FKA Twigs - Magdalene (2nd Album) | Page 2 | The Popjustice Forum

FKA Twigs - Magdalene (2nd Album)

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Nightclubbing, May 14, 2016.

1. The extent of her fame is my casual music listener fans querying whether any not super well known female* that appears on music TV is "Robert pattisons twig person"

* Charli XCX, Jess glynne etc

Anyway I'm hoping that she achieves Bjork/Tori/Nine Inch Nails/Tool/PJ Harvey levels of cult followings.

Saycsar Fleurima likes this.
  2. That she keeps getting compared to those two in particular always fucks me up a bit, I don't know what sort of planetary alignment happens in January but

[​IMG]

3. If Twigs releases soon I shall squint and pretend it's Tinashe.

Kyle., TrainJumper, Jacques and 3 others like this.
  4. There is no denying the parallels are there. At the same time, I understand why twigs dislikes the fact she gets often linked to R&B goddesses (whom she's a big fan of, I'm sure) when she doesn't feel her music can be ascribed to the genre.

Female artists suffer from facile comparisons a lot. No matter what references they bring out, it is more likely for them to be compared to one of the Iconic Women of Music™ on the vaguest grounds than to their actual muses. If you sum pussy to an electronic instrument of any kind, you get systematically a Björk. Add pussy to a piano and here's a Tori Amos for you. Sprinkle it with Merriam-Webster powder to enjoy a brand new Fiona Apple. If you play guitar, don't despair: chances are high your pussy is a PJ Harvey. Is your pussy out of breath? Then it's a Janet Jackson that you have. Pussy that's a little wacky but delightfully tuneful descends always from Kate Bush's. Extra points if you can make her dance a little. And if you've made a name for yourself in mainstream pop music, don't think you can fool us: we know your pussy is actually Madonna's.

5. Six-seven pussies in one post, do we have a PJ record?
    (Great points and phrasing, though)

Psycho likes this.
  6. I understand your assertions, but I didn't make the initial comparisons, I was merely explaining why some would connect the two. My aim was not to unfairly malign women as having to be comparable to another in order to validate the artistry or worth. We are all human beings; I would hope our individuality as such would speak for itself. As it were, some of those who have stated these comparisons here have been women themselves, if that makes any difference.

LE0Night and MarlonBrando86 like this.
  7. Of course, of course! I wasn't referring to your post in particular. You did a great job in explaining how twigs continues the royal line of Sade and Aaliyah. My point was more general. I was aiming at the odious breed of lazy journalists, people who would rather privilege the obvious than good old research. I've always thought it's unfair the things artists disclose about themselves get often overlooked in favour of easier associations. Poly Styrene or Adam Ant are the people twigs looks up to and yet it's Kelela and SZA who come up in the pieces about her. Bat for Lashes could repeat forever how much she loves Bruce Springsteen and Peter Gabriel and yet it's always Björk and Kate Bush she will be compared to. It's irksome.

8. God, she is so remarkably talented. I can't wait for this album.

And you can always rely on her to serve such looks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Assorted highlights:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the Dazed shoot was flaw free from start to finish:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1991, constantino, Vesperly and 4 others like this.
  10. She makes me so obsessed with her Art... seriously.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1991, HazMango, constantino and 3 others like this.
  11. You're confusing "influenced by" with "if you like this, you'll probably love this too". It's okay?

12. I have a sinking feeling she'll be inactive for basically this whole year and hit us with LP2 in early 2017.

13. There's such huge potential with her. I'd love her to go supernova and fuck up the music world and our lives.

14. Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  15. They're bleached dreadlocks!
    [​IMG]

It's beyond me how she manages to be consistently flawless as it were nothing. What a gift to music she is.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
    1991, HazMango, constantino and 9 others like this.
  16. WOW WOW WOW
    WOW WOW WOW
    WOW WOW WOW
    WOW WOW WOW
    WOW WOW WOW

LE0Night likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.