Flashforward | The Popjustice Forum

Flashforward

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Dazzle, Sep 27, 2009.

1. This started in America last week and is on in the UK tomorrow.

It is amazing.

Discuss.

2. I didn't get to see it yet, but if the little LOST tie-in/crossover/'inside joke' thing is true I think I may be a little annoyed.

3. The only thing similar to Lost is the flashforward obviously but I can see it moving in a completely different direction. Remember the pilot episode of Lost and where it is now. Who would have seen that coming?

I find hearing Penelope Widmore talking with an American accent strange though!

4. In the first episode of FF there's a billboard advertising the Oceanic airplane, that evidently featured in Lost. So I'm sure as it progresses there'll be more than a passing resemblance.

5. Oh I didn't even notice that!

6. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Oh, OK.

Maybe it will be like when people in Brookside were talking about the Emmerdale plane crash as if it was a real event.

7. SockMonkey

SockMonkey Guest

Really looking forward to this starting tomorrow. Nice of a terrestrial channel to show it so quickly after the US transmission too. This could be the first thing I've ever watched on Five.

8. Yeah, I should have mentioned it in my post, the billboard apparently says something like (SPOILERZ) "Oceanic Airlines: 30 Years Crash-Free."

So is it a tie-in or is it just something to make the Internetters lose their shit until January... who knows.

9. I have reservations (I have no patience with Lost and FF is very obviously designed to step into Lost's shoes when Lost ends) but the cast is pretty full of excellence, isn't it?

10. Well both shows are ABC so its clearly a hint about season 6 of Lost. That poster also goes with the Oceanic advert from Comic Con so I think we can all predict how season 6 is going to start!

11. justabluefox

justabluefox Guest

I stopped watching the show after the first four minutes because I was bored (It's horrible I know) but this thread made me give it another chance so I went on Hulu and watched the whole episode and I really loved it. I hope it doesn't get canceled!

Also, I stopped watching Lost after the first couple episodes of season 2 but I wish I hadn't. I keep forgetting to remind myself to go on wikipedia or something to catch myself up. Anyway, I thought it was pretty cool to have the Oceanic Airlines Billboard.

12. SockMonkey

SockMonkey Guest

Yay, that was great! Addicted already.

The kangaroo is the key!

13. Watched the first episode - good cast, but it's a little slowly paced for my tastes.

14. I was trying to look if he had a Dharma logo on him!

15. SockMonkey

SockMonkey Guest

Please tell me that's sarcasm! The entire world figured out what had happened in 15 minutes flat!

16. Absolutely brilliant. It makes you wonder why no-one thinks up these ideas before, it's such a strong premise and the realism of how they've dealt with the entire world stopping for two minutes twelve seconds is astounding.

Although it seems to have recovered itself rather well. But I suppose it would.

Looking forward to seeing Mr. Monoghan again.

17. Watched it last night and... well I liked it, but I'm nowhere near as impressed as everyone else seems to be. If I were one of the characters, at this point I'd dramatically run and jump on a car to survey the scene. But I don't have to, y'know, because I'm on a raised fucking freeway and can see everything anyway. And here's my first problem: it's all overly dramatic, which is an achievement considering the scale of the problem the show is addressing. But do we really need an "I'm running to rock music to FIND MY FAMILY!" scene?

The premise is indeed brilliant, but the cast aren't really that great. A lot of the dialogue was corny, and the unraveling of what the blackouts were seemed contrived and unbelievable. "It felt like a memory... of the future." Hmm. Sonya Walger fell out of her American accent quite a few times, which sort of annoyed me; there's no reason she couldn't have just been cast as an expat British character. Jack Davenport also seems oddly cast, as I'm too used to him being a bumbling idiot, but we only saw about three seconds of his character so I guess he still has plenty of time to convince me.

Overall, I'm not sure if it's the script or the acting that's dodgy, but I'm nowhere near as impressed as I was when Lost or Prison Break started.

I did love the kangaroo though.

18. There's a lot of Brits being American in it aren't there. Apart from Alex Kingston who is just too plummy to even attempt an American accent.

I did enjoy it, and the post-blackout scene on the freeway was very Lost episode one.

I hope that they don't overuse the notice board as a plot device, as it just reminds me of the Usual Suspects.

19. SockMonkey

SockMonkey Guest

I think I'm forgiving of the flaws because I love the concept. Yes, Sonya Walger's accent was weird. The working out of what happened in 5 minutes flat and no other explanations even being considered was silly. BUT it also means there was no messing around, and not 3 episodes of exposition - there was no need. It crammed a lot of story into 42 minutes, and we can already expect progression in episode two.

It did really well in the ratings in the US too, #1 in it's timeslot and 4th most watched programme of the night. Fingers crossed it can keep up the momentum and at least gets a full season - no having to wrap things up in 9 episodes or something stupid.

20. The concept is amazing and it looks good (as does Joseph Fiennes), the dialogue isn't so good, it's rather pedestrian, but I will keep watching.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.