Florence + The Machine - High As Hope | Page 10 | The Popjustice Forum

Florence + The Machine - High As Hope

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by xOJakeXo, May 28, 2017.

1. All three albums are brilliant. I understand the criticisms of Ceremonials but I love how it just knocks you over the head continuously. She pushed it all to the max on that album, and while I absolutely appreciate her stripping it all back for the followup, it doesn’t diminish the power and beauty in the songs on Ceremonials.

2. What Kind Of Man > HBHBHB > Queen Of Peace was (and still is) my favourite run of three tracks in a row on an album since State Of Grace > Red > Treacherous. It's just wonderful.

3. Legitimately three of her best songs.

4. I didn't realise that would be an unpopular opinion! The harsh honky tonk in Breaking Down ruins it for me, Seven Devils wants to be ~ooky spooky~ but doesn't really get there so it just sounds a bit fairground-haunted-housey, and Remain Nameless... exists, I guess? I mean, the "worst" for Florence is still pretty good by most standards, but they're definitely the songs I care about least in her discography.

AlisodoTheBambino likes this.
  5. I agree with you. Breaking Down is such a non event

justFurio and Animalia like this.
  6. OspreyQueen

OspreyQueen Staff Member

Ceremonials is solid, but I find it sort of feels like the band imitating themselves. How Big and Lungs feel more down to Earth.

7. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Seven Devils is horrible. Lungs and How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful are totally dud free, Ceremonials has the aforementioned bore and Leave My Body.

8. Remain Nameless is their worst song! It’s actually worse than Florence’s song with Calvin Harris!

Minus Remain Nameless, Ceremonials is flawless. Lungs is (obviously) a great album. HBHBHB was excellent! But I need Florence to return to her whimsical lyrics for the next album.

9. Seven Devils is one of my favorite Florence tracks. For me it's like a religious experience. How can anyone hate that divine ending when everything just builds up to this chant-like hymn??

10. Giving My Boy Builds Coffins a spin. Lungs is such a great album to see in the spring/summertime and dust off the cobwebs of winter depression while still being draped in blissful, golden sun-drenched melancholy. An album ya'll.

11. Howl, though. What a song.

12. I agree baby. Lungs takes me back to my freshman year of uni, when I was young and pruned.

13. WHAT. Devils all around me indeed.

Florence doesn't even have worst songs. Everything exists on a spectrum of biblically, world apocalyptically epic to marginally less amazing.

How Big is her best but Ceremonials isn't exactly short on towering highs either.

14. RJF

RJF

Ferk and Subwaykid like this.
  15. Bad joke.

Really bad joke.

TR, justFurio, Ferk and 1 other person like this.
  16. Excuse me, Seven Devils is a great song.

17. Not here at all for the Remain Nameless hate, that is out Howl levels of deep cut for me.

Lander, Trouble in Paradise and Ferk like this.
  18. "Remain Nameless" is excellent and a great change of pace for Flo + the Machine at the time. Showed she can pull off some moody synthwork just as well as the harps and the strings and the bluster.

19. Just a load of awful opinions these past two pages.

20. yeah i'm not having this Remain Nameless slander no ma'am

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.