Florrie - The Lost Ones

This has been such a long time coming and getting to press play on a Florrie album felt like such a gift this morning. It's a really stand out record and I'm so proud she has finally been album to put this out.

Her songs have always had a great under current of production and coupling that would some better lyrics has really brought things to life in a new, polished, way.

She's a real master of a chorus and The Lost Ones, Never Far From Paradise and Kissing In The Cold have become amoungst her best for me. I also think Jealous is a really beautiful album closer where she really demonstrates that growth with a wonderful balance of soft instrumental and more advanced lyracism

Looking for Love is done so much justice and that one two punch that comes with it going into If It's Been A Hard Night is a real flex. The album version of I Took A Little Something is bittersweet because the old version was perfect, but that can be easily switched around.

So proud of my girl. I can't imagine how difficult the last decade has been for her but the persistence really paid off.

So happy she's finally been able to release this album.

It's generally a cute little selection of songs - but I would lie if I said I did not miss the special spark and experimental vibes from the early days. It's all fairly straightforward pop with little that can stand out - it's a lot of the same sound repeated throughout unfortunately.

"Looking for Love" is obviously the highlight on the album (with "Kissing in the Cold") and I still can't believe we finally have it as an official release. My heart still prefers the demo version - the pulsing beat on it just makes it pop even more.

I refuse to listen to that new version of "I Took A Little Something" ever again...

Did you get the personalised signed card?
I'm in the middle of a house move so regrettably haven't opened it up just yet, in fear of damaging it - sorry! I'm desperate to find out, though when I opened the package, the vinyl was fully sealed so I'm hoping it's hidden in there...

Slightly shameless self-plug moment, but earlier this week I had the pleasure of interviewing her for my friend's magazine, ReVamp. Feel free to have a read here! She was genuinely such a pleasure to talk to, she was very open about everything and seems so proud of this moment. And yes, I did bring up her being a Popjustice lurker so there's a little moment in there for you all... And I'm sorry I didn't specifically suggest the CD release request that's cropped up more recently!

I've not been this excited for an album release in such a long time, so pressing play this morning was a real thrill. Looking For Love took me by surprise, I was casually bopping away and then that chorus hit, I hadn't clocked that this was the final version having been so used to the demo. I'm really loving it though, it's surreal this is finally available on streaming!
The whole album is a triumph, can't wait to become even more familiar with it.

Slightly shameless self-plug moment, but earlier this week I had the pleasure of interviewing her for my friend's magazine, ReVamp. Feel free to have a read here! She was genuinely such a pleasure to talk to, she was very open about everything and seems so proud of this moment. And yes, I did bring up her being a Popjustice lurker so there's a little moment in there for you all... And I'm sorry I didn't specifically suggest the CD release request that's cropped up more recently!
That's a very nice interview, thanks for posting!

I respect her decision to rework and include I Took A Little Something and Get You Back, but still wish those two spots had gone to unreleased tracks. I think Galaxies would have fit perfectly on this album, and a reworked Go would have been most welcome too. And that ever elusive Call 911 as well. But I'll shut up about it and enjoy the album for what it is.

A 2024 version of I Took A Little Something?

One of the BEST songs of all time getting a re-release? Writing fanfic in my head where it becomes a late summer number one.

:(

Someone let me know when they make a superior 2024 version without removing everything that made this song so great.

And is there any chance any more of those old, lost classics could make their way into the light?

"Right now, no," Florrie answers, before suddenly thinking of something. "But you mentioned Galaxies and you've got me thinking...I would definitely consider putting Galaxies out. We could definitely do something great with that..."

Justice for Galaxies!

And is there any chance any more of those old, lost classics could make their way into the light?

"Right now, no," Florrie answers, before suddenly thinking of something. "But you mentioned Galaxies and you've got me thinking...I would definitely consider putting Galaxies out. We could definitely do something great with that..."

Justice for Galaxies!
What have Go and Stupid Boy done to her? Re-record those, love!

20240614-160152.jpg

Awwww, you are so welcome hun xx

So happy to get the vinyl today! Very proud of Florrie for this body of work and her persistence! So nice to have a pop star who is truly genuine and loves her music and fans this much!

AND...

I like the new version of ITALS

He/Him
Loving the album! You can definitely hear the Xenomania sparkle in these songs. It's going to take some time to get used to the new lyrics of "I Took A Little Something" but overall this is solid and I'm so glad she finally has a proper album out after all these years!

Gave it a listen before work, and overall really enjoyed it! I'll reserve a fuller breakdown until I give it a few more listens, but surprisingly the rerecorded backlog tracks didn't stick in my craw as much as I thought they would - I Took A Little Something may be one of my favorite pop songs ever and is guaranteed to make me sob my eyes out when I hear it, and Looking For Love was, imo, one of her best leaked tracks; I'm glad to have new versions of both, even if I'll almost certainly defer to the originals on my own time.

That being said, the new version of Gonna Get You Back....I dunno, it being rerecorded in a higher key startled me at first, and only one line being changed ("Got your hands around my waist/Got HER lipstick mark on your face" to "Got your hands around my waist/Got MY lipstick mark on your face")...Where's the lyrical tension? Got even more startled when I was looking through my old social media posts to find an inevitable near-decade-old one that said that her album was really actually coming out in 2016 so I could share it for a laugh, and found one where I said I had a dream that she had rerecorded an older song for her album and changed up the lyrics....Spooky!

Edit so I don't double-post:

:(

Someone let me know when they make a superior 2024 version without removing everything that made this song so great.

Not to toot my own horn too much, but something like this? I spliced together the new verses in place of the original's second verse, so everything else is intact:

Last edited: