"Follow This You Bitches" - The Cher Appreciation Thread | The Popjustice Forum

"Follow This You Bitches" - The Cher Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by Baby Clyde, May 20, 2011.

?

Is Cher The Greatest Human Being To Have Ever Lived?

1. Yes

2. Yes

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. I have a horrible feeling that the kids of today don't appreciate the almighty Cher in the way that they obviously should. They probably think she's that strange woman with an immobile face who stole the show from Xtina in Burlesque or that drag queen who held Gaga's meat purse at the MTV Awards or that rapper girl of X Factors grandmother. Not the greatest, record breaking, genre busting, trend setting, movie conquering, age defying, pop goddess of all time.

She had her first number one in 1965 at age 19 and was number one on the US dance chart last December at the age of 64!!!

From her hippy folk beginnings with husband Sonny.......

[​IMG]

she transformed herself into the premier female pop star of the early 70's with a string of fantabulous story songs like 'Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves' (1971), 'Half Breed' (1973) and 'Dark Lady' (1974) all of which were US number ones.

[​IMG]

She reinvented herself as a huge TV star in the 70's with 'The Sonny and Cher Comedy Hour'

[​IMG]

And transformed herself into the #1 fashion plate of the time with her magnificent Bob Mackie gowns..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    She made a sensational chart comeback in 1979 with her disco classic 'Take Me Home'

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Before changing tack completely duetting with Meatloaf on the rock stomper 'Dead Ringer For Love'

And making her stage acting debut on Broadway in 'Come Back To The Five and Dime Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean', which was made into a film and led to her holding her own against Meryl Streep and nabbing an Oscar nom playing against type as dowdy lovelorn lesbian in 'Silkwood'

[​IMG]

At this point her acting career took over and she won the Best Actress award at Cannes for Mask......................

[​IMG]

When she wasn't Oscar nommed for the role she wore this to the awards you in a giant 'fuck you' to the academy and in doing so invented the tradition of wowing people with elaborate costumes on red carpets................

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In 1987 she ruled the world. Winning the Oscar for her luminous performance in 'Moonstruck'

and well as having hits with 'The Witches of Eastwick' and 'Suspect'. She then made a sensational return to music, reinventing herself as a queen of the power ballad. Her comeback single 'I Found Someone' was a Top 10 single on both sides of the Atlantic.

And at the same time invented 'Toy Boys' dating Tom Cruise, Val Kilmer and most famously her bagel boy Rob Camilletti...
    [​IMG]

Making a full time return to music she made one of the most iconic musical images ever with her cannon straddling/fishnet body stocking wearing appearance in her 'If I Could Turn Back Time' video................

Taken from her film 'Mermaids' her single 'The Shoop, Shoop Song' was a worldwide smash in 1991 giving her, her first solo UK number one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It stayed there for 5 weeks and her next album 'Love Hurts' also hit the top spot and went triple platinum in the UK.

[​IMG]

The early 90's were a quiet period for Cher. After being much derided for appearing in infomercials for a good friend. She was diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome and stayed out of the public eye for while (She was still in the papers every week of course). Strangely during the mid 90's she moved to Docklands and seemed to appear on TFI Friday with Chris Evans every week???? She also managed another number 1 hit, joining up with Chrissie Hynde, Neneh Cherry and Eric Clapton for Comic Relief with 'Love Will Build A Bridge'.

All of this would have been more enough to qualify her as one of the greatest entertainers of all time and yet at an age when most female performers are winding down she staged the greatest comeback in musical history (Well maybe equal biggest alongside her good friend Tina). I don't need to go into all the details about the success of 'Believe' but it went to number 1 in 23 countries, sold over 10 million copies worldwide stayed at the top in the UK for 7 weeks and is still the biggest selling song by a female artist here. It won a Grammy and gave Cher her first US number 1 in 23 years.
    [​IMG]

Her follow up album 'Living Proof' was not such a success but her 'Farewell Tour' was such a huge hit that it continued for nearly 3 years!!!!!
    [​IMG]

Then all went quite!!! Despite persistent rumours of a new record they it never materialised and apart from a cameo role in the hilarious 'Stuck On You' there were no films either. In 2008 she took up a 3 year residency in Vegas (I still can't believe I didn't go!!!) but didn't really return to the limelight until her triumphant appearance, showing the youngsters how it's done in 'Burlesque' at the end of last year.......

[​IMG]

After all 'It Takes A Legend, To Make A Star'!!!

Apparently there is new rock album out later this year but even if that doesn't happen we still have 46 years of incredible Cher moment to look back at and enjoy.

This thread is here so that we can all discuss her utter fabulousness, post our favourite Cher moments and generally worship at her altar.

Every single modern female pop star from Madonna to Gaga has a debt to pay to this incredible woman who is probably the greatest survivor in showbiz. She's done more or less everything that it's possible to do and most importantly always with a sense of style and humour. She's the ultimate diva but has never, ever been a diva.

And on top of all that her daughter is now a man.

[​IMG]

She is my favourite person in the entire world.

It's her 65th birthday today and she currently look like this.......

[​IMG]

As a special tribute I'm asking everyone on Popjustice to change their picture to one of Cher in celebration. It's the least you can do. Basically.............

WE ARE NOT WORTHY!!!

Or as Cher would say....................

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  2. Ha, there is no way I can follow all that!

Cher came to me late in life (well, not quite true...17 maybe); the AOR Michael Bolton years, as was.

I've amassed quite a bit of her catalogue; enough to painstakingly compile a 6-disc (SIX!) anthology of various highlights, from the fab 60s stuff through the 70s, 80s, 90s and probably a few new-ish tracks on there too if memory serves.

Mermaids was great, too.

So, yeah. Yeah for Cher. Ooh, poet...etc.

3. My mother is a massive Cher fan, so I basically grew up with her playing a lot. I prefer her when she's slightly rocky (Dead Ringer, Walking In Memphis, Turn Back Time), but she's undoubtedly amazing, especially to have kept going so long. I do wish she'd get a move on with either the rock or country albums she's mentioned.

4. Ive always known of Cher, and her legendery career since i was a kid. but was never a follower, until i was on youtube recently and came across this...

http://youtu.be/hzmpJpXkLLA

Kinda been obsessed ever since.

5. I once had a dream that I was Cher giving Father Antonio (from Sunset Beach) a blow-job on a lamp-post. This was in 1998. Just thought I'd 'Cher' that.

I can't believe you glossed over It's A Man's World (IAMW). For me, both her 1995 album (albeit the European version) and 1975's Stars are her big artistic triumphs (I connect them with the gospel touches of Geronimo's Cadillac and Walking In Memphis, and the more meditative The Gunman and her first and superior recording of Love Hurts). I think Take Me Home is an interesting era, as she followed it up with a more-of-the-same album (although she did throw in some 'rock' songs, of which Boys & Girls is a favourite, and it's actually the better album), which is what happens again in the late 80s over three records, and then she chucks another more-of-the-same album at us after hitting a career jackpot with Believe. The first ever album I bought was Love Hurts on cassette - I chose it because of the cover, where she just looked so intriguing and a different sort of glamourous.

Even if I don't like her Geffen albums too much now, the singles are amongst her biggest hits, and her I Paralyze album outclasses them despite having some of the same songwriters (the ABBA-tastic Back On The Street Again is magnificent and hilarious, When The Love Is Gone one of her best torch-ballads, Walk With Me is like her Rolling Back The Rivers In Time, the title track has the unforgettable chuckle from Cher "you're as a real as a dollar bill..." and Rudy goes back to her 60s girlgroup-ish pop past.

She really doesn't have a bad album. Even her experiments such as Black Rose (Never Should Have Started is my favourite song to impersonate her with, but some of the songs are rather 'butch' shall we say) and Allman & Woman (Move Me is their Heaven Must Be Missing An Angel, but cheaper).

On another note, Chaz is on the Wendy WIlliams show today here in the UK (11am, channel BET). There really is just too much to write about with Cher: she has so many stages and her appeal crosses over on a multitude of levels. I think she was basically the very first drag queen.

If I had to, I could list my favourite Cher songs over maybe 4 CDs minimum.

6. Weirdly, this seems to be one of my favourite Cher songs. A contender for my favourite Cher album would be 3614 Jackson Highway - the expanded version anyway, I haven't worked out how much I'd like it if I only counted eleven tracks.

I was obsessed with Cher's son Elijah Blue's band Deadsy for a while. She Likes Big Words is an amazing song. Did anyone ever hear her duet with him on the track from the soundtrack to A Walk on the Moon? I've wanted it for ages, but the CD's always too expensive, and it doesn't appear to have appeared on any of the stores I buy downloads from.

7. Pye

Pye

Just wondering if any one knows if 'A Woman's Story is available anywhere on CD?

8. Happy birthday Cher - god bless you ma'am!

I first became obsessed with Cher as a teenager with The Shoop Shoop Song, I remember listening to the radio all the time just to hear it and being so excited when it got to number one.

That led me to buying Cher, Heart of Stone and Love Hurts and watching Mermaids, The Witches of Eastwick, Mask... She is one of the few performers who is as talented an actress as she is a singer.

Of course the late 90s comeback was phenomenal. I may have overplayed Believe (the single) now but I sitll love those two albums with Living Proof being my favourite Cher album (and in my all time Top 10 albums).

I love the woman and her Farewell Tour was the best concert I have ever been to, truly spectacular with so many wig and costume changes and one of the best back catalogues in music history. It really was a privilege to be in the same room as a living legend.

9. It's on an album 'Phil Spector 74/79', that's all I know. I wonder if she recorded more songs with Spector, but the recording sessions were really expensive so perhaps not.

P.S, I mentioned I didn't think Cher had a bad album... I forgot about Cherished (I honestly couldn't listen to that one, it was so contrived to the point that it doesn't warrant discussion).

10. Cherished is one of the five Cher albums I don't own. Guess I'm not missing much in this specific case then!

11. Which ones don't you have?

I'm open to giving Cherished another chance, but I listened to it after being blown away by the lushness of Stars and select moments from I'd Rather Believe In You (ie, the title track mainly), so it was judged harshly. It was an attempt to recreate the 'narrative' magic of Dark Lady, etc, so it was intentionally different from those I guess.

For this new album, I expect such great things, but also fear the worst (I am NOT a fan of her Diane Warren stuff besides Turn Back Time, which I love simply because the vocal is so gigantic, violent even, and expressive).

12. Well, that'll be two of the others I don't own! I don't have Backstage or the Allman and Woman albums either. I've been holding out on buying the vinyl of those '70s albums in the hope that they'd one day be issued on CD, but I guess that's probably unlikely at this stage. Conversely, I'm waiting till I can find a reasonably priced vinyl copy of Backstage (because I am nothing if not contrary). I ordered myself a Sonny & Cher compilation this week, as the only stuff I have is the odd track on Cher compilations, but I'm not expecting to like it very much.

13. I'm very heartened by your love of Cher, Mr G but I do have to ask if that is so why do you still have a some woman who used to be in Eastenders as your avatar???

VivaForever likes this.
  14. Well I spoke to her yesterday and she said that she's delaying her forthcoming album because not enough people are using her picture on PJ to celebrate her birthday!!!

15. Baby Clyde likes this.
  16. I knew you were going to say that. I was going to put it in but I didn't for several reasons.

Firstly I didn't want to cover everything as then no one would have anything to add. I want people to discuss their favourite Cher moments and if I'd mentioned everything there would be nothing left to talk about.

Also the above email took me nearly 4 hours as my computer kept freezing and I was scared thaat I was going to lose the whole thing. I ended up leaving loads of stuff out to get it finished quicker.

I would be overjoyed if you posted about the delights of 'It's A Man's World' and 'One By One'.

17. WAHOO!!!!

That's the spirit August Moon.

a Sonny and Cher tribute.

I LOVE it.

18. I LOVE Cher. So many amazing songs and Mermaids is one of my favourite films. I remember crying with frustration trying to learn to play The shoop shoop song on the piano when I was younger (It's no wonder everyone knew that I was gay before I did).

Her cameos on Will&Grace make me cry with laughter. This is the better one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnLf7ghM-6E

19. It's A Man's World is such an underrated/overlooked album. I think it might even be my favourite of the post-87 efforts. She had the nous to cover a Prefab Sprout song, for chrissakes!

I'll look into the avatar situation....

20. I remember buying It's a Man's World at the time - on cassette, natch - and thinking it was properly amazing. I thought One by One was the best thing ever. I haven't listened to it in years - I might have to dig it out and listen to it in honour of the birthday.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.