"Follow This You Bitches" - The Cher Appreciation Thread | Page 45 | The Popjustice Forum

"Follow This You Bitches" - The Cher Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by Baby Clyde, May 20, 2011.

?

Is Cher The Greatest Human Being To Have Ever Lived?

1. Yes

2. Yes

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Sounds fantastic, love things like these.

2. The "dramatised extracts" - I have no words.

All this made me want to do is look into if there are any actual decent biographical Cher shows out there.

3. I recorded it as was too tired to focus on it. A mixed result then perhaps?

4. Does anyone know what's happening with the Love Hurts album in the UK and why is it not available for months now on Spotify

5. I watched that Cher docu-drama, and quite liked it! Though am openly a sucker for these things!

CDMCLP likes this.
  6. I lasted about 3 minutes before turning it off.

7. Thank you to @idratherjack for introducing me to Living Proof. I will be sending you the bill for my tattered scalp and ruined wig collection.

8. Living Proof is a fantastic album, way better than the multi million seller that came before it. She obviously decided to disown it half way through the campaign which is a shame as it should have been huge.

idratherjack, Mikey1701 and Anthboy1 like this.
  9. “Half way”? Didn’t it have like six singles?

10. That was the record company churning out singles to try and recoup their cost. I don't any of them were even released in the UK after The Music's No Good Without You.

I remember reading something at the time that Cher didn't want to do another dance project but had been persuaded to so. When the first single kind of flopped she lost interest and refused to do any more promo. Says on wiki.....

"Alive Again" was released exclusively throughout Europe, but the song failed to pick up the attention that "The Music's No Good Without You" received. The single in part suffered from a lack of promotion. In early 2002 Cher had complications with her record company which affected the further promotion for the single, because of this the future plans to release "Song for the Lonely" and "A Different Kind of Love Song" as European singles were dropped. Although "The Music's No Good Without You" was previously released as a club single in the United States, "Alive Again" remains unreleased in North America."

The whole campaign was a bit of a debacle and she went on tour for the next 3 years instead.

idratherjack and jakeyfw like this.
  11. Living Proof is an incredible album.

My highlights being the beautiful:

And:

idratherjack and POPGASM like this.
  12. Real Love was always my favourite track....

The_Rani, Mikey1701, Liberty and 3 others like this.
  13. I will never understand how the UK record company botched this release. Every song could have been a single, and they abandoned the album after the first single underperformed. This was that weird era in the early 2000s when acts were dropped if the first single didn't make top 5 (see Holly Valance, Blondie, Rachel Stevens), but what a missed opportunity. Such a strong pop album, and so much more consistent than believe. At least the album did OK in the States.

idratherjack likes this.
  14. But she wouldn't do any more promotion. It was 1 TOTP's appearance and she fucked of back to America and then on tour.

Why was this the lead single? It's really underwhelming.

jakeyfw and cjwhite1 like this.
  15. The album charting at #46 in the UK probably didn't help things either.

Strange that it flopped quite so badly over here though, considering how huge the Believe era had been.

16. It was completely the wrong first single. I love it now but it’s not an instant song at all.

I think When The Money’s Gone would’ve been the best first single but there’s plenty that are more instant than The Music’s No Good Without You.

V3RYP05H likes this.
  17. Living Proof is one of my favourite dance albums, A Different Kind and Real Love are bops and When You Walk Away almost makes me cry.

idratherjack likes this.
  18. I read those quotes as being the record label not wanting to promote it after the “failure” of The Music’s No Good Without You rather than Cher refusing to promote it.

19. I always think its odd that The Music's No Good Without You is branded a flop when it was a Top 10 hit.

Living Proof is my favourite dance Cher album and joint favourite with Heart of Stone for pop/rock Cher. Such a shame the whole campaign finished after the one single, imagine a singles run of

Song For The Lonely
    Alive Again
    Different Kind of Love Song
    You Take It All

What an era that could have been!

jakeyfw likes this.
  20. Actually I don’t think that shows the album off best. I love Alive Again but it’s a bit bland. I don’t really like A Different Kind Of Love Song.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.