"Follow This You Bitches" - The Cher Appreciation Thread | Page 46 | The Popjustice Forum

"Follow This You Bitches" - The Cher Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by Baby Clyde, May 20, 2011.

?

Is Cher The Greatest Human Being To Have Ever Lived?

1. Yes

2. Yes

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Whereas those are my two favourites!

You Take It All is stunning - please tell me you like that?!

AlmostFamous and Mikey1701 like this.
  2. I didn’t at the time but it’s grown on me.

3. What singles would you have chosen from Living Proof? It's such a strong album nearly every track could have been one.

4. Real Love, When The Money's Gone, Alive Again and Love Is a Lonely Place Without You would have been my choices. Just in a better order.

cjwhite1 and idratherjack like this.
  5. Well.. “Song For The Lonely” is the last great Cher single in my honest opinion so it needed to be a single.

“Alive Again” is so not memorable though. I honestly forgot what it sounded like and was surprised to find it was on The Very Best Of Cher I have. I can’t speak for what should be singles but there are definitely stronger choices than that one.

6. Love reading all the Living Proof appreciation, it's my favourite Cher album. I've never thought The Music's No Good Without You was anything but the perfect follow-up to Believe, but I think the UK press had already started with the whole "Cher can't sing anymore!" crap, she didn't stand a chance.

You Take It All is my favourite Cher song ever.

idratherjack likes this.
  7. You Take It All is breathtaking.

In a parallel universe that was as big a hit as Believe.

cjwhite1, chrisconfessed and POPGASM like this.
  8. Song for the Lonely was the obvious first single. The Music's No Good was almost a parody with all the effects, as much as I loved it, it was fairly ridiculous.

V3RYP05H and idratherjack like this.
  9. I love The Music's No Good Without You, but I agree it wasn't first-single material.

10. The Music's No Good Without You is like a French & Saunders parody of a Cher song ie amazing.

The_Rani and V3RYP05H like this.
  11. I have to laugh at the idea of "promo" for it as a single (having seen the TOTP clip). Lip syncing is nothing new for her but the sheer amount of vocoder on it makes it look so goofy.

The_Rani likes this.
  12. I think Song For The Lonely (even though I don’t really get it, I can see that it’s anthemic), When The Money’s Gone, a change of pace in You Take It All (looking back; at the time I would’ve been furious) and maybe Real Love. I love Body to Body but it’s a bit derivative. Maybe Love One Another.

13. Cher really should’ve lost the vocoder on Living Proof. Not to mention Closer To The Truth (still think it should’ve been called Dressed To Kill, with different cover photos), not to mention the Abba album. No more vocoder (enough is enough)!

I mean do they really think Believe was such a big hit just because of the freaking vocoder?! Do they think people only loved the vocoder? That’s just insane. It was a hit because it was a great tune with banging production, and the vocoder was max 20 % of the whole thing. Yet we’ve now had four freaking albums with robot Cher instead of real Cher, who even doesn’t need to have her voice altered! That’s just... unnecessary, unforgivable and WRONG. She’s selling herself short.

I genuinely wish one day we’ll get new versions of the last three albums without the vocoder (on Believe it can stay), but guess that’s just a dream.

As for the Living Proof singles... Yeah, maybe Song For The Lonely would’ve been a better lead single everywhere, or maybe When The Money’s Gone, even if I absolutely adored The Music’s No Good Without You, my favourite on the album. Along with Love Is A Lonely Place Without You, which was wasted not being released as a single, as was You Take It All. Those five tracks are clearly the best ones on the album, which as a whole was a bit too samey and way too much trying to recreate Believe and All Or Nothing. Most of the songs were just not as good as on Believe, which actually had more diversity instead of just one sound.

whitesoxxx and cjwhite1 like this.
  14. I remember when they remixed All or Nothing to have extra Auto-Tune/Vocoder. Unnecessary.

Disco Blister likes this.
  15. This.

I feel the opposite in that it's a strong and cohesive collection but I'm struggling to suggest a better single run to be honest. I think the Believe singles were super strong, and obvious. The other tracks whilst also good were very much 'album'.

Song For the Lonely, The Music's No Good Without You (I do love this), and You Take It All would be my best stab at it!

idratherjack likes this.

16. Well
    this fucked me up. I legit thought it was the name of the album! I even revisited it yesterday on iTunes and went “ooh let me snag the title track”.

Disco Blister likes this.
  17. This and dressed to kill should have been singles from Closer.

And When the moneys gone from Living Proof is an absolute banger and was my choice for single. The remixes from the American single were dire though.

18. I love the mixes of All or Nothing. All beefed up and sounding fabulous. It may be my favourite single from Believe.

Mikey1701, The_Rani and cjwhite1 like this.
  19. I was soooo happy they included it on the stage show, was always my favorite Living Proof single.

POPGASM likes this.
  20. Don’t get me wrong, I adore All or Nothing but it didn’t need the auto-tune.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.