Food & Drink | Page 34 | The Popjustice Forum

Food & Drink

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by inanotherlife, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

Yassss!

I recently tried braising for the first time a couple weeks back since my grocery shop started carrying inexpensive beef short ribs. I went for a keto recipe

[​IMG]

after picking them up, and they came out yummy as hell. The searing really is key for getting the meat to break down and become mad tender.

aux and Artemisia like this.
  2. Andrew.L, Vasilios and aux like this.
  3. I'm on my sixth week of using Gousto and my experience has been much the same. A '4 meal' box has 8 meals if you're single so I always have leftovers for lunch the next day, or I'll make the same dinner twice. I've lost 9lbs of 'lockdown weight' without really doing anything else.

[​IMG]

Andrew.L and jordxn like this.
  4. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

Made a lil riff on this today

[​IMG]
    https://zestfulkitchen.com/lamb-vindaloo-recipe/?r_done=1

Rather recently, I've been going to the supermarket and picking new cuts of meat that I haven't extensively explored yet. I stopped in Whole Foods while out and found a few simmer sauces that I like, before settling on vindaloo, which I don't usually see, which called for pork or lamb shoulder, so I headed to pick up some lamb as I've only ever prepared it in ground form during Thanksgiving years ago. I then tried to find a recipe that would incorporate both elements to a certain degree, but played with the recipe/technique(s) a bit instead:

- I used the simmer sauce as a marinade after slicing the shoulder into triangular chunks, adding some chili oil, cinnamon, red pepper flakes, cinnamon, garlic powder, diced onions, cayenne pepper, coarse black pepper, and ginger. I left it to marinate for 8 hours while out.
    - Next, heated 1 cup of coconut oil in a large pot, then added the marinated lamb, bringing it to boil over medium heat. I wanted a thicker consistency, so added 1/4 cup of tomato paste, curry powder, more turmeric, ginger, garlic + onion powder, and a slight sweetener to counter the heat from the chili oil + hot pepper flakes + cayenne pepper. I would've added some coconut milk but thought that would be more to a detriment rather than not. I left it on medium-low heat for 45-50 minutes, popping in every 5-7 to check sauce consistency and doneness.
    - It came out really well! The lamb itself was really tender and the sauce was fluid yet thick - I even had a second bowl with my usual toasted low-carb whole-wheat wraps as a substitute for rice/naan/chapati since it surprised me so much.

Definitely wanna try new cuts/varieties after this. Pretty damn yummy!

br0dy, aniraz, kal and 1 other person like this.
  5. I've been cooking korean, japanese, chinese, thai and moroccan dishes for the past two months from this website https://www.gousto.co.uk/cookbook - is it the same gousto?

Andrew.L, jordxn and Jamie like this.
  6. It is! Each week you choose 4 recipes from the weekly menu and the box you get delivered has all the ingredients and the recipe cards for what you chose.

Vasilios likes this.
  7. I looove cooking the recipes they're so well structured and I actually enjoy going to the market to buy all the ingredients. I'm now at the point where I mix and match recipes, queen of the kitchen tbh.

jordxn likes this.
  8. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

My local shop recently started stocking oxtail more frequently, so I made this today:

[​IMG]
    https://metemgee.com/2013/04/10/oxtail-stew-jamaican-oxtail-stew/

I added a jerk sauce to the marinade, and then a jerk seasoning once the oil + water were brought to a boil. Only slow cooked for an hour since I had about 1/3 the stated meat!

johnny_tsunami, Andrew.L, aux and 4 others like this.
  9. I'll never get over Rachel Khoo calling her online thing Khoollect.

Also I hate how much I want to know what went down between those two Hemsley sisters.

10. I just cooked this, again from gousto nn

[​IMG]

I didn't nail the fries' thinness and my spicy mayo was made with leftover chipotle peppers (rip tongue) but everything else... YUM

aniraz and Aidan like this.
  11. I got the book Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat delivered today and I fully recommend it. It’s such an insightful book into how you can turn yourself into a better cook by mastering those 4 elements.

Dennis, Vasilios and aux like this.
  12. Vasilios likes this.
  13. I'm screaming that I've been cooking a dieting website's recipes for months and thinking 'who sells coconut cream (15ml satchet)?

Andrew.L and jordxn like this.
  14. ( A red flag though should've been when the portions for 4 were eaten by us two in one sitting)

jordxn and Andrew.L like this.
  15. Currently cooking this vegan 'minced meat' pasta again!

[​IMG]

Jamie likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.