Footie | The Popjustice Forum

Footie

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Jamie, Apr 14, 2010.

1. As a born and bred Liverpool supporter, I've got to say, really disappointed with the team this season, Rafa obviously didn't think losing Alonso would lead to such a drop in form (although the rest of the planet did), Aquilani was a complete waste of space (hopefully I can be proved wrong in the future). Champions League is now all but technically out of reach, however, we're still in the Europa League, with a good shot of winning provided we stay relatively injury free (here's looking at you Torres) which is something I guess, although not quite the target any Liverpool fan had in mind last August.

Also rumours of new owners/investors flying about on a daily basis now, hopefully we can get the two broke Yankee morons (no disrespect to any Americans, but they have no fucking clue about football) who have systematically used the club as a fucking bank out, and hopefully get someone who either a) knows something about football, or b) someone who has VERY deep pockets and can employ someone who knows about football, and try and attract some decent players to the club, and can drag the club back into the Top 4 next season. However, the number 1 goal this summer has to be keeping hold of Torres, we're pretty much fucked right now without him, in terms of success and our ability to attract some decent players, some would add Gerrard to that list, but I think he has too much loyalty at this stage to Liverpool to piss off anywhere else.

Any fellow Liverpool supporters here, or is it all fairweather Chelsea fans (I joke)?

EDIT: The new kit is inspired by the 89/90 season when we last won the League, so maybe this year!

2. Re: Footy

I'm sorry, but the only good thing about Football is when Spurs are on TV and my dad, a massive Spurs fan, is all, "SHOOT YOU PILLOCK!" every 25 seconds.

3. Re: Footy

Football...football...

Nope, sorry, not ringing a bell.

4. Re: Footy

I'm a Liverpool supporter as well (the only one in my family though, my dad and most of my uncles are Man Utd). This season has been really disappointing. We don't really have anyone as good as Torres (well, Gerrard and Reina) , but when he's injured, there isn't adequate cover (N'Gog just doesn't cut it most of the time, and Benitez is naive to think he does), and rather than adapting the formation, he tries to stick to a rigid formation, but a lot of the players this season are just too average.

I think it's a wake up call that we can't just expect to be a top 4 team. We've had a good run for a while, but now it's hit the wall, we need to figure out what's wrong (ie pick up some quality back ups).

5. Re: Footy

You still talk to them ha? I can't believe I forgot to metion Reina, he's a fuckin legend like. I agree aswell that we've coasted and actually been lucky for quite some time now with a VERY average squad.

People talk constantly about firing Rafa, but the who the fuck is going to replace him, I can't really think of anyone who would walk into the mess that is LFC at the moment unless there's significant investment coming, that's the key.

I wonder though who we actually could've got had we not bought Aquilani with the Alonso cash...

And Raul is on the shopping list apparently, if he leave RM on a free transfer but I don't really understand why, he couldn't play alongside Torres, we wouldn't play him ahead of Torres, so he'd be theoretically waiting in the wings for Torres to get injured.

6. IotV

IotV Guest

Re: Footy

Apparently Madrid might poach Rafa this summer. Best for all involved, really.

United supporter here. Looks like a disappointing season, but oh well. Easy to see why no club has ever won the PL four times in a row now...

7. Re: Footy

Manchester City FTW.

EG.

8. Re: Footy

CHELSEA!

9. Re: Footy

I'm a Manchester United by blood, though not by region - I'm a Londoner! I'm not sure how I feel this season. I feel like our reliance on Ronaldo has just been replaced with a reliance on Rooney, and although it means we've still done bloody well, it means that when he's not around we struggle. To be honest I don't forsee any silverware in our near future.

10. Re: Footy

Same response here.

11. IotV

IotV Guest

I'm even further away - Dublin! All my friends supported them, some of my family too (although my father supports Celtic, and therefore hates Alex Ferguson), so I suppose that's how I started to support them. If Rooney gets a really bad injury next season, we're completely fucked. Need to buy a properly good striker, and sell fucking Berbatov (sp?). David Villa would be great, but he's apparently going to Madrid, so...

12. Re: Footy

God knows what the Scouse version is...

13. IotV

IotV Guest

Haha, unusually accurate!

Although, to be fair, I have seen United play several times...

14. Re: Footy

This forum's gone to the dogs!

15. 3Xs

3Xs

I actually like watching soccer, uh, I mean football, when it's on TV. I was fucking addicted to the 2006 World Cup. I remember me and all my friends screaming and jumping up and down with excitement when Italy won! Haha.

Hopefully they do well in June at the upcoming World Cup!

16. IotV

IotV Guest

They won't. Spain or Brazil will win it. Argentina would be in with a shot, if they had a proper manager (they don't).

17. 3Xs

3Xs

Oh too bad then! (I don't follow the sport enough to know who is up and who is down, haha.)

18. Re: Footy

I concur with Spain, although I'd argue Argentina are in with a shot solely due to Messi...

19. IotV

IotV Guest

Messi ]is amazing, but Maradona (of all people!) has no idea of how to construct a team around him. It's ridiculous, and a bit ironic. With any proper manager they'd be in with a shout. Now, well...

20. IotV

IotV Guest

No problem - Spain are just ridiculously ahead of everyone at the moment.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.