French Pop Recommendations | The Popjustice Forum

French Pop Recommendations

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by idratherjack, Apr 8, 2010.

1. I was making a playlist of my favourite French pop songs and realised I would like to know a whole lot more.

The kind of thing I am into is:

Desireless - Voyage Voyage
    France Gall - Ella Elle L'a
    Vanessa Paradis - Joe Le Taxi
    Jakie Quartz - A La Vie, A L'Amour
    Debut De Soiree - Chance/Nuit De Folie
    Alizee - Moi Lolita
    Kate Ryan - Desenchantee/Mon Coeur Resiste Encore

More specifically I am looking for female vocal 80s pop - was there a French equivalent to Madonna or Kylie? I hear the name Mylene Farmer around the forum a lot and I know she did the original Desenchantee. Is her music accessible and where would be the best place to start?

I'm also interested in more recent dance pop as I love Kate Ryan.

I'd be grateful for any recommendations. Thanks!

2. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Mylène is definitely worth checking out! She really is the french Madonna.. been going for decades, still very succesful (5 number hits from her last album!) and always brilliant videos.
    I'd start out with her greatest hits (Les Mots) or one of her most recent albums because they sound..erm.. the most recent..

You might like In-Grid too.

And if you like some french 'urban' pop, Nadiya might get you hooked: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UEj4qQK3RM

londonrain likes this.
  3. Charley

Charley Staff Member

You should definitely check out Najoua Belyzel! For example there's 'Gabriel' from her first album and 'M (Hey Hey Hey)' from her second!

There's also Christophe Willem. From his first album check out 'Double Je' and the lead single from his second was the amazing 'Berlin'.

Other than that there's also Jenifer, Grégory Lemarchal, Elodie Frégé, Nolwenn Leroy... (I'll stop now as I'm basically listing all Star Academy winners at this point)

4. Charley

Charley Staff Member

5. Thanks for your suggestions guys - I'm going to Youtube them all.

6. She started in the 80s, she is - as mentioned - the French Madonna - and the compliation called Les Mots is a great starting place (it's where I began anyway!)....

EG.

londonrain likes this.
  7. Charley

Charley Staff Member

There were some more pop/rock artists and songs I thought of, but I wasn't sure about posting them because the genre doesn't really fit what your opening post said.

8. I don't know if this is of your taste, but if I was to recommend a Justice track, I'd name "Phantom".

9. JadeFan

JadeFan Guest

Kate Ryan - Ella Elle l'a
    Kate Ryan - Babacar

and there is this nice soulful song called Si tu n'étais plus la but I don't know the artist.

10. With Mylene Farmer I'd have to agree with everyone and start with Les Mots (the double disc edition) and then I'd get both Avant Que L'Ombre and Point De Suture, her last two albums which are both exceptionally good.

Other artists worth investigation:

Lio
    Melissa Mars - you must hear Papa M'aime Pas.
    Francoise Hardy - 60s, but is responsible for some of the most beautiful records ever made.
    Indochine - Their Paradize album is highly regarded.
    Niagara - There's an excellent best of, Flammes, available.
    Mikado - try La Fille Du Soleil.
    Nathalie Cardone - her first album is very good.
    Ysa Ferrer - the Kamikaze album is worth a listen.
    Etienne Daho - Try something like Weekend A Rome or Sortir Ce Soir.
    Les Rita Mitsouko - Andy, C'est Comme Ca, Marcia Baila, etc - all essential.
    Jane Birkin - Her Gainsbourg produced 80s album Baby Alone In Babylon is excellent as is her Rendez Vous album.
    Charlotte Gainsbourg - Charlotte For Ever, her first album is amazing.
    Daniel Darc - Creve Coeur is a good place to start.
    Guesch Patti - Bit patchy to be honest but Etienne, Let Be Must The Queen and a few others are of interest
    Jean-Louis Murat - who's the male vocalist on Mylene Farmer's Regrets.
    Jeanne Mas - try C'est Pas Normal and Femmes D'aujord'Hui.

I won't mention the whole slew of 60s/70s French artists that I love to death, as we'll be here all night. Hope there's at least a coiuple of things here though to pique your interest.

11. londonrain likes this.
  12. JadeFan

JadeFan Guest

londonrain likes this.
  13. Yes, I meant that. I had the Mini Viva link on the clipboard and I thought I had pasted the right one on this page. Thanks for the correction. :)

14. I think you might be on about the song by Amel Bent? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui786vr9Uao

15. Lorie's '2Lor En Moi' album is really excellent. 'Je Vais Vite' and 'Play' were the first two singles from it. If you like Kate Ryan you should like Lorie.

Another great French language album is 'Face A Face B' by Axelle Red who is from Belgium.

My favourite French singer, though, is the wonderful Zazie.

16. Charley

Charley Staff Member

I love Axelle Red's 'Bimbo À Moi'.

And yes, Zazie is amazing!

17. Maleström

Maleström Guest

My favourite French band! ...But:
    Somebody should start a thread for them, seriously.

18. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, there's a lot to look into here which is exactly what I wanted!

19. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

If you liked Moi Lolita you'll probably like at least the first 2 albums of Alizée as well (not sure if you already checked her out).

Also, Moi Lolita (and most of Alizée's first album) was written by Mylène Farmer.. So now you really have to check her out!

20. The first Alizee album - Gourmandises - is total pop bliss.

EG.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.