Friends | Page 153 | The Popjustice Forum

Friends

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Charley, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Agreed. I binged watched the third series the other day whilst incredibly hungover, and the episode where he turns up at Rachel's office for a picnic and then expects her to apologise whence came back really annoyed me. I haven't seen those episodes in a while, but it just reminded me how much of a twat Ross was during that whole "we were on a break" / Mark situation.

Humes, Island, ZsDbk88 and 3 others like this.
  2. Little moments like this, where Phoebe's troubled past and lack of proper family isn't played for laughs, are amazing and don't happen often enough. Phoebe never had a proper family, and that's what the friends are to her—her first and only family. For a show that's about how "in your 20s, your friends are your family," they really wasted Phoebe's character and threw her nothing but quirky comedy when she was capable of so much more.

JMRGBY likes this.
  3. I liked the implication that Phoebe had tons of friends outside of their circle which the others never knew about. Denise, DENISE!!

4. I hated the laziness with which Phoebe’s character development (in regards to her family) was handled. The way they brought in her birth mother and father just to completely forget about them after an episode or two.

5. I’ve always found Phoebe’s transformation from the ditzy hippy one into the cutting, slightly bitchy one to be interesting.

Random comparison but it’s quite similar to what happened to Alice’s character in The Vicar of Dibley.

6. It's also so creepy and possessive. I mean it's a TV show so it's glossed over but if someone did that to me in real life, talk about a restraining order. No means NO!

7. I really wish they had done more with Frank Sr. That one episode he is in with Phoebe was great and touching & the two actors had really good chemistry. They could have easily brought him back for more. Maybe they were concerned bringing him back could tread dangerously close into the dramatic/soap opera-ish category and sway away from the comedy/goofyness which is what Friends was about.

8. It's meant to be.

9. I agree that they never explored the potential Phoebe had as a character. But I've always disliked all the storylines with her family, mainly because all those characters were so unfunny und unlikeable.

10. I loved how completely deadpan Ursula was.

11. Meh, I think she was always pretty bitchy at times. That 'otherwise someone might actually get what they ordered thing' to Rachel in Season 1 was brutal.

12. Phoebe and Chandler were meant to be recurring roles originally, right? They obviously found a lot to do with Chandler but never put a lot of effort into rounding out Phoebe. She was the only one who never had her own clip show episode (these suck, so it's not a bad thing really, but still...)

Andrew.L likes this.
  13. but Phoebe totally made up Denise right, she never existed but at all?!

TrixieVillaintina likes this.
  14. I like to believe Denise was real.

DMDR, He, Tribal Spaceman and 7 others like this.
  15. [​IMG]

DMDR, Tribal Spaceman, Sam and 8 others like this.
  16. I don't know, when Rachel suggests Denise might be Santa Claus Phoebe genuinely seems to consider it.

IndyRS and TrixieVillaintina like this.
  17. If I remember correctly, Denise was at Phoebe's wedding wasn't she?

18. [​IMG]

You even get Gunther!

[​IMG]

Lander, He, Tribal Spaceman and 5 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.