Fuller House (The Full House spin-off we've all been waiting for) | Page 3 | The Popjustice Forum

Fuller House (The Full House spin-off we've all been waiting for)

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Jeffo, Apr 21, 2015.

1. The original show was horrible. I don't know what reviewers expected. This actually isn't that bad. People are all upset with the sex references. Probably Candice Cameron's Christian fundie fanbase. They made the show for people who grew up with it, not necessarily for kids. They struck the right balance. I'm surprised Candice didn't raise a stink about it though. Her brother was a tyrant on his show when it came to dialogue and storylines. Everything had to be pure and holy.

Everyone on the show looks great; like they were put on ice. It's scary.

Apparently, they're using the original couch.

Laura Vanderbooben likes this.
  2. Better than what I imagined it was gonna be like. The opinions of reviewers mean nothing to me.

3. The only sex joke that surprised me was the masturbation joke that was made in relation to DJ's oldest kid, and that's only because the kid was the set-up for it. Other than that, most of it isn't that far off from the sex jokes they used to make on, say, Home Improvement.

Amazing.

4. Yeah, but Full House never made sex jokes.

5. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Staff Member

10 episodes in and really enjoyed it so far. The critics for this have really been savage for no reason. It accomplished what it was going for. Seems like they just wanted to dislike it from the start.

Jeffo and Mvnl like this.
  6. They definitely did.

7. This show is so interesting. I can't help but feel nostalgic when I watch it even though Full House was a terrible show.

Mvnl likes this.
  8. I stumbled upon one of the really negative reviews (Todd VanDerWerff of Vox) and my god:

And a tweet of his that he quoted in his review:

Talk about doing the absolute most. Imagine being so up your ass that you can't let go of your pretenses and just enjoy something for what it is.

The reviewer is correct that reality is warped in the show, even moreso than the original (and it should be said that that is one of the reasons I think the later seasons of the original show are more enjoyable than the first few seasons, something I imagine I'm in the minority about). But that's kind of a defining characteristic of the traditional multi-cam, live-audience sitcom, is it not? Other genres are also based in a warped reality and yet no one seems to care about that. But that's how it goes. This is a show that some people love to hate, and now they get to hate it all over again.

I think it should be pointed out as well that this, for all of the familiarity steeped in nostalgia, this show is not Full House. It's more of a meta take on the show, and that claim goes far beyond beating old, tired catchphrases into the ground. They establish this before the opening sequence even rolls on the first episode with the Michelle gag, and it continues through the entire season, sometimes hitting one out of the park (the flashback scenes between DJ and her love interests that the above review calls out for some unknown reason) and sometimes falling flat (the scene where Danny and DJ's oldest kid are playing poker). This even plays out in how much more fake the backyard set looks now in HD than it did on '80s-era videotape, and in the special guest stars section of the opening sequence for the first episode, where they have they old cast recreate their old intro scenes on the fake-as-hell looking soundstage versus on location in natural lighting like in the originals. The Michelle gag from that first scene was particularly standout because most other shows would've cut back to reality after a few seconds, but that shot lingers for almost 15 seconds. That's mostly due to the audience's applause, sure, but the lingering is effective.

But the point is, they seemingly recognize that the original show was not of high comedic caliber, and that plays a part in its continued appeal, and the play with that idea by making the show more meta. Another part of its appeal was, of course, that it plays endlessly in syndication because it's a family comedy, but that can't be all of it because there are so many other shows of its time that are of similar comedic origins but remain relatively obscure relics.

Why is the longest, most analytic post I've written in eons here about Fuller fucking House? I need to get out more.

PS. That review did give me give me this GIF, so it wasn't a complete wash:

[​IMG]

Andy French, VivaForever and Mvnl like this.
  9. Edu

Edu

Maybe you were too young to get them?

10. Tell me all the sex jokes Full House had. I don't recall Uncle Jesse ever joking about having to beat himself off.

11. The pilot is the worst.

12. Just off the top of my head, there's the episode where a chimpanzee is loose in the house, begins smacking Jesse's butt while he's sleeping and Jesse thinks it's Becky trying to be kinky.

13. Or just... if you hate it that much, STOP FUCKING WATCHING.

Also, nauxt that review picking up on the idea of the Tanners being deliberately, egregiously weird to the point of altering someone's perception of reality, like what someone posted about here the other day (probably you @Jeffo) saying they were gaslighting Kimmie.

I wasn't going to watch this but now I think I need to. VIVA LA GIBBLER!
    I REMEMBER THIS. Oh God.

14. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Staff Member

The fifth episode had a real touching moment that really captured the heart of why I think Full House continued to do so well after it aired.

Also Aunt Becky still knocking everyone out the game 29 years later.

15. Kimmy definitely makes this show.

16. Edu

Edu

17. Still a favorite.

18. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

A second season has been confirmed!!!

Jeffo and MollieSwift21 like this.
  19. I'm embarrassed by how happy I am. Y'all made me wanna hide my enjoyment with your scathing attacks.

I think I prefer Fuller House to Full House. They're pretty much the same quality-wise, but I prefer the girls trio to the boys trio.

shadedeflector and Mvnl like this.
  20. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

I've always preferred the girls and on this show I only cringe when the guys come back and the crowd goes insane.
    The season 2 announcement says 'coming soon'.
    Can't help but wonder if they haven't just shot about 26 episodes at once and there was never any doubt about it, but either way I'm looking forward to this!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.