Game of Thrones (HBO pace - no book spoilers) | Page 420 | The Popjustice Forum

Game of Thrones (HBO pace - no book spoilers)

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by IotV, Feb 12, 2011.

1. That's a good point. Personally, I enjoyed the last two seasons. With each progressive season, the show seemed to get more cinematic. The first season seems almost quaint now.

2. I thought this was some April Fools joke or something, but it was posted yesterday morning? ñññ

In Westeros lore, the Great Tourney was held over 10 days and was considered the biggest competition event in Westeros history, with tournaments of jousting, archery and more. No characters have yet been officially confirmed for the play. But according to Martin's previously published books, attendees of the event included a young, shy Ned Stark, his rebellious sister Lyanna, cocky teenage Jaime Lannister, powerful Lord Robert Baratheon, lovestruck Prince Rhaegar Targaryen, dashing Prince Oberyn Martell and noble knight Ser Barristan Selmy, among many others (keep in mind, Martin’s Westeros timeline is different than the HBO series as the show had to age-up several characters in order to hire actors who could work with adult material).

“The seeds of war are often planted in times of peace,” Martin said in a statement. “Few in Westeros knew the carnage to come when highborn and smallfolk alike gathered at Harrenhal to watch the finest knights of the realm compete in a great tourney, during the Year of the False Spring. It is a tourney oft referred during HBO's Game of Thrones, and in my novels, A Song of Ice & Fire … and now, at last, we can tell the whole story... on the stage.”

3. Lorraine Kelly reported it on breakfast TV yesterday and even she was like "Maybe this time they can give it a GOOD ending".

4. Just WRITE THE BOOKS man, jeez.

Remorque and Ashling92 like this.
  5. I feel like George R R Martin almost made a rod for his own back by allowing the TV show to plough ahead when he did. It's now a full decade since A Dance With Dragons was published!

6. Let's not forget that was basically part two of two so we've basically had ONE BOOK in the past TWENTY YEARS.

We're not getting an ending...

7. He

He

That sounds almost as shit as Cursed Child.

Trinu 3.0 likes this.
  8. Is it awful to feel kinda mad at how much time and energy he expends on absolutely anything else but what we most want "need" out of him?

The white male Rihanna of literature.

Lately, GodsAndMonsters and Trinu 3.0 like this.
  9. Rihanna could write A Storm of Swords but Martin couldn't release Fenty Beauty.

[​IMG]

10. Bloody hell, seriously, can he not hire a big ol' team of assistants and get the book out?

11. HINTS” he’s behind on the book?? Girl I’m pretty sure we all already noticed.

Ashling92 likes this.
  12. Just polish what you've already finished, release it as A Time for Wolves so the fans are fed, and take a year off to detach completely from the world and go back into Winds refreshed. Jesus Christ.

Andrew.L likes this.
  13. He's behind because he's jumping on every single TV job he's offered (as well a writing any book that isn't Winds), so it's a bit funny that he's almost presenting it as someone else's fault.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    DoggySwami likes this.
  14. It would almost be poetic for one of the best fantasy shows of all time to have a shit ending, and for one of the best fantasy book series of all time to have no ending at all. Disappoint those fans in every possible way, Marty!

15. King of subversion.

16. It's interesting how in 2016, when the show was about to overtake the books, he published a lenghty account on his blog that chronicled how he and the publishers had agreed on an October 2015 deadline, and he thought he could do it because he was mere months away (obviously he didn't make it).

I don't know what could have caused him from being "mere months away from delivering" to still not being finished nearly six years later other than a complete rewrite of the entire book.

17. It's hard not to get spurious and come up with all kinds of theories.

One thing that always served me well with my procrastination was going to therapy, in all honesty...

Anyway - I have heard it said he's often thrown out entire chapters and had to do major rewrites.

Andrew.L likes this.
  18. Would be out of the question that he took storylines from the last few seasons of the show to incorporate into the book? The show went to shit so he threw those out and is rewriting again?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.