GAON #1s 2017 RATE: COMPLETE | Page 17 | The Popjustice Forum

GAON #1s 2017 RATE: COMPLETE

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by Sanctuary, Dec 9, 2017.

1. He

He

I cannot not cackle at your Ayumi avi, every single time.

2. Can we please get rid of the snooze fest that is Fine now? It’s my only sub 5 score left.

Sanctuary, Island and He like this.
  3. And after something like this I wonder why I can't figure you out.

Sanctuary, send photo and ohnostalgia like this.
  4. I’m Miss Terry. Makes sense.

5. I'm not familiar with the reference. Is this it - The Mysterious Miss Terry?

Sanctuary likes this.
  6. Hold my earrings @Alouder98
    [​IMG]

7. Mess. Not Hyoyeon, me.

8. To begin.......

someone loses an 11......

16. You, Clouds, Rain
    [​IMG]
    Average: 7.413
    Highest Score:
    11 (@Squashua), 10 (@soratami, @junglefish)
    Lowest Score: 2 (@karmarisma), 5 (@ericcccc, @Monkey0, @ThisIsRogue)

Year-End Chart: #4
    Went #1: Week 27
    Total Sales: 1,725,668+
    We lose the first track from digital giant Heize. 2017 was an accumulation of all the hype Heize had been receiving up until that point. After a series of collabs with Dean & Junhyung of Highlight, and a stint on Unpretty Rapstar 2, the stage was set for Heize to make a comeback in a huge way.

Her mini /// would go on to move 5,000+ copies, which may seem small for someone deemed a sales force, but the five tracks from the mini would go on to sell a combined 3.4M+ digitals.

“Don’t Know You” would move over a million digitals, but it was “You, Clouds, Rain” featuring Shin Yong-jae of 4Men that ended up being the sales force, finishing in the Top 5 on the Year-End chart.

But could Heize make you want to spend a rainy day inside with her?

@karmarisma: "I kinda liked the direction the melody was going; however, I didn't manage to listen the whole way through. I wrote this commentary as it was raining, so these are my true feelings"

@ericcccc: "I don’t mind this I guess."

@Empty Shoebox: "Found this one really forgettable. It's not bad, but it doesn't stand out at all."

@Monkey0: "There’s barely a melody and it’s just bleh."

@ThighHighs: "Kinda sleepy, but still really nice. I think a lot of Korea’s tastes aren’t bad, they’re just BORING. This would be a great album track that I’d get my emotions to, but as a single is doesn’t necessarily sound like a chart topper."

@ryan_riot92: "I much prefer this track to “Don’t You Know” …"

@Slice of Life: "WAIT. This is really good. I think I like Heize better as a vocalist. And Shin Yongjae... I don't know you, oppa, but you sound really good."

@eliminathan: "Her voice is perfect for sombre songs, I definitely prefer this to Don't Know You."

And our 11, @Squashua: "People will probably bomb this because it's another female/male ballad among a number on this list but it holds such a dear, but painful, place in my heart. Last summer I was just settling back into some kind of life after a series of cataclymic events and all the songs I ended up drifting towards were melancholy numbers about Rain, despite the omnipresent sunshine. The very subtle jazz drums imitating rain fall on a window pane plus the sighing vocals just fill me with such a sadness for things that seemingly would never be despite my somewhat desperate hope & striving for them back at that point. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't in a similar place now but perhaps with even more realisation, nay a sort of acceptance, of the the finality of matters of the heart and mind. It's weird that this will always remind me of a season so adverse to its sentiment. Whilst it's probably not my actual 11 without that nostalgia of emotions & context behind it, this is the only rate where it'll get a place to shine (as opposed to many other songs on this list)."

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    RUNAWAY, Island, ThisIsRogue and 14 others like this.
  9. Okay........... this better be the last time we see Heize until the winner is revealed. Thank you.

He and Sanctuary like this.
  10. [​IMG]
    Conflicted between me losing a 10 but also @soratami finally losing one after dragging 90% of the eliminated songs.

He, evilsin, eliminathan and 8 others like this.
  11. This next one......

will be messy....

15. Heart Shaker
    [​IMG]
    Average: 7.673
    Highest Score:
    10 (@Serg., @soratami, @eliminathan), 9.5 (@ryan_riot92, @junglefish), 9 (Sanctuary, @Empty Shoebox, @Slice of Life, @BEST FICTION)
    Lowest Score: 0 (@Monkey0), 4 (@ericcccc), 5 (@karmarisma)

Year-End Chart: N/A
    Went #1: Week 50
    Total Sales: 376,885+​

We lose our first TWICE track out of the four they have in the running. It’s also the last song they released in 2017, being a holiday-themed single.

TWICE are an extremely polarizing group within K-Pop. For many, they represent what K-Pop stands for and act as the Nation’s New Girl Group within Korea. They remain the most successful girl group in Korea and their adventures into Japan saw amazing results in 2017 (these results would be even out-done by their 2018 releases in Japan).

But with groundbreaking success comes with next-level criticism and resentment. For many, the mere sight of TWICE is distressing, with some finding they do not hold a candle to the top-tier girl groups of the past.

Like many-a-tale in k-pop, the battles between super fans and anti-fans are wide-spread, dramatic, messy and often times useless and nothing more than hot air. Whatever people have to say about TWICE, it’s undisputed that they’re still talking about TWICE and no one else.

And here is how y’all talked about Heart Shaker:

@Monkey0: "Litter."

@ericcccc: "Kind of annoying."

@karmarisma: "It's nice and bubbly; however, it really didn't match up to the rest of their singles this year. When Twice does super belty singing, it really doesn't work for me and it's a shame because the MV is so adorable, and I could watch Sana hugging Tzuyu all day."

@Serg.: "It's probably the least instant TWICE song for me, I started off hating it but couldn't stop playing it and eventually it became one of my favourite songs of the year in span of a month, power."

@Squashua: "The Laboum comeback that never was. Could you imagine if this had been the sequel to Hwi Hwi? I'd have bought a lifetime's supply of tteokbokki. As it is, great although some of the vocals are in the strain zone again & I'm sad they essentially went to back to their expected line dist. patterns after Likey broke it up a little."

@ThighHighs: "This one has never really worked for me ever since it came out. I don’t like the verses, I don’t like the video, and the choreography isn’t great. That CHORUS however? After going through the DRECK that is the verses:
    [​IMG] "

@eliminathan: "This song is to Likey what Knock Knock is to TT. The messier, cuter, not as good bop. Since Likey was better than TT, Heartshaker is way better than Knock Knock."

@ThisIsRogue: "Is that arms-behind-the-back, chicken dance move, like, their signature move or something?"

@Empty Shoebox: "Once it gets past all the 'yeah's and 'no's, it's not bad. Also shout out to the low budget video after blowing the entire album cash on the trip to Vancouver to film 'Likey'."

@Slice of Life: "Dddddddddddddd I'm definitely overscoring this but that chorus just cannot be denied. And after listening to all those ballads, I just appreciate Heart Shaker's energy"

@ryan_riot92: "These ladies just could not stop giving this year! Is Sana gay? We just don’t know … but what we DO know is that this was another great bop. Such generous queens. I can’t."

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    ThisIsRogue, He, evilsin and 10 others like this.
  12. Erm, so far there has been exactly one elimination where my score was significantly lower than everyone else's (Instagram) and also, this is like my fifth 10 to go .

[​IMG]

Sanctuary, evilsin and karmarisma like this.
  13. I'm not surprised it's the first TWICE song out but I really wanted them all to go top 10... a 0, though, seriously?

Ok, my bad... but you still don't like Really Really, so.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  14. @Monkey0

15. Oh. It's the one I liked the least from TWICE, so I'm okay with this going.

Sanctuary and send photo like this.
  16. What songs?
    [​IMG]

17. Dddd speaking of that.......

14. Knock Knock
    [​IMG]
    Average: 7.760
    Highest Score: 11 (@soratami, @evilsin, @ryan_riot92), 10 (@Empty Shoebox, @karmarisma), 9.5 (@eliminathan)
    Lowest Score: 0 (@Monkey0), 4 (@Alouder98, @ericcccc, @send photo)​

Year-End Chart: #8
    Went #1: Week 8
    Total Sales: 1,627,915+​

Well, it certainly is no TT, is it? I think that's what hit me at first when it first came out, but I ended up appreciating it over time and it's certainly not as much a drop in quality as something like Russian Roulette to Rookie. It's TWICE continuing as queens of cutesy concepts. It's also (thankfully) the only video where JYP decided to make his presence known, something that haunted many Wonder Girls videos.

"Knock Knock" was also the best-selling girl group single of 2017 at #8 and the only song by a girl group in the year-end Top 15. "As If It's Your Last" by Blackpink and "Red Flavor" by Red Velvet would sneak into the bottom-half of the Top 20, at #18 and #20 respectively.

TWICE would go on to deliver more interesting concepts and songs throughout 2017, but let's not be too harsh on Knock Knock - it felt more like an easy cash-in to TT's huge success through a rerelease. It would be TWICE's first #1 of 2017 and it's now their second #1 to leave us. Where will TWICE's remaining two songs left end up? Well, we'll have to wait and see.

But did y'all open or close your door to TWICE knocking?

@Monkey0: "Garbage."

@ericcccc: "Dddd this is just kind of annoying, same with the video."

@ThighHighs: "I’ll maintain that this song isn’t as great as a lot of their other material, but it does snatch me just a bitsy. The chorus truly ~*~*knocks, but the verses a just a bit too chirpy for me to fully stan."

@ThisIsRogue: "I'm not denying that this isn't a bop, because it is, but deserving of reaching #1? No. Especially compared to some of the incredible songs released in early 2017 by Brave Girls and EXID."

@Gintoki: "Least favourite single from Twice, what else to say."

@Slice of Life: "Ddddd I gave this a lower score on the SO+Y Rate because the competition there was too severe. But this stands out here in a good way. Not the best 2017 Twice single but it bops hard. Sana unnie can step on me as well."

@eliminathan: "Not their best song but Mina SLAYED the looks and I can't deny that their singles are all catchy whether it's a tried and true bop like Likey or a kind of messy bop like Knock Knock."

@Serg.: "The only title where I wasn't sure about it in the beginning but I grew liking it at the end, the bridge is the best part of the song which is not something new for them"

@Empty Shoebox: "Why is Chaeyoung in a cupboard? For a cupboard, it doesn't look too bad, but it's clearly too small for her. Oh, the song. I'm not Twice's biggest fan, they're usually 8/9 rather than ten for me, but I like this one. Especially the first couple of lines in the chorus when they're singing together."

@karmarisma: "I love this so much because it's all the things that I'm not. Fun, cute, loud, rambunctious and just infectious. It's so happy and uplifting, you just can't help tapping your feet to it and imaging cute pillow fights, and the members are so cute when they perform it. It also doesn't force any members to sing uncomfortably and everyone is so in their element. A truly legendary Twice era."

And our two 11s:

@soratami: "This song is such a rush of pure joy, it's just perfect."

@ryan_riot92: "Kii We ALL know how much I love this song … so why not give it my 11? I know y’all will kick it out too soon anyway … poor queens of vocal talent. It’s so young, fun and energetic. What more could you want in a TWICE song?"

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  18. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. I love every song left except Bolbbalgan's, so it can go next and I won't have anything below 7.

karmarisma, Sanctuary and junglefish like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.