GAON #1s 2017 RATE: COMPLETE | Page 18 | The Popjustice Forum

GAON #1s 2017 RATE: COMPLETE

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by Sanctuary, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Ahhh shame this amazing rate was ruined by a troll.

2. You can go next.
    [​IMG]

3. Some is gorgeous. Leave Bolbbalgan alone!
    [​IMG]

I can't actually think of anything obvious that's still in that should go so it probably will be the Bolbbs next won't it?
    [​IMG]

EDIT: Is Ko Ko Bop still in? I'd probably go with that next personally then.

karmarisma, Cotton Park and Sanctuary like this.
  4. Our final elimination for today.....

13. Ko Ko Bop
    [​IMG]
    Average: 7.826
    Highest Score:
    10 (@Serg., @soratami, @Monkey0, @eliminathan, @BEST FICTION, @karmarisma, @ThisIsRogue), 9.5 (@ohnostalgia)
    Lowest Score: 1.5 (@ericcccc), 4 (@He), 4.5 (@ryan_riot92)

Year-End Chart: #14
    Went #1: Week 29 & Week 30 & Week 31 & Week 33
    Total Sales: 1,172,609+​

We lose another boy group and the longest-running #1 of 2017. “Ko Ko Bop” is the first main follow-up to EXO’s highly successful “Monster” + “Lotto”. The song was also the first comeback the group did during Lay’s hiatus. The track would also end up as the third-best selling boy group song of the year, falling short to songs by Winner and BTS.

The colorful video for the track features the group on what is implied to be hallucinogens, as the trippy visuals match the unorthodox structure, production and breakdown. The track was polarizing even amongst fans. Some felt the breakdown wasn’t needed, while some others argued there were other tracks on the album more fitted to be the title, like the track “The Eve”.

Still though, the song persisted and spent the most weeks on top of the Digital Chart, clocking in four weeks, three of them being consecutive. They would block NU'EST W's "If You" and GFRIEND's "Love Whisper" from reaching the top spot. The War would be followed up by the Power Of Music repackage, whose title track "Power" would go on to peak at #2 on the Digital Chart.

But could EXO make you all feel high for their music?

@ericcccc: "This is embarrassing and not a bop."

@ryan_riot92: "Another trop bop but this one just kind of sounds like noise … It’s not really catchy either."

@Gintoki: "Same drop as Light My Body Up from Nicki Minaj....and yes both song are pretty trashy, something like guilty pleasure I guess."

@Slice of Life: "Props to EXO (and their producers) for still experimenting with their sound. This isn't flawless (the track kinda falters a little in the end part) but I will give it a good score for being ambitious."

@Empty Shoebox: "I'm not a big fan of this. The attempted fusion of K-Pop and reggae just doesn't work here. You could give them credit for trying, but this has been done before, and better."

And while K-PJ is hardly one to stan a boy group, y'all were LIVING for EXO - was it the prominence of armpits throughout the era?

@soratami: "It really is [a bop!]"

@Monkey0: "Still fresh, loving the production. Such great pop song."

@ThighHighs: "The chorus to this one really knocks. They did that. The breakdowns are properly insane as well."

@eliminathan: "Suho looks so GOOD. Kings ONLY. One of EXO's best songs, the singing and for once even the rapping are all on point."

@karmarisma: "This year was really EXO's year musically. Everything they released this year managed to snatch my weave and decimate me, especially the whole The War/The Power of Music album duo. The breakdown, the weed-infested hairstyles, luscious vocals and reggae-sweg-lite feeling to the song...it was all perfect. Of course, seeing this live absolutely elevated the experience."

@ThisIsRogue: "I started 2017 off not really being that fond of male acts but a few of them delivered bops consistently throughout the year. Of the Gaon #1s, I think the men delivered consistently great songs, 'Ko Ko Bop' being one of the best (even though I love Power more)."

5. He

He

Oh, I love Knock Knock.

Also, good, Kokobop is half ok / half terrible. That drop... ugh.

Sanctuary, evilsin and Squashua like this.
  6. My thoughts exactly. I actually really like the reggae vibes in the verses but the production on the drop is tinny at its very best.

Sanctuary likes this.
  7. He

He

Didn't you described as if: imagine if Why So Lonely had an awful drop out of nowhere?

Preposterous thought.

Sanctuary, Empty Shoebox and Squashua like this.
  8. Also just to address this.

I did message Monkey saying that I had some concerns about their votes and that it would appear and look to many that they were trying to troll and asked if he was sure those were the real scores he wanted to send in and he said yeah. At the time, I didn't know what to do and didn't press him further to change them since they were one of the only few voters in so 1) I was worried I wasn't in the place to reject ballots given how few I had and 2) that hopefully the questionable scores for a certain act would even out if I could get some more people to vote.

By the time voting closed and I reached so many, I didn't know whether to go back and press them for changes deeming them unacceptable, so I take full responsibility if any score inclusion upsets anyone. I like to give everyone the benefit of the doubt and hope people are just trying to have some fun, even if it's a little sassy, and that no one is trying to actively ruin someone's experience in rate. This wasn't an issue in the Wonder Girls rate so I wasn't really sure what to do here, but I'll make sure to avoid it happening if any rate I host from here on out so no one's experience is ruined.

For what it's worth, if any zero anyone gave was up'd to match the next lowest score a song received, I don't think any major changes would happen from what I plugged in and played with. One or two songs would move one or two spots, but the Top 10 remained largely untouched, and I can reveal that info at the end if people feel the rate was compromised.

9. Losing two 10s, then my 11, then another 10

[​IMG]

Sanctuary, evilsin, Squashua and 7 others like this.
  10. I remember first time learning about EXO I googled them cause some of y'all talking about who the hottest guy in the group was (It started with @Sanctuary posting KKB picture and saying Kai is one of the prettiest idols and the whole discussion started, dddd) later I decided to check them out and then listened to The War which came out around that time and my whole life was slain, they are like my overall favourite group now. So thank you dear host <3

@ericcccc i see you making posts about tanking Likey & now this... I'm coming for you.

[​IMG]

11. Well y’all are just hateful.

GET FINE OUT. GET REALLY REALLY OUT.

Island, eccentricsimply and Sanctuary like this.
  12. Don’t mind those Twice eliminations but y’all wrong for Exo.

Sanctuary, Serg. and eccentricsimply like this.
  13. The TWICE songs going out are fine because the two that deserve the win are still in. The scores from @Monkey0 being 0 are a mess but also ha opinion. The commentary just seems like pressed bitterness though. What did these young girls do to hurt you sis?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    Sanctuary, Kuhleezi, Serg. and 5 others like this.
  14. So you're saying that I made you stan Sehun for defending his honour while @Sanctuary paraded with an avatar of him but said that Kai is the best looking one?

You're welcome.

[​IMG]

Kuhleezi, Serg., ohnostalgia and 6 others like this.
  15. A bop.

I'm kind of fearing for my 11 now with some of y'all calling for certified bops to be eliminated. Meanwhile, 'Fine' is fine, but should leave soon.

Sanctuary likes this.
  16. Thank you @Gintoki, I’ve always wondered what Ko Ko Bop reminded me of and now I know.

Sanctuary and Gintoki like this.
  17. What the fuck?

Sanctuary likes this.
  18. Wow I thought I'm gonna be straight up iljin when I gave 5 to Knock and Koko...
    [​IMG]

Sanctuary and eliminathan like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.