GAON #1s 2017 RATE: COMPLETE | Page 23 | The Popjustice Forum

GAON #1s 2017 RATE: COMPLETE

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by Sanctuary, Dec 9, 2017.

1. He

He

Lonely to block Twice again just for old time’s sake.

Sanctuary likes this.
  2. Pleasantly surprised Likey made it to the top 3. Could it mean that... @Monkey0 didn't give it a... 0?! *gasp*

3. A mess that I was literally singing Lonely out loud when I saw the notification for this post. Face crack of the century when I saw this and believed Lonely came fourth thanks for the heart attack unnie.

4. I think it'll go

#3 Likey
    #2 Lonely
    #1 Gashina

They're all 10s anyway so I'm happy.

Sanctuary and junglefish like this.
  5. “Likey” and “Lonely” aren’t good so it’s nice to know that “Gashina” will win.

Sanctuary and ThighHighs like this.
  6. Our final song before the Top 2 is...

Ddddd sorry.

03. Likey
    [​IMG]
    Average: 8.760
    Highest Score:
    11 (@Serg., LA Hallucinations), 10 (Sanctuary, @soratami, @Slice of Life, @Sqaushua, @eliminathan, @BEST FICTION, @ryan_riot92, @junglefish, @aaronhansome)
    Lowest Score: 0 (@Monkey0), 5 (@ericcccc)

Year-End Chart: #89
    Went #1: Week 44
    Total Sales: 693,538+​

This was originally #2 for the longest time, but only because I am an idiot and put in one of the scores for a 10 as a 20 ddddddd. Y’all don’t know the PANIC I had felt when realizing this mistake like 20+ eliminations in and then diligently checked the spreadsheet for any other issues (we were good though!).

Likey is TWICE’s last song in the rate and was the third #1 they snatched in 2017 (though it wouldn’t be their last). This is how the girls managed throughout, having the second-most number of songs:

#15. "Heart Shaker" - 7.673
    #14. "Knock Knock" - 7.760
    #12. "Signal" - 7.847
    #03. “Likey” - 8.760

[​IMG]
    Success-na thanks you for the points!

The song is a sugary rush of pure pop energy, as is the video. The lyrics face similar criticisms from most TWICE detractors, though, with some feeling the lyrics still feel immature and reductive.

Still though, recent polls shows TWICE’s fanbase is actually mostly young women in their early 20s, so maybe everyone just wants their crush to like their latest selfie on instagram.

Ever as controversial, TWICE was the most successful girl group of 2017.

TWICE could get you to press the heart, but what about give them points?
    @Monkey0: "Trash."

@ericcccc: "Eh."

@Empty Shoebox: "I'm sure we've all heard this about a hundred times, and while there's no denying it's a fun bop, it just feels so basic to me compared to the other K-Pop songs this year."

@Gintoki: "Everyone like Likey, there is nothing to not like in Likey."

@ThighHighs: "A true jam. So many parts of the song are individually a jam, but combined they make for one of my faves of the year. Unlike a lot of their other songs, which follow the same kind of format, there isn’t a part that truly grates on my spirit, so this is an enjoyable listen from start to finish. The rap section in the middle can go, though."

@ThisIsRogue: "One of their better singles since 'TT'. It's not doing too much, which seems to be a tendency that K-Pop producers have sometimes. See: 'Signal' and 'As If It's Your Last'."

@karmarisma: "Twice continued their absolutely dominance with this and I feel like I've fawned over this song enough times, but it's really just so good. From Sana's chorus, to the dance break to the rap section."

@ryan_riot92: "Me likey … me definitely likey! This was such a splash of fun energy just like the rest of the TWICE releases this year. A lovely pop track with an adorably catchy chorus. PERFECTION."

@Slice of Life: "Twice really did THAT with this release. Everything just works. Oh and I can't tell you how much I've missed that Momo dance break. Welcome home, my love."

@eliminathan: "I never thought they would top TT, Signal was close but Likey is TWICE's best song. The only reason it doesn't get my 11 is because SISTAR's bop exists. Here's to better TWICE songs fighting!"

@soratami: "This almost got my 11, it was a really hard choice. Iconic chorus."

OUR ELEVEN'S HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY:

@Serg.: "Not only song of the year but maybe of the generation"

@LA Hallucinations: "WHEW. I thoroughly remember being perched for this to come out, refreshing Youtube and all. And WHEW did they deliver. It was their most instant song for me (even more than TT) and one that is still confidently anchored on my currents playlist. BB cream pa pa pa lipstick ma ma ma. Expose the society for the sadistic shallow creatures we are. Chained to the Rhythm who? This is wokepop at its finest."

7. Imagine getting a 0 and still ending up in the top 3. Talent always wins

[​IMG]

8. TOMORROW:

[​IMG]

VS.

[​IMG]

only one can win

9. B B CREAM PA PA PA

10. Oh. dddddd
    [​IMG]
    I honestly don’t mind who wins. If I had to choose it’d be Gashina, but Lonely would be a great winner too.

11. He

He

Lonely blocking Twice again, kii.

Likey is a massive bop, so well done Momo and company.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  12. RIPPUSUTIKU MA MA MA

I love SISTAR and their last song, still sad writing this, was nice, but Gashina should win. Even though it took me a while to appreciate it.

13. It's like a foghorn, isn't it? Especially at that second chorus.

I've just realised that there's two songs called 'Lonely' here and I thought it was the other one in the top two.
    Whoops.

Sanctuary, ohnostalgia and evilsin like this.
  14. I don't know why I didn't give Gashina a 10 at the time (my ballot was submitted like 2 months ago and my opinions change quickly) but I'm rooting for it as well.

It was such a popjustice moment to see a non-ballad female artist coming back after 3 years, specially going from a big 3 company to a small one and still slaying even more than before.

15. I don't know which song to root for hjalpppppppp.

Sanctuary likes this.
  16. He

He

I’m low key rooting for Lonely just because it gives me so many emotions.

But Gashina is a moment and the birth of a new queen. It is the rightful winner.

Island and Sanctuary like this.
  17. This song also had @beyoncésweave stanning in my rate. Not everybody has that.

18. Gave the Top 4 all 10s, but only one of them has my 11, so obviously I want that win, but I'm not bitter about any result now.

Sanctuary likes this.
  19. THE TIME HAS COME....

SISTAR
    VS.
    SUNMI

WHO WILL IT BE?...

02. Lonely
    [​IMG]
    Average: 8.826
    Highest Score:
    11 (@eliminathan), 10 (Sanctuary, @Serg., @Alouder98, @soratami, @Slice of Life, @send photo, @BEST FICTION, @Gintoki)
    Lowest Score: 6 (@karmarisma), 6.5 (@ericcccc)

Year-End Chart: #100
    Went #1: Week 22
    Total Sales: 597,410+​

Just as 2017 was a year of new beginnings for many groups new and old, it was also marked by the amount of disbandments that became official. Disbanding is usually a negative experience for many groups and their fans. Most are haunted by clashes over contracts and companies unwilling to negotiate.

Because of this, goodbye singles are largely non-events. They’re sometimes quickly tossed out as a last minute cash-in by companies, with little effort behind the song.

2NE1 got a black-and-white video featuring its remaining members. Wonder Girls got an illustrated cover and nothing more. Miss A simply announced they had been over unofficially for years and that was it for the group. And groups like SNSD possibly hang in limbo, unclear just if they’re still together.

But sometimes the impossible happens and a group is able to walk away while still on top, all remaining friends and happy with where their careers are heading. For Sistar, that was thankfully the case. Not only would they go on to release a goodbye single and music video with references to their past, they promoted the song on music shows, where they also performed melodies of their hits.

[​IMG]

Sistar’s impact is often underrated by international fans. They didn’t have the Western-appealing edge of 2NE1 and never bothered to debut in neighboring countries like China or Japan, such as groups like T-ARA or KARA. However, like clockwork, summer would come and a Sistar song would top the charts.

Though never attempting to tour or debut abroad, Sistar brought one thing many struggled with - hits. Their digital sales and consecutive #1s would help Sistar to be only behind SNSD in Korea with their digitals for girl groups. Lonely go on to be their 9th consecutive #1, allowing the girls to go out on-top.

Sistar said goodbye, but were you all willing to part with them?

@karmarisma: “This was honestly a huge let down after the strong, punchy, girl power anthem that was 'I Like That'; however, still the least depressing disbandment song which in itself is a merit. I hope Sistar Unnies continue to be as savage and amazing in their future careers.”

@ericcccc: “This is very mid-2000s.”

@Empty Shoebox: “This is quite good. But then again, I like breakup songs.”

@Monkey0: “Aww, what a beautiful and bittersweet way to say goodbye.”

@ThighHighs: “This is so gorgeous, and it makes me so sad that they ended. They could have done so much more as a group, as this ballad is up there with the best of them. If only they had put out more material of this quality towards their end. It kills me that two of my favorite SISTAR songs are their last two releases ever.”

@ryan_riot92: “It’s a shame we didn’t get just one more summer bop from these ladies but this isn’t a total let down. It’s a ballad but not a boring one. It’s quite nice actually.”

@Serg.: “What a perfect disbandment song, Wonder Girls wish.”

@Gintoki: “One of the best kpop ballads ever, it reminds me on some bad things that happen to me at the same time when the song was released, so yeah it's one of the worst too.”

@Slice of Life: “The best goodbye single, probably ever? Kweens till the end, etc. Hyolyn's vocals in here will always decimate me in the best way possible. I'm also here for Dasom's best vocal performance of her career as a singer. True iljin icon.”

And our 11, @eliminathan: “One of the best songs of the year if not the best, SISTAR really stepped their pussies up for their last few songs and then vanished off the face of the earth drag my LIFe.”

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  20. Well guess WHAT

[​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.