GCB | The Popjustice Forum

GCB

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Dazzle, Mar 5, 2012.

1. So Kristin Chenoweth's new show started in America last night. It's essentially a mix of 'Desperate Housewives' and 'Mean Girls' set in Dallas. Judging from the first episode, I really loved it. No idea how well it's going to do though. Anyone else seen it yet?

2. JadeFan

JadeFan Guest

Ooh is this Good Christian Bitches?

3. Yes, it is JadeFan.

I didn't get to watch it last night, but I can't wait to get home from work to watch!!

4. It was really good. So much better than the trailer made it look. And above all it was fun, like the kind of fun DH hasn't been for at least 3-4 years. I didn't stop laughing throughout. Amanda, her mother and the gay husband were the best characters. Carlene (Kristen C) is a bit one-note so I hope she gets fleshed out a bit although the jokes about her plastic surgery were pretty funny.

5. Granted, I'm not the target audience, but I've never been so repulsed by a show's advertisements than I was by this ghastly creation.

6. JadeFan

JadeFan Guest

Saw the trailers. It looks shit. I really don't like many things from the deep South.

7. SockMonkey

SockMonkey Guest

I am the target audience and it made me roll my eyes and think "Oh good, another show featuring women with too much makeup being vile." And I really like Kristen Chenowith too.

And UnderPressure, you must use so much bandwidth downloading TV! Haha.

8. I love how it's is a satire on real people. Yes, they are caricatures,it's it’s soo sad how real and accurately it portrays the underlying characters. When I see Annie Pots chcan'ter I can’t help but laugh, she reminds me of my grandmother, guns and all. All the reviews I have read have criticized it for being “unreal”, but the truth is I think people want to believe it is unreal…when in fact there is a lot of truth behind some of these women.

But I saw a clip, and the whole 3.16 and Jesus Fish on a car, madfriend'sgh. My friend’s mom had the exact thing on her bumper, and when my friend got in a car accident, all her mother could say was “Is the bumper okay” haha.

But if this show is going to last, they are going to have to bring the characters down to earth alittle. Ugly Betty started off just like that, but over the course oit'se show it found it’s heart, shockingly outside of its lead (who was always the dead weight on the show to me).

9. Amanda definitely won't be the deadweight on this show. She's pretty fucking amazing. She absolutely owned the scene near the end in church. I thought the bit where the sign read 'hell hath no fur' and then the guy added the 'y' was really clever too.

10. Well I can't wait to see the whole thing, I'm a sucker for anything remotely over the top. I've loved Leslie Bibb since Popular, I hope it's a hit for her.

11. I was very upset by the adverts/scheduling DH/GCB tie-in. It's like they can't afford the wages/budget for how poorly DH is performing so this is what we've been given.

I will watch it though, I'm happy to be proven wrong.

12. The ratings were alright for GCB, it was ABC's best 10pm showing since October of last year. It didn't score the ratings Pan Am's premiere did, but let's just hope it doesn't crash and burner like that did.

13. I'm fully expecting it to crash and burn. I think shows like GCB are destined to be one season wonders.

14. Well the talk is, it's either GCB or Revenge that will be filling Desperate's spot come next season.

Desperate isn't the best lead in these days, but it will hold on. It's shocks me how quick ABC is to axe shows, over on NBC the Thursday block is a complete joke in the ratings, but those shows keep chucking along.

15. Only because NBC has absolutely no hits which means they can't afford to axe stuff that would be axed instantly on other networks.

Revenge won't move from Wednesdays. I would be incredibly surprised.

16. I really need to get into 'Revenge'. Watched the first episode and loved it but never really bothered to stay with it.

17. I was pleasantly surprised by this. The adverts made it look far too much like 'Desperate Housewives in the South' and while the pilot wasn't as good as the Desperate Housewives pilot, it had its own merits. I'll be sticking with it for now.

I don't expect Revenge to move either. It's like the only show in a decade or so to survive in that slot. If GCB survives, I think it'll stay on Sundays with Once Upon A Time but place Marc Cherry's new shot in between them. It didn't get picked up last year but they've re-shot the pilot apparently, they must like it if they've ordered a new pilot for this year.

18. Revenge is the best new show of the season Dazzle. It's absolutely flawless. Watch it!

The Marc Cherry pilot they passed on last year was Hallelujah, the new one is Devious Maids. The last we heard about Hallelujah they were doing re-writes but I think that project is dead now. Shame, it sounded really interesting.

19. Oh right! I thought they were the same. Hallelujah sounded a bit like Eastwick to me. I'm not sure about Devious Maids as a title, you'd think he'd want something that sounds different to Desperate Housewives. Just read that Ana Ortiz has been cast for the show so regardless I'm on board. If they pick it up and keep GCB on Sundaysh, it'll will remain a female friendly night which has worked quite well for ABC these last few years.

20. "Revenge" doesn't really feel like a Sunday night show, but at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if it moves and they use the 10 o'clock slot on Wednesdays to launch another new drama next year.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.