General Britney Spears Discussion | Page 3943 | The Popjustice Forum

General Britney Spears Discussion

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Breakfast2, Jul 28, 2009.

1. I just don’t think they grasped how strenuous it was going to be to simultaneously put together a residency and an album. And then when all the producers pulled out they panicked and that’s when things became so dire. They easily could have pulled the plug, but they didn’t.

2. I've never believed this. Has there been any reliable info about this other than some person on here who claimed to be an insider? Because it makes no sense. Britney wasn't gonna promote it so they didn't want her to have it... when she hadn't been promoting her music for years and they were still hits? This was 2013. She'd just come off 4 of her biggest hits ever without doing much for any of them beyond a video. But she couldn't keep songs because she wouldn't perform at the American Music Awards? That doesn't add up. It would make sense now that producers would be hesitant to give her their best when they could send it to Ariana. It doesn't make sense for early 2013 when Britney was still hot on US radio.

Blue6010, An Insider, cdd216 and 5 others like this.
  3. Yeah, if producers came through in 2016 after Britney Jean and Pretty Girls, I don't see why they wouldn't have in 2013.

andru likes this.
  4. Wait but Chillin' with You is track 9...

Digital_Fossil, andru and PayMe like this.
  5. Ooh girl, you really bop to Chillin' With You and Don't Cry over Tik Tik Boom and Passenger?

PayMe likes this.
  6. OK, some of y'all need to drink some white/red wine and get to walking on the sky before the inevitable Chillin' With You lashings have a chance to take off.
    An uncomfortable, awkward bop!

7. Leave Don’t Cry and it’s croaking vocal alone. It’s a decent fluff track.

8. I remain bopping, every single day.

Anticonformity likes this.
  9. I mean, it does line up, and stranger things have certainly happened behind closed doors that may not make any sense to us. We heard about all these producers onboard and suddenly none of them were to be found. There’s no other explanation for why they were suddenly left with no material and had to rush record after “Work Bitch” had been released. Larry himself said they only had 5 songs recorded at that point... for a project they started several months prior, and I’m sure all that rushing is why Britney never had time to record any of the vocals herself and why they were still taking songs at the last minute. I don’t buy that they didn’t know how much of a task it’d be to plan a show and record an album at once because it’s something they’ve done so many times, it should be effortless.

JMRGBY88 likes this.
  10. I also think Scream and Shout is shit. However, for whatever reason, Will.i.am is one of they few people Britney seems to actually feel comfortable with personally (others being Mario Lopez, and to lesser extent, Ryan Secrest and Ellen). It was likely a choice she made to continue with him for Britney Jean. And he just didn’t seem to care enough.

11. Eh, she’s a fan of his work, but she also said during the Glory era that she didn’t have much say when it came to how her past two albums came together, so I’m not sure if she really decided on her own to continue working with him. Britney’s team likely wanted to capitalize on the success of “Scream & Shout” by bringing him on, and thankfully she was a fan, so it wasn’t a hard sell.

There were actual interesting names attached at that point, like Dev Hynes, Naughty Boy, Starsmith, Emeli Sande, Charli XCX, more from Jean-Baptiste who worked on “Scream & Shout”, and more from William Orbit – all confirmed to be on board and working on material. So you really have to wonder where all that material went once “Work Bitch” was released and then suddenly Larry is out here telling Billboard they only have 5 songs recorded, despite the fact that Britney had been in the studio for months prior.

Fans like to blame will.i.am, but this failure of an album ultimately falls on the laps of Britney’s team and the record label.

Womanizer, QueenB, blaze_dave and 2 others like this.
  12. If the producers pulling out had any truth to it, it’s more likely they pulled out probably when they realized Britney barely had any time to record vocals herself or her team just looked like a mess that era. That could’ve been a much bigger pop music scandal than it was (they’re lucky it wasn’t) and the producer would get so much flack for it.

13. I think it’s definitely true that they pulled out. The reasons why may be debatable, but even Naughty Boy and Dev Hynes briefly spoke about their experiences working with her team and, well, read between the lines...

Dev Hynes:

aaronhansome, Mr.Arroz, MYCAL and 9 others like this.
  14. The thought of her working with Dev Hynes still keeps me up at night. I just know it would be magic.

15. I’d read this more as her team was a mess that’s why they pulled out.

Her team’s worry on “won’t make money off this” is weird though because as @Drew said, she was still a major hitmaker in 2013 — an impressive feat considering she held her own with the new generation of female pop stars when even Beyoncé then was struggling on pop radio.

Maybe Brit really was in a delicate financial situation after the Femme Fatale Tour (I know it still made millions but then we don’t know the costs involved with the tour)? Which would explain that they chilled out more during the Glory era on spending for the best producers when Vegas was a runaway hit.

That or her team back then was just greedy as fuck and didn’t care about producing quality music at all if it didn’t give them astronomic returns right away.

16. The Queen of Clean has spoken! Was literally just watching her CBB best bits 12 hours ago. The coincidence!

Mr.Arroz, MYCAL, andru and 1 other person like this.
  17. Well if artists have a successful era, it’s not surprising that the label or whoever would want to continue that streak, so their worry would make sense, especially since Britney was now in her 30s. And going back to that Larry Rudolph interview he gave when “Work Bitch” was released, he basically said will.i.am was brought on because of the public reception (“Scream & Shout” being a hit), so they were definitely in a frame of mind where they wanted to be as commercial and successful as possible.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/...r-on-vegas-ticket-sales-lip-syncing-new-album

18. Wasn't Britney snapped carrying Black Eyed Peas CDRs for years before. She was in stan mode.

19. But then she’s also said her past few albums, pre Glory, she’s had no control and been told what to have and do. I firmly believe the Will.I.Am on Britney Jean was well out of her control.

Britney and Dev would work brilliantly, I remember the supposed demos he did reaching soundcloud and they were wild.

Down with Larry etc etc etc etc.

20. But isn't it funny to say she didn't have time to record her own vocals when so many producers have repeatedly said over the years, how quick she is with the recording process? Like, imagine how quick Hands was recorded and released (OK it's not a solo song but still).

poploz likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.