General Doctor Who Discussion | Page 488 | The Popjustice Forum

General Doctor Who Discussion

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by RHOPJ, Jan 2, 2009.

1. The scene where Sylvia takes her mental breakdown is the scariest part of the story. It's so chilling and low-key, her and Donna on the floor, Donna trying again to get her mother's approval only for Sylvia to respond with monosyllabic answers because she's broken. Also, the fact Russell used events and characters from episodes fans mocked - stories derided for cutesy aliens (The Adipose), the apparently nonthreatening Empress of Rachnoss, or a crashing Starship Titanic - to inflict the damage on Britain was a brilliant touch. Turn Left is a bleak masterpiece. It feels more relevant now, weirdly.

2. Turn Left is a stunning piece of television. Wilf's "it's happening again" line is so chilling

3. Turn Left is easily my favourite episode of the show. Catherine Tate gives a phenomenal performance, I really wish we’d gotten her for longer, I’m incredibly excited for her return.
    I remember when I was younger, I was OBSESSED with Roses look in this episode. She really rocked that leather jacket.

4. Rose developing a lisp on her parallel earth was camp

5. Catherine Tate was totally brilliant in all her appearances. The way everyone knew her as a gobby comedian and had no idea how GOOD she could be at serious acting and could take a sledgehammer to your heart with some of her more emotional moments. An icon.

6. Lol at this tweet. That trailer is many things - good and bad - bit it is not cinematic.

7. Inland Empire

Inland Empire Staff Member

The latter half of Series 4 is just a big fat middle finger to anyone who thought Doctor Who was just a dumb kids' show. It has everything - spectacle, horror, compelling drama, high-concept sci-fi ideas, world-building and maintenance, dark political satire, love, loss, campiness, Steve Pemberton, I could go on and on. Sleep No More remains my favourite episode in terms of personal taste, but I think Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead is the best TV story of the revived series. I don't even like River that much but her final monologue makes me weep every damn time.

Everybody knows that everybody dies.
    But not every day.

Not today.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2022
  8. Sam

Sam

That two parter straight into Midnight was a relentless masterclass in horror TV. Just incredible.

9. Ryan Gosling wearing a Doctor Who t-shirt is a bit surreal, isn't it?

10. And especially one that's fanmade!

iveivan and RHOPJ like this.
  11. He's such a fan.

12. Sophia Myles (Madame de Pompadour) went on Twitter Spaces today to defend N**l Clarke, stating that she "knows what a predator looks like" and that it "definitely isn't him." She blamed things on "cancel culture". Ironically, she called the space "Sophia's Safe Space" and proceeded to block anyone who told her she was wrong.

13. Fuckin hell

14. Sad and unfortunate and very misguided.

GodsAndMonsters and Andrew like this.
  15. Don’t wanna get too excited but…

Inland Empire likes this.
  16. Oh, Big Finish is continuing the series, I'm sure.

17. Featuring Clyde in 2 episodes and Gita in 1...I'm hyperventilating.

Inland Empire and Andrew like this.
  18. Disney is allegedly in talks with the BBC to obtain streaming rights to the new series of Doctor Who. It’s almost certainly for international rights, and this could actually be a huge win. It would really help boost the promotion for the series!

The_Rani and Andrew like this.
  19. Very sad news. He always seemed so lovely.

ModeRed and GodsAndMonsters like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.