General Girls Aloud Discussion | Page 3200 | The Popjustice Forum

General Girls Aloud Discussion

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by marknyc, Nov 16, 2007.

1. I remember emailing someone called Jen, can’t remember if she was from fascination or Shaw Thing, but I asked her what songs were possible singles from Tangled Up and I’m sure she mentioned Girl Overboard as being a possible single. I can’t find the email but she replied to my moaning about the Tangled Up artwork

“I am sorry to hear so many people are disappointed about the cover. The girls and management love it L We wanted to do something more grown up and have designed the whole campaign around the idea of fashion magazines. Our research had shown that people wanted to have a more neutral cover because it was “uncool” to have the band on the cover. There are still going to be loads of pictures of the girls though… + there is going to be a fan edition with different artwork available through the website.

I hope that helps a little…. But yes the purple cover is the official cover for the Tangles Up album.”

2. To me, the perfect Girls Aloud complete era would have been like this:

Sound of the Underground (4 singles - Girls Allowed instead of Life Got Cold)
    What Will the Neighbours Say (4 singles - Graffiti My Soul instead of I'll Stand by You would have been fine to me)
    Chemistry (4 singles - Watch Me Go instead of See the Day)
    The Best of (3 singles - Money getting a single release)
    Tangled Up (3 singles - Black Jacks or Girl Overboard over Can't Speak French would have been fine to me.)
    Out of Control (3 singles - Rolling Back instead of Untouchable would have been fine to me.)
    Studio Album #6 for 2009 (3 singles, I really didn't like they stopped at 5 albums, like one more album after their commercial peak should have been prioritized first before Polydor focused on Cheryl's solo career. Like in hindsight Polydor should have given us the proper final studio album as Out of Control didn't feel like it was going to be their final at the time. While they could have released 3 Cheryl albums from 2010 to 2012, and still earned those number ones.)
    The Aloudest Hits (2012, Something New/On the Metro as the two lead singles released separately. Every Now and Then to cap things off. While the video for Beautiful Cause You Love Me only serving as a bonus video for the DVD.)

Last edited: May 20, 2018
    Sugaboy likes this.
  3. Me when I listen to the studio version of Call the Shots, singing Nadine's adlib in my head:

"I've seen life flow by, like a river..." (LIKE A RIIvveEEEeeeeeRRReeerrrRrrrrrRRRRRR)

4. BLASPHEMY (Untouchable's mangled single edit aside)

5. The only things I would have changed would them not bothering with See The Day even though I love it and adding Girl Overboard.

6. I love 'Can't Speak French' and i can see what direction and what they were trying to do with that. I think it won them some fans and attention so it worked. But i would have liked even more 'Girl Overboard' as a single. It was a stomper. But i think a 4th single would most definitely have broken their Top 10 consecutive record.

7. Girls Aloud (or rather, my iPhone) let me down today.

Something New played a big role in me losing weight 6 years ago and the song's been stuck on my running playlist ever since. It has over 3,300 plays on my iTunes and like 75% of that comes from listening to it when working out. I've done various 10K's and half marathons over the years and I always time playlists so that Something New comes on right at the last hurdle.

I was running in the Aberdeen Baker Hughes 10K today. I was about 3 minutes from the finish line and I realised I'd timed it perfectly. I was on track to cross the finish line around about the end of the song when they're chanting "We're the leaders of the pack, boy you'd better watch you're back (follow the leader)". Perfect, I thought to myself. My adrenaline was pumped. 'Scared of the Dark' was almost finished playing and I was just anticipating Nadine and Cheryl coming blasting into my ears with 'Go girls, g-g-go go go'. C'mon girls, bring it. And... nothing. Well, not nothing, my phone skips the song completely and goes back to the start of the playlist. I was THROWN. It took me completely out of the moment and put a dampener on my sprint to the end.

Ironically the first song on my running playlist is Nadine's Go to Work. I couldn't help but have a chuckle in my head about Nadine trying to steal the show.

8. I always thought Simon was serious about that kind of stuff. LOL yeah I'm sure that was because of all the dancing.

And I have a hard time with Girl Overboard now because in a couple of the later performances, like Warwick Castle (not regular tour dates maybe?), after the bridge/middle 8 where they went up onto the smaller revolving stage and returned with the chorus, Nadine sang, "...and I stumbled---OOOH OHHHHH!" It was amazing. I hate that studio versions never have these fun vocals. Once I hear them, I can't go back.

ohaimanabu and A former member like this.
  9. I'd never watched that performance before, it's a great moment from Nadine! Nicola also had some really lovely ad libs. I always struggle with Sarah's caterwauling on the Girl Overboard performances - there are some moments that are truly additive, like when she takes it up an octave on the last chorus, but she just doesn't know the meaning of restraint. Choose your spots, lady!

10. I have a lot of the tour vocals in my head too when I'm listening/singing along to the albums. Fling for me: 'Strip me of my modesty. Kimberley?!' and Nicola's raw ''You're fine and that's okay.' I always have the urge to play Trick Me after Control of the Knife too...

Kimberley managed a guest spot in the next series of Ackley Bridge. It's a fine series, great cast especially. Give it a watch people.

Untouchable Ace likes this.
  11. I’d have gone with

Sound Of The Underground (4 singles)
    Sound Of The Underground >> No Good Advice >> Life Got Cold >> Love/Hate

Jump (stand-alone)

What Will The Neighbours Say (4 singles)
    The Show >> Love Machine >> I’ll Stand By You//Wake Me Up >> Graffiti My Soul

Chemistry (4 singles)
    Biology >> Whole Lotta History >> Watch Me Go >> Waiting

Sound Of Girls Aloud
    Something Kinda Ooh >> Walk This Way (with Sugababes)

Tangled Up (4 singles)
    Sexy!No,No,No >> Call The Shots >> Can’t Speak French >> Girl Overboard

Out Of Control (3 Singles)

Untouchable >> The Loving Kind >> Love Is Pain

Ten
    On The Metro >> Every Now And Then

Sugaboy likes this.
  12. Talking about the singles, this would be my take on it:

Sound of the Underground:
    Sound of the Underground
    No Good Advice
    Life Got Cold
    Jump

What Will The Neighbours Say?:
    The Show
    Love Machine
    Wake Me Up
    Graffiti My Soul

Long Hot Summer (stand alone, not on the album)

Chemistry:
    Biology
    Waiting
    Whole Lotta History
    Models

The Sound of Girls Aloud:
    Something Kinda Oooh

Walk This Way (stand alone)

Tangled Up:
    Sexy! No No No...
    Call The Shots
    Close To Love
    Can't Speak French

Out of Control:
    The Promise
    Love Is The Key (promo the Christmas Party)
    Untouchable
    Memory of You

Ten:
    Something New
    On The Metro

13. Sound of the Underground:
    Sound of the Underground
    No Good Advice
    Life Got Cold
    Jump

What Will The Neighbours Say?:
    The Show
    Love Machine
    Wake Me Up
    Graffiti My Soul

Chemistry:
    Biology
    Waiting
    Whole Lotta History
    Watch Me Go

The Sound of Girls Aloud:
    Something Kinda Oooh

Walk This Way (stand alone)

Tangled Up:
    Sexy! No No No...
    Call The Shots
    Can’t Speak French
    Girl Overboard

Out of Control:
    The Promise
    Untouchable
    Revolution In The Head

Ten:
    Something New
    On The Metro

14. Unpopular opinion but I would like to put Money as the second single from Sound Of Girls Aloud rather then Think We’re Alone Now.

ohaimanabu likes this.
  15. The instrumental of Money packs a punch, but they could have done so much more lyricwise. Then I could see it as a single instead of I Think We're Alone Now.

16. Or scrap both because they were shit. Money was a raving mess

And in the case of I Think Were Alone Now , I really never understood why they did so many covers.. honestly. There material and potential was far more superior. It just cheapens their legacy for me

17. What annoys me is that we never got Wicked Game or What A Feeling.

jawow_, AndrewX, ohaimanabu and 3 others like this.
  18. There have been some wise moves in their discography though. Some Kind Of Miracle is a bop, but in an album track way and should have never been planned as a single. As well as You Freak Me Out which didn’t even sound like the girls in the chorus.

Untouchable Ace and JMRGBY88 like this.
  19. Yeah they definitely dodged bullets there by getting Jump. I think that probably saved them in the long run.

Island, Elysium, madgemad and 2 others like this.
  20. I think the remix version of Some Kind of Miracle from the re release had single potential.

Jump was a wise move though.

ohaimanabu likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.