General Girls Aloud Discussion | Page 3558 | The Popjustice Forum

General Girls Aloud Discussion

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by marknyc, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

Nadine's hair!!!

upu and Stopremix like this.
  2. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Staff Member

I've always loved it, there's a bit of a Jem and the Holograms vibe to the melody which I love.

lushLuck and V3RYP05H like this.
  3. Long hot summer is that rare breed, a Girls Aloud (non cover) single I like rather than love. See also 'Life got cold' and 'The promise'.

4. For me that’s Wake Me Up. It’s fine but I find the first verse really dull. It massively picks up around “dressed up and put on my make up” though.

j267, letuinmybackdoor and Mvnl like this.
  5. Yeah wake me up is borderline but those bits push it up. Plus all the hair flipping in the video.

6. At about this time of year, I really miss Girls Aloud. The hype for a new album would usually be building about this time.

7. I've gotta agree.
    I've always thought Wake Me Up was one of the weakest singles (minus Nuhdeens 'Don't waste your time...')

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  8. Wake Me Up is probably their third best single. This is some blasphemy I won’t accept.

Rob, DiscoRobot, Euphoria and 16 others like this.
  9. From the WWTNS era?

Booers likes this.
  10. Call The Shots
    The Show
    Wake Me Up

that’s facts.

Elysium, BSaySo, cdd216 and 2 others like this.
  11. I always saw Wake Me Up as a sort of sister to No Good Advice.

No Good Advice is slightly better though.

Rob, AndrewX, kiokiokio and 1 other person like this.
  12. I whole heartedly agree with your number one.
    and The Show may scrape it for me too...

But Sexy!, Underground, French, and both Something's >>>

13. Wake Me Up is top 5 GA for me. Classic.

pedroleum, Angeleyes, BSaySo and 7 others like this.
  14. There's something about that first verse that that isn't very good.

From

Let's sift through the haze ....
    to
    ... makes me wanna break the rules

The melody, the fit of the lyrics with the music, the vocal delivery ... it's all just so flat and, well, boring. But the chorus and the latter parts of the song certainly pick up, but I still rank it as my least favourite non cover single (excluding the very last single).

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  15. I love Wake Me Up. It has such an undeniable energy and sass, a proper rock chicks™ moment. I sometimes use the alternate version although the official is superior if only just for Cheryl's "was it just the margaritas line"

Rooneyboy and lushLuck like this.
  16. I love “Wake Me Up” but it just misses out on my Top 10 Girls Aloud singles.

17. I can’t believe Wake Me Up is getting such slander! Was one of my absolute favourites growing up, and Nadine shaking the girls to “SAD TO HEAR THAT YOU’RE STILL SUGAHHHHH” will be engrained in my brain for DECADES.

One of my favourite Sarah looks too. Same goes for Something Kinda Ooh... the song isn’t their best for me but at the time I was really into the Vauxhall VX220, and as a young boy obsessed with blonde pop stars Sarah was my absolute dream driving one... I made my dad take me to a Vauxhall garage just to sit in one. That is a memory I have not thought about for some time.

18. Hands down the highlight of this tour for me.

Also God bless the DJ who usually plays this version in Thompson's so us cigs can pretend we're headlining the O2. I miss dancing in gay bars so much.

19. Isn’t it “sad to hear that you’re still shook up”, hence the titty shake?

20. ADM

ADM

There's no denying Wake Me Up came alive, live. The extra attudide, the improvised notes, the over-exaggerated harmonies. Even the echoes (reverb?) on Sarahs line at 0:44 add so much!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.