General Janet Jackson Discussion. | Page 478 | The Popjustice Forum

General Janet Jackson Discussion.

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by 777jonny777, Feb 7, 2009.

1. I would maybe concur Janet doesn't have a Vogue/I Will Always Love You worldwide but in the states, What Have You Done for Me Lately, Rhythm Nation, If, Together Again are definitely up to that iconic level.

jakeyfw and TRAVVV like this.
  2. I love love love Janet and that song, but I really don't think it's on the same level of status as those songs worldwide.

3. Isn’t it one of the best selling singles of all time?

4. Yep, it sold 6 million copies worldwide according to Wikipedia, the same as Vogue (although I'm sure that figure has changed).

mindtrappa likes this.
  5. Wow, I actually didn't know that fact.

6. Together Again is one of the few Janet songs I can actually hear when I'm out and about (well.. was), that along with What Have You Done For Me Lately. It was also inescapable back in 1998, before I even knew who she was, I just always recognized the chorus whenever the radio was on.

lushLuck likes this.
  7. LPT

LPT

8. Hm, I don’t see why not. She’s proven she has very eclectic tastes before.

LPT likes this.
  9. So I get that the idea of a Pitbull collab sounds like a nightmare, but this really had no business knocking the way that it did. I can't believe I'm actually mad at her for not releasing a seemingly throwaway trash quick lil single. It might've been a nice bridge for her to connect to an audience that wasn't hearing her at that time. It was a song that was actually Made For (Then).

LPT, Conan and Toxic84 like this.
  10. Nn this is actually a bop but I can barely hear her because the back track is so loud.

11. It is indeed. And rightfully so too, timeless anthem.

Conan likes this.
  12. I'm quite happy none of Janet's songs are as ubiquitous as I Will Always Love You, truth be told. In terms of an artist covering a song and making it their own (thank you Louis Walsh) it's one of the definitive examples, but God is it ever played out.

13. Been spinning Damita Jo for my first time in the last day or so. It’s a lot more instant than All for You I find. Although the tracks between I Want You and SloLove are a bit of a slog... everything else is pretty great though! All Nite is a song that slaps in the most pure and literal sense of the word.

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  14. Is there any reason she hasn’t announced a postponement of the tour? It’s not happening this year. That leaves the album. Surely she must have figured out what she can and can’t do by now. It’s just weird.

15. I imagine an announcement will come sometime this month.

P'NutButter likes this.
  16. Are Janet’s debut and sophomore any good? No one really seems to talk about them.

17. Personally, I don't think they have much to recommend them. Rather anonymous pop/R&B bubblegum. Control is such a statement of purpose and personality and it hit with such meteoric force that it might as well be her debut album. That's when Janet really emerges.

18. I'd imagine a lot of the delay in announcing postponements/cancellations is down to the touring companies, rather than the artists themselves.

19. They’re cute, but inessential. They’re pretty much non-canon at this point. A lot of the uptempos are bops if you like early 80s dance and R&B. The ballads are really drippy though.

I’d recommend listening to “Say You Do” and “Young Love” and that will give you an idea if you’d like the rest or not.

20. I revisited both and didn't think they were that bad. Very ordinary 80's pop and I guess they could have been released by anyone else at the time.

lushLuck likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.