General Janet Jackson Discussion. | Page 487 | The Popjustice Forum

General Janet Jackson Discussion.

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by 777jonny777, Feb 7, 2009.

1. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Didn't quite hit the note that wasn't such a good time

Best ad-lib ever?

2. JANET JACKSON'S RHYTHM NATION 1814

So my friend and I continued our Janet journey today, and we listened to Rhythm Nation. I broke down all the tea as per usual, Janet watching a lot of CNN and whatnot, her goals for the album, what Jimmy and Terry did with her, etc. And we listened. He already knew Rhythm Nation and sort-of Escapade.

He liked that the album started off "powerful" with the title track, how it just hit the ground running. By the end, he said there were "so many words" to describe the album, "force of nature" being some of them. He was blown away. He wrote down 10 of the 12 songs. He loved how she showed a new side, he loved the evolution from Control, how it was still her but it was sharper and edgier and stronger. He thought the ballads were better, the dance songs punchier.

His eyes noticeably widened at Livin' In A World. He wrote it down because he wants to really listen to the song with headphones on and reading the lyrics, but he feels like he may not be able to listen to it much in the future because it has such an upsetting ending. Black Cat was easily his favorite, he was shocked to hear those sounds on a Janet album. He really liked Love Will Never Do (Without You) as well.

Overall he was just so impressed by how sophisticated the Janet machine had become by the time of Rhythm Nation, everything just works on the album. He said that he now knows the basement (Dream Street) and the cream of the crop (Rhythm Nation). His grades so far are as follows:

Janet Jackson: C-
    Dream Street: F
    Control: A-
    Rhythm Nation 1814: A+

I told him about the seven top five hits and State Of The World being a radio hit. Number one singles in three different calendar years. Biggest debut tour at the time. Fifteen Billboard Awards in one night. The Virgin record contract. Rene...

We also listened to The Best Things In Life Are Free. We'll do janet. on Thursday.

3. Rhythm Nation is lowkey the best album of the 80's.

4. ALSO, his eyes widened a bit at the start of Someday Is Tonight when she's like "NO, PLEASE" and the music swells in a foreboding, unattractive way.

djmakemewet and Crisp X like this.
  5. 2014

2014 Staff Member

why 'lowkey'?

lushLuck and smellycat like this.
  6. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Staff Member

One of these days she's gonna post album news in between the 67482 reposts on her Instagram story and no one's gonna know because we're all swiping past them as fast as we can ddd. Maybe she already announced the tour postponement (which I got the email for over a week ago from Ticketmaster) and no one knows because of that!

br0dy, nikkysan, aux and 1 other person like this.
  7. Rhythm Nation would be in my top 20 albums of all time. Absolutely incredible record.

Txetxu and Crisp X like this.
  8. Yeah, it's cute that she likes to repost fan vids and I get it but...we don't care. Give us album news!

RainOnFire likes this.
  9. Poor @LP

I appreciate RN1814 but maybe cause I'm a basic British cigarette I'll always love Control and janet. more.

LPT likes this.
  10. Because there is also Black Celebration, Purple Rain and Sign O’ The Times. It’s hard to pick a fav.

11. Rhythm Nation 1814 and Like A Prayer being released in the same year is absolute legend shit.

LTG, Dreampopboy, Mr Blonde and 21 others like this.
  12. I've been going through an absolute Janet binge/obsession this past month or 2 and suddenly remembered I had the "From Janet to Damita Jo...the videos" on DVD so I'm currently watching it. Janet really was her peak wasn't it? Maybe I'm biased because it came out when I was 14 and I literally listened to it for 2 straight years but it's so good.

http://[​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  13. On the subject of quality of material on this DVD there is no bias. This is art at its best and don’t let anyone try to convince you otherwise.

14. As a 12 year-old US baby gay, this era was absolute magic. In addition to these two (plus Madonna's ongoing domination), Paula Abdul's "Forever Your Girl" era was in its peak in 1989, and Mariah was about to launch in early '90.

LPT, Vasilios, nikkysan and 1 other person like this.
  15. I love the vinyls. I hope she goes even further and re-releases them on cassette like Bjork and perhaps puts out special edition box sets with unheard material. Open the archives!!

Txetxu likes this.
  16. I just listened to The Velvet Rope during my evening walk. Just wow. Always wow.

I first heard the album in 2004, half my life ago. I always respect and support when artists get risky and purge their demons in their work. And while I liked a fair amount of the album, I probably respected and supported it more than I loved it. But it (of course) is one of those albums that grows with you and opens up over time. You have to earn an album like The Velvet Rope and it can take a long time, depending on where you were in life when the journey began.

17. And there were Martika, Taylor Dayne, Jody Watley and Exposé serving good 1989 bops too.

Suburbia, Overdose, Crisp X and 2 others like this.
  18. The booklet for The Velvet Rope smelled soooooo good. I don't know what the ink was. It was intoxicating.

LPT and Smooth Criminal like this.
  19. I don’t know about y’all but the last lyrics in Shoulda Known Better are hitting a bit harder these days.

LPT, Crisp X, 2014 and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.