General Lady Gaga Discussion | Page 3082 | The Popjustice Forum

General Lady Gaga Discussion

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by cherryboomboom, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Am I the only one that doesn't hear that much of a difference in the Sexxx Dreams demo & album version to be bothered by it? Also, Brooklyn Nights is cute, but it does not deserve to replace any song on the final album track listing.

The only songs on that album that truly frustrate me are Swine & ARTPOP, and not because they're bad songs. They actually could've been 2 of Gaga's best songs in her discography, but the hollow/thin production lets them down. They need to be noisier/bassier?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    collxtion, sidle54, R92 and 2 others like this.
  2. I don’t listen to her demos and stuff much, but I’m pretty sure the demo has a different chorus structure, and of course a totally different bridge. I think there was also more prominent synths and stuff like that.

3. It took me a while to get used to the added "you were in my" part on the chorus of Sexxx Dreams, but now it doesn't bother me. In either form its one of my favorite songs of her career.

stuaw and everybodylovesx like this.
  4. I can't believe I'm telling you this but I've had a couple of drinks and... oh my god will remain iconic.

5. Sex Dreams (all versions) are just amazing. The album version really takes you on a journey. I love it.

6. the iTunes Festival performance was A MOMENT.

7. iTunes festival and that American showcase where she’s also in charge of glasses = A class Gaga

mindtrappa likes this.
  8. I'm currently re-watching the Monster Ball HBO blu-ray I have and all the nostalgia is hitting me full on. Its such a well executed concert special. HBO deserved all the awards for it. I loved seeing the small backstage clips aswell while the interludes were playing. Her third best tour imo. The performance of Paparazzi goes off and is probably one of her most creative performances.

[​IMG]

It's kinda sad watching it back also, cos back then she wasn't in any pain from fibromyalgia, she hadn't had her hip injury yet and it's nice to see her so pain free and excited about Born This Way during the special.

9. ddddddd

[​IMG]

JMRGBY88, aaronhansome, stuaw and 9 others like this.
  10. Donald Glover had some things to say about Gaga during a promo interview for the upcoming season of his show.

The sad thing about this is Childish Gambino released a phenomenal album and he's absolutely right about the Grammy's snubbing black artists in favor of subpar work released by white artists. However, there was no need to bring Gaga or P!nk down, especially amidst the Grammy's "women need to step up" nonsense.

Love how this tweet is still relevant years later.

11. I love Donald Glover and I don't disagree with what he's saying at all, but like...Gaga and P!nk are both extremely talented, too. It's an odd point of comparison in any case.

agnete, aaronhansome, stuaw and 6 others like this.
  12. It's interesting he mentioned he went to NYU with Gaga, because I do know someone who was roommates with her when she was there and she barely left her apartment, was bullied on MySpace, and the thing is, Gaga was probably super nice to him -- if they met or knew each other at all. I understand his frustrations but no, Gaga was not handed this career without any single sort of fight or sacrifice just because she is white.

13. SMG

SMG

Sis...
    No-one said white people don't struggle, they just don't have to battle against the ingrained racial prejudice of society.

It does, however, seem strange to label Gaga as a lesser talent when that's evidently not true but I do agree with Donald's point.

sesita and EricG1990 like this.
  14. I actually agree with things that Donald mentioned, the Grammys and the industry do a lot of gatekeeping, especially overlooking forward thinking black art to push mediocre white nonesense like Iggy Azalea or Meghan Trainor. I never @ anyone saying white people don't struggle. And yes, I definitely think its harder for black artists and other artists of color whose talents are sometimes overlooked. I don't like, however, how he worded his sentence by alleging he went to NYU with Gaga and then alluding she is less talented than him. Gaga's skin color, may be a factor to her success -- to an extent -- but come on, what a bad example. Anyway, everyone loves to shit on Gaga.

stuaw and collxtion like this.
  15. I mean. Let’s just compare their recent Grammy performances.

:)

16. It just seems like a messy comparison since black men vs white women comparisons never bring the nuance needed to discuss the privileges each group possesses while also ignoring the presence and reality of disenfranchisement of black women. Though, to be fair, I'm sure there would be some people still angry and pushing back even if he was discussing on the unfair treatment of black women to profit white women instead.

17. Nothing needs to be replaced for Brooklyn Nights but it’s a good enough song (damn good) that it should’ve made ARTPOP a 16 track album.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    stuaw and sidle54 like this.
  18. I’m just going to go ahead and put race to one side for a second because I’m not qualified to comment on it. But to come for Lady Gaga of all people in the industry - inarguably one of the most acclaimed and celebrated performers of her generation - is just beyond stupid. And if he did go to NYU with her he’d know she worked hard as fuck to get where she is today.

Perhaps if Donald would like to release more than one good album over the span of his mostly neglected music career he’d have seen more success by now.

Imagine you’d released the music he had before Awaken My Love as a side hustle to your main work acting and writing on millennial sitcoms, and thinking you deserved to be as successful as full time musician and known industry hustler Lady Gaga.

Like, that comment just makes him look SO stupid. It’s annoyed me quite a lot from him. He’s clearly very intelligent, he should know better.

19. He mentioned Gaga because he knows that's the name that will go in the headline and get the clicks. All due respect to his talent and hustle, but if he was coming for someone, he should have come for terminal mediocrities like Ed Sheeran and Bruno Mars who sweeped the awards and not Gaga, who got shut out (along with other, very deserving and very underrepresented females like Lana and Lorde).

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  20. Sis, you gotta integrate and get like 100 posts before revealing yourself as a troll.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.