General Lady Gaga Discussion | Page 3285 | The Popjustice Forum

General Lady Gaga Discussion

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by cherryboomboom, Dec 22, 2009.

1. RhythmNative

RhythmNative Staff Member

No video, no promo, didn’t even get the pimp finale slot in the movie - but still sold a fuck tonne.

I don’t really have an opinion on the “was A Star Is Born an era” argument because I don’t think Gaga oughta feel like she “should” have new music out by now either way. But I remember making the argument several times that she could make “single moments” out of other tracks on the album - particularly this one - and most people said it wasn’t worth it because the album was selling anyway. Which always felt like a bit of a mercenary argument to me. Why create *any* visuals or performances if the music is going to sell anyway? *shrug*

So it comes down to what you value in pop acts. As pre-album singles, followed by album release and then move on has become the norm, we’re seeing less emphasis placed on songs that have their first airing as an album track. But some of the fun of pop music comes from imagining what your favourite track on an album might look and “feel” like when it gets its moment in the sun.

Ultimately, the question is; in the new release model (that goes way beyond just Gaga) are we getting fewer pop artefacts (visuals, broadcast performances, artworks) or more?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  2. A Star Is Born is a Gaga era. If I suffered through Evita and the four singles so will you. Also Bodyguard = a Whitney era.

3. RhythmNative

I’m inclined to agree. I don’t think we really get to classify eras based on amount of promo anyway. The work existing in itself is enough to qualify. But she clearly put a fair bit of songwriting and creative time into it. So if she’d made more of some of the other songs beyond just Shallow, it would have made more of the moment and bought time for the next album project.

That said, we both lived through the era of 4-5 year gaps between albums as standard. (Austin Powers *and* Swept Away?!) So I never feel myself getting into this frenzy of “why isn’t it out yet - why if she doing this side project instead?!” with today’s big pop girls. As a rule, I’d rather get it when it was good and ready.

MYCAL, HolyWater, stuaw and 2 others like this.
  4. I like how we've had like 5 pages debating, at a vague level, what is and isn't an "era"- a term made up by stan culture anyways and doesn't have a set in stone meaning or requirements to fulfill.

It was an era of time in which she was focused on all things A Star Is Born. However, it was filled with different things than other eras because it's a different kind of project. There should be no debate over if it was a different kind of project... You're comparing a movie and movie soundtrack to standalone pop album...

So long story short, yes, she is overdue for a standalone pop album. Because A Star is Born was not that kind of project.

5. The debate over A Stan Is Bored (©️IMHO) being an era at least feels like it has slightly more room for discussion compared to “Is The Fame Monster an EP” so...progress?

6. A Star Is Born isn't a standalone Gaga album but it IS an era. That's how I see it. Cheek To Cheek was considered an era. Hell even that FAME perfume campaign is considered an era to some fans (debatable)

7. RhythmNative

Nah, that was the arse end of Born This Way. Born This Way song, Born This Way aesthetic.

8. I agree but I've seen lots of fans call it an "era" and associate it with Gaga's messyness in 2012 where she would get into twitter fights, "Princess High", took selfies with stoned red eyes and had a sassier attitude. It was never an era to me. I wouldn't even call it Born This Way since her fashion and aesthetic changed drastically as soon as she dyed her hair brown.

MYCAL likes this.
  10. And that’s it ladies, your lot until 2020 x

Sam likes this.
  11. No it’s bloody not. This is the same woman who works on her albums until Interscope has to pry it out of her hands because it’s so close to release date eg Born This Way

reputation., aux and Petty Mayonnaise like this.
  12. I’m kidding lol. My seat on the September carriage BEEN booked x

13. RJF

RJF

Me reading the tea leaves and trying to figure out if I need to click on Create Thread

[​IMG]

14. aux

aux

@2014 unlock the LG6 thread, it's time x

15. God, are we still arguing about A Star Is Born? Maybe I should actually make myself watch the film and listen to the soundtrack.

16. The true third betrayal.

17. RJF

RJF

If that fucking thread is unlocked before we get a single tangible detail I will make my antics in the last day look decent and peaceful in retrospect.

Sam, papatrick, Bangers&Bops and 9 others like this.
  18. aux

aux

I live for your meltdowns so for the sake of my entertainment I hope it gets unlocked
    [​IMG]

19. Lisa Einhorn-Gilder has been the production coordinator for every Gaga album so far.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    aux likes this.
  20. I'm so glad for Gaga that she decided a few years back that social media is a bad idea for her. The fans are rabid for some new music. I'm glad she doesn't look at that. I almost wish *I* didn't have to look at it, but, I have to because social media is the first place i'd hear about if she actually does announce something.

My fingers are crossed so hard for September. Even if it's just an announcement of an announcement sort of thing. I just want the single, or at least a date or something.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.