General Lady Gaga Discussion | Page 381 | The Popjustice Forum

General Lady Gaga Discussion

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by cherryboomboom, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Re: General Lady GaGa discussion thread

(Applause) this makes me nervous on how her next album will do.

2. RJF

RJF

Re: General Lady GaGa discussion thread

It won't do better than The Fame. It'll still sell shitloads, but she'll never top 13 million for another album.

If she does... Well, Christ.

3. Re: General Lady GaGa discussion thread

Realistically it wont do as well. It just can't the repurcussions of it doing as well would be mindblowing.

4. Re: General Lady GaGa discussion thread

I guess this is the Michael Jackson "Thriller" affect. That album was huge, a smash but when the follow up "Bad" was released it sold well but not the same as "Thriller" and is often referred to as the "flop" of MJ's career.

Not that I'm comparing Gaga to MJ or "The Fame" to "Thriller".

5. Re: General Lady GaGa discussion thread

The Fame- in all its guises- had a slow burn effect topped with a rerelease and was commerically and critically acclaimed. It became one of the best selling albums of the decade at a time when album sales were at an all time low.
    (I'm not sure how formats work, could she hypothetically rerelease it again with a dvd attached?)
    The real test of Gaga's long term commercial success will be how well the next album does alongside its contempories... Teenage Dream / Rated R / Aphrodite all sold below expectations so it'd be interesting to see how she compares and if she can buck the trend.

6. Re: General Lady GaGa discussion thread

honestly, if the album is good and she has another epic moment like Bad Romance, I won't be surprised if it outsells The Fame. Demand for her is huge. She has gained, and continues to gain, new fans everyday.

Maybe her Thriller is still to come.

7. Re: General Lady GaGa discussion thread

The reasoning is though that now she has created demand first week sales will be huge and she will have gone from being a singles artist- whos album solidly sold off the back of a 8 hits in row run- to being an album artist with huge sales initially but then a lot of hard work to mop up casual listeners, withotu doing a crossover song (adult contemporary could be key) a feat / re-release because who but her monsters will fork out for 2/3 more singles having already got the album.

8. Re: General Lady GaGa discussion thread

I predict strong first week sales, but not as consistent as The Fame because it'll be harder for her to win over casual listeners. I think anything between 4 and 5 million would be fantastic, though.

9. RJF

RJF

I think she'll probably clear around that much too. Perhaps into the six/seven if the music is excellent.

10. Re: General Lady GaGa discussion thread

"The Fame" is really two projects though. Even if her next album doesn't sell equal to or more, it would not be fair to compare them.

11. Re: General Lady GaGa discussion thread

Definitly she has connected well in all territories, its not the fans that she needs to convince to buy it though. Its got to be the older less savvy consumers who are still making it chart almost two years after release.

I really do despair and wonder what rock people have lived under that they go to town this weekend and think, "that lady gaga records been out a few years and has 8 tracks on it i know and love to dance to come the weekend, and debbie from work says shes a hoot even in a meat bikini, i think ill jump on this bandwagon and pay that 2 for £10 in HMV see what her albums like. it'll go nicely with the new rihanna album, you know the one with that umbrella song on.

12. RJF

RJF

I'm pretty sure the major bulk of that 13 million is The Fame though. Although I admit I'm not too sure of the sales, and when you count in the fact that the The Fame Monster was 1CD and 2CD in others, it just gets very confusing.

If someone could provide the sales of all the seperate entities, that would be great.

13. Re: General Lady GaGa discussion thread

Does anyone ever really outdo their debut...and I'm not referring to the Rihanna's of the world. But the people who bust out of the gate with strong sales (aka Britney, Christina, Beyonce).

14. Re: General Lady GaGa discussion thread

This is hilarious, I actually laughed out loud.

15. RJF

RJF

I really don't think so. And especially not in this day and age.

You know, it's never actually occured to me what kind of person keeps an album in the Top 10 sixty weeks into its release, but this is exactly it, isn't it?

16. Re: General Lady GaGa discussion thread

That's what I was thinking. I'm not sure it's fair to say that going from The Fame to Born This Way could be akin to going from Thriller to Bad sales-wise. My mind immediately goes to Britney and the difference between BOMT and Oops, surely no one considers the latter a flop just because it didn't manage to sell the record amount its predecessor did?

17. Re: General Lady GaGa discussion thread

I'm sure most of us on here, rape an album to within a inch of its life before we've even seen the first video, waiting for 2 singles maybe is fine, but 2 years on?!
    For all the meat dress faults, it (along with the vma win /endorsement) did boost sales in the UK.

It's like when Simon asks who you'd like to be as successful as, I think at this stage in the game Gaga should aim for Madonna? / Beyonce? last album sales, because the fame sales are truly an anomaly.

18. Re: General Lady GaGa discussion thread

I never knew that Bad was considered a flop, that's astonishing. It just goes to show you how acclaim can revise public opinion over time..

19. Re: General Lady GaGa discussion thread

This made me laugh out loud:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.