General Lady Gaga Discussion | Page 761 | The Popjustice Forum

General Lady Gaga Discussion

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by cherryboomboom, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Re: General Lady GaGa discussion thread

No. HappyGa sounds awful. I want her dark and introspective and cynical. That's when she flourishes. This Mother Gaga 'I understand, come cry to me, little monsters' shtick is just not her. She's an artist.

2. nevermind

nevermind Guest

Re: General Lady GaGa discussion thread

The bottle is nice, but if the perfume is really black, it's not a good idea to wear white clothes.

3. Re: General Lady GaGa discussion thread

It turns clear when oxygenated. Have you never been the victim of an ink gag?

4. LJB

LJB

Calm down. Sometimes people appreciate the togetherness of an album campaign in terms of visually, sonically and lyrically. The mere concept of an 'album' always acknowledges this, however loosely.

5. Archvile6

Archvile6 Guest

Concept albums generally piss me off because, like I said, a lot of the songs are almost unlistenable on their own, out of the context of the album. And I'm just not the kind of person who listens to an album the whole way through each and every time. I skip around my iPod to whatever song I feel like hearing at the moment. It really makes no difference if the songs make sense next to one another. I'll go from listening to I Wanna Go, to Bloody Mary, to Love's Got A Hold On My Heart.

6. Re: General Lady GaGa discussion thread

The idea of an album really has become a kind of outmoded concept in the iTunes generation, hasn't it?

7. Archvile6

Archvile6 Guest

Most definitely.

8. Rmx

Rmx

I disagree. Well maybe I'm too young to have experienced 'true albums' (like, did all albums use to be as cohesive / conceptual as for example Erotica?) but I don't think the albums from my childhood are any more cohesive than the albums now. It's very much down to the artist, right? 'LOUD' is a mess, just like most of her albums, but I think Femme Fatale is quite cohesive, just like most of her albums (except Britney and Circus, hot messes).

9. Archvile6

Archvile6 Guest

But they're not hot messes for a listener like me. I honestly don't know anybody who sits down and listens to a full album for the sake of the album as an art piece. I see it all over on this forum, but in real life? No. Like I said, an album that's cohesive or scattered makes no difference to me (or anybody else I know). I'm just going to rip the songs onto iTunes and cherry pick which ones I want to hear at any given time anyway. The album is lost as soon it becomes an .m4a file.

10. Re: General Lady GaGa discussion thread

Nah, you're right, there have always been albums that equated to little more than singles and some slow song filler, and there's nothing wrong with that. I feel like the idea of a hard-line concept in major label albums has been killed by a combination of iTunes, lagging music sales, and the need for an album to be full of songs that can grab your attention/money from a :30 sample, though. Some albums are consistent stylistically and sonically (Femme Fatale, 21, Confessions, most Goldfrapp albums), but I think true concepts (a la Donna Summer - I Remember Yesterday using songs to represent specific decades, or Janelle Monae's Metropolis story) are few and far between. As much as Gaga likes to give the illusion of a unifying concept (Fear of Monsters *cough*) I don't really think she's ever truly tried to hit that mark (and really, a big 15-song collection stuffed with pop bangers is what suits her a lot better I feel)
    I'll do it when I first listen to the album and a few times after that if I leave the CD in my car stereo and I'm on a long drive. I like the convenience of being able to skip to what I enjoy too.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  11. Rmx

Rmx

I love listening to full albums (though I'll sometimes skip a track here and there). It doesn't work for every album because sometimes there's just too much filler, but when an album is good I play it from start to end (Ray Of Light, The Fame Monster, Born This Way, Blackout, Femme Fatale, On Your Radar, etc.)

12. Re: General Lady GaGa discussion thread

Concept albums are generally shit.

Echoing what others have said, really you just want a record that follows a similar style throughout without sounding too samey - Blackout, for example.

13. Re: General Lady GaGa discussion thread

I like them if the songwriting is there to back up the concept. Shit music will always be shit music, "concept" or not, but if an artist can weave a story over multiple songs, I think that shows a pretty high level of creativity. I think the key is to make sure the songs can work on their own as well as together.

14. RJF

RJF

M83's Hurry Up, We're Dreaming is probably the most impressive concept album I've heard recently, but it's generally not something that's found in pop these days. Let's be honest about that at least.

15. Re: General Lady GaGa discussion thread

djjdiejdirnfijd;;d;;f;f;f

16. Re: General Lady GaGa discussion thread

My two favourite albums are The Fame and Back To Black. Both had a lot of variety among the songs, while belonging to a similar theme and sound.

17. Re: General Lady GaGa discussion thread

I really wish Gaga would have an album as ridiculously lush, classy and cohesive sonically as all Goldfrapp albums. They always feel like a whole world of their own.

Then she can go back to making collections of pop songs with a "theme".

18. Archvile6

Archvile6 Guest

Let me know when Goldbloodyfrapp have a hit.

19. Re: General Lady GaGa discussion thread

Oh, do fuck off. What does that have to with anything, aside from being an unecessary negative comment and shit-stirring like always?

20. Archvile6

Archvile6 Guest

I hate Goldfrapp and I think they're entirely overrated indie-electro nonsense. That's what.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.