General Madonna Discussion | Page 2290 | The Popjustice Forum

General Madonna Discussion

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by debord, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Video and CD single sales most likely.

2. I think the story is that after the video was banned from MTV, they put out a VHS "single" and since that was basically the only way to see it sales were through the roof and took the song to #1.

Noir and ItTakesAMuscle like this.
  3. I don't find it surprising that Justify My Love went to number one, regardless of the video. The marketing was genius, but Madonna always backs up the controversies and hype with good music.

Justify My Love sounded like nothing on the radio and I love all the speaking she did on her songs between 1990 and 1992, using her lower register. I love the beat of Justify My Love, the lyrics, the single cover (with the cigarette), the remixes, the video. It was such an "event" single but I still think the song stands on its own. Rescue Me might be even better - but that song was treated the exact opposite of an event single...

blod and jakeyfw like this.
  4. I have been obsessed with Across The Sky recently. That chorus is heavenly

ChiquitaPlantain, cheida and madgemad like this.
  5. Never a bad time to enjoy Drowned World/Substitute For Love, but yesterday on a cold, sunny Autumn walk, it. took. me. places.

6. Erotica and Rescue Me shit all over Justify My Love.

Mikey1701 likes this.
  7. We wouldn’t have Erotica or Rescue Me without Justify My Love.

The 3 of them work so very well together

Andy French and cheida like this.
  8. Rescue Me is probably my favourite of the three. I love a criminally overlooked track. The Titanic Vocal Mix is IT.

9. Quite. We'll call Justify the prototype in that case, which she refined and bettered thereafter!

Mikey1701 likes this.
  10. Exactly - all 3 are Stellar Madonna.

WhatKindOfKylie? likes this.
  11. Yes to this! Rescue Me is a bop that just gets better each listen.

Mikey1701 likes this.
  12. "Rescue Me" is very overrated and pales in comparison to "Erotica."

13. I don’t think “Rescue Me” gets rated enough, to be honest. Her worn down and raspy Blond Ambition vocals are so good.

14. It would've fit perfectly on the last tour, I agree it's really underrated and largely forgotten about by most.

Also @mindtrappa that 'Erotica' demo you posted was completely new to me and I am obsessed with it!

mindtrappa and rav4boy like this.
  15. I’ve said it a thousand times but the lyrics to Rescue Me are some of her best.

16. I often have “I’m talking...I’m talking...I BELIEVE IN THE POWER OF LOVE” and “hey hey hey hey HEYYYYYYY” in my head, even though I’ve probably only listen to Rescue Me <10 times.

RUNAWAY, WhatKindOfKylie? and Ray like this.
  17. I prefer Erotica to Rescue Me, it's far more unique, though Rescue Me deserves more credit for also being pretty ahead of its time. It sounds quintessentially 90s pop, but it was released at the turn of the decade- a lot of mid 90s pop seemed to take its lead from Rescue Me.

imperialsteroid likes this.
  18. Actually love these quirky horror themed MDNA Skin ads. Have no idea how 'scary skincare' plays to the market but I'm a fan, best acting Madonna's done in a long time too:

FridayNight, JAMIOUSE and Noir like this.
  19. Lowkey don’t even think she’s acting in these ads, but she’s always been good at playing herself in the first place.

Also screaming at her bringing back “send photo”

20. Love it! Madonna's husky tone on Rescue Me, does it for me everytime.

HEARTCORE likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.