General Madonna Discussion | Page 2409 | The Popjustice Forum

General Madonna Discussion

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by debord, Jan 14, 2009.

1. I still wish I could access an alternate universe where David LaChapelle didn’t drop out of directing “Hung Up”

Satyress, Ferk, Andy French and 2 others like this.
  2. Yeah. The fact that they never got around making at least one video while they were still on good terms is a shame really. His quote on why he dropped the project is low key hilarious to revisit:

You know, I gotta thank her because honestly I’ve never said no to a job before. We were in pre-production for the video ‘Hung Up’ when she was screaming at me. (…) I had just finished the documentary Rise and I had really worked so hard. That film opened theatrically all over the world and I had just come from that junket. I was tired. I wanted all my life to do a Madonna video. When she was screaming at me on the phone, I couldn’t take it. (…) The song was good and everything was in place. We were doing the job and I remember that being so mean. The shoots were always so stressful with her, when we did photo shoots. I thought God I can’t go through this. I just hung up the phone. I got very quiet because she was yelling at me. I put the phone down. I hung it up. It was a cellphone actually. My agent was sitting beside me and you know, Macaulay Culkin in Home Alone? She’s like ‘You hung up on Madonna?’ and the funny thing was the song was ‘Hung Up’. I’m not here to judge her. Everything in life is a lesson to me. That’s how I look at it. Honestly, it was the first time I said no. She gave me a gift, in a sense, because from that moment on I realized I didn’t have to do everything. I was working all my life out of fear because I didn’t finish high school. I didn’t have a diploma. My mom said I was going to be homeless when I was a kid and I believed her. I thought so too. I finally said no and nothing bad happened. So I started saying no more and more which led me to stopping all together working for magazines and celebrities. I still shoot celebrities, but it’s rare. When it happens is for a reason. Right now I’m focusing on the fine art work. In a way, Madonna, that experience with her was kind of a catalyst. So I should be grateful.

3. I want to know why she was screaming.

4. There was a similar story about her on the “Me Against the Music” video:

MT: You also edited the video for "Me Against The Music". The collaboration between Britney and Madonna is one of the most discussed moves in Madonna's recent career - some fans really like it and some can't stand it. What do you think about it?

DR: Oh - my, what juicy questions… YIKES! Madonna threatened to take herself out of that video at one point!

She did NOT get along with the director on that video, PAUL HUNTER, either. She had already worked with him on the GAP spot and had not had a good experience. I remember she called Paul to give him some specific notes on the video and I guess, from what Madonna told me right after, she asked him if he was writing down her comments and he said, “No, I’m DRIVING.” Madonna said, “FUCK YOU”, hung up and called me right away. That was the last video I ever cut with Paul Hunter as I sided with Madge instead of him on creative issues and the direction of Madonna’s performance in the clip. I WAS TRYING TO HELP, I SWEAR. I got it to a place where Madonna was happy. I think the art direction is horrible and the wardrobe is stupid… it should have been way more modern, hipper and edgier for both Britney and Madge. It was one of the weakest videos ever, that NEEDED to be strong but just wasn’t.

5. Fuck.

6. Imagine the angry voicenotes Madonna sends to her collaborators.

7. She is so iconic.

9. I disagree with him (or her?) here, at least regarding Britney. I like the suit. Its not exactly an iconic look but its a memorable one, and it was a nice break from low rise jeans and midriff baring tops. Madonna's outfit was a bit boring though, that much is true.

chasingthepast, Satyress and nikkysan like this.
  10. I loathe the styling in the "Me Against the Music" video.

Ferk and FridayNight like this.
  11. I just listened to American Life and I feel so nostalgic.

I wanna be a little girl again and experience the whole era again.

Ferk likes this.
  12. I'm triggered.

13. RJF

RJF

I live for the stories of Madonna terrorising her collaborators.

14. Ray

Ray

15. Why? She looked very classy, sexy and elegant, and she debuted her newly blonde hair after months of being a brunette. It was a comeback to the classic Madonna we all know and love. After people hated American Life, she wanted to remind them she's still that Madonna and she still got it.

16. I wish I worked in the music industry just so Madonna could hurl abuse at me.

17. They must sound something like this:

18. God, I’d be a quivering,shaking and crying mess if Madonna was hurling abuse at me. I’d pay for it! She could cuss me out and call me every name under the sun. Then, as she spat on me and kicked my skull in with her boot, my last words would be a joyful ‘Yas Queen...’ as I lay bleeding out on the floor.

My obituary could honestly say ‘He died doing what he loved.’

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  19. I'd definitely imagine that Madonna is NOT the sort of person to get on the wrong side of.

20. CACKLING at 'are you taking notes?' 'No, I'm driving.' 'FUCK YOU.'

You just know this genuinely happened too.

Also here for the Hung Up song and video love-in. And of course...the recreation of the slow-motion Night Club scene (with elements of SDP Vocal Mix) on the Confessions Tour was a moment in and of itself. From that to crawling and then sashaying down the catwalk, lithe and sweaty, knowing all eyes are on her, reaching the jukebox for the similarly-iconic thrusting...and then spinning on the floor INTO the position from the album cover just as she sings the chorus again. Wig? Haven't heard that since 2006.

It's probably the one single I wish she didn't so dirty on tour because it is life-changing.

EDIT: ddd I love every time she speaks on this tour. I know it off my heart from the CD.

Time goes ByyyyYY...so slow-lay...!

The right side almost beatchyo ass!

Ray, LOTF, nikkysan and 13 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.