General Madonna Discussion | Page 2744 | The Popjustice Forum

General Madonna Discussion

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by debord, Jan 14, 2009.

1. That is objectively false. Madame X scored 5/6 points better than Hard Candy and MDNA on Metacritic and reached 70, which is a perfectly respectable score. It didn't do that much better on Meta than Rebel Heart, but that makes sense since Rebel Heart was considered a course correction. But the scores don't tell the whole story: the vast majority of the reviews said that the record was artistically daring and that Madonna seemed more artistically engaged than she has in a long time. They just varied on how well it worked. Not to mention that some of the negative reviews were ageist.

Again, what did the Madame X era do to tarnish her legacy? And what do you suggest she should have done instead?

Up Down Suite and electrosamurai like this.
  2. That disgusting Pitchfork review is still not deleted?

3. Also, the idea that an artist should box themselves in as a legacy act seems kinda pointless and stupid.

rav4boy, The Bextorian, acl and 3 others like this.
  4. Especially sentences.

5. Womanizer and djessie like this.
  6. So can we start speculating on what will be on the anniversary edition? Maybe some unheard gems?

7. Doubt there will be anything new. 1CD is obviously the original album, 2CD will probably be the album plus the release we got back in March with the remixes and “Supernatural”. I imagine 4 CD will be the original album, a ton of remixes/instrumentals, and maybe a DVD with the music videos.

JMRGBY and johnoclock like this.
  8. Hopefully the rest of Pat's demo's end up on this release. It'd be nice to have all the single edits, remixes etc.

9. After Celebration I just don't trust Warner to do it well.
    I hope somebody creative, with great sympathy and attention to detail is in charge.
    A 12 yr old twitter gay intern will not do maam.

Music Is Life likes this.
  10. Release Confessions Part 2 obviously.

/sarcasm

electrosamurai and Raichu like this.
  11. I don’t see this being anything elaborate or very ~special honestly. Apparently Rhino is handling it? Again, just makes me think it’ll be a physical version of what we got earlier this year digitally because it’s all they could do without Madonna having to sign off.

12. Same, wasn't expecting this at all!

13. But what if... she finally signed it off? I mean, she even changed her socials back when the anniversary was actually happenning, while she basically never mentions her numerous RSD releases. I hope we'll be surprised in a good way! And even if she hasn't, the use of "Oh Father (Edit)" means they can abuse anything that made it on any random promo CD, which is awesome.

14. Yes, same here. It's been a long time coming this re release!

15. This is all so they can sell the vinyl for $$. It will be bare bones.

JMRGBY likes this.
  16. Is everyone missing the fact that it's four discs?

18. Hopefully we'll finally get a release of the 5:00 video version of Express Yourself

19. I agree in a way, they wouldn’t have been able to get those edits and remixes earlier this year without her permission surely? Isn’t that what her contract entailed with Warner is? No alterations to track lists or masters are allowed without consent, they only have permission to repress what already exists, hence the constant coloured vinyl?
    I’m assuming the reason why her back catalogue of singles pre Confessions aren’t online is because there’s nothing in her contract that permits this?
    Maybe that reordering of Like A Prayer was a way of testing if there is demand for the deluxe reissue.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    Up Down Suite likes this.
  20. Sadly there isn’t a hope in hell that this will be handled well. They really shouldn’t bother.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.