General Madonna Discussion | Page 2745 | The Popjustice Forum

General Madonna Discussion

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by debord, Jan 14, 2009.

1. I mean even a remaster of the original album would be worth it.
    I agree that CD 2 will be existing remixes of the singles.
    A DVD of the videos.
    I just don’t know what the third CD would contain.
    Maybe a compilation of already released live versions of the songs throughout her tours lifted from the Her tour dvd / videos. They have the rights to all of that audio.
    Maybe it will be an interview or press pack CD from around that time or audio of Pat and Steve talking about the process of producing the songs a bit like the Michael Jackson CDs did.
    or highlights from the Blond Ambition Tour.

2. Hopefully not 2019 versions of the songs.

BreatheBox and Future Lover like this.
  3. The LAP / Keep It Together mixes alone need two CDs.

AshtrayHeart and Up Down Suite like this.
  4. They can honestly keep all of these. I mean, how hard it is to go the Janet route and just collect everything? It can be squeezed on three discs with room for demos.
    Is it really that difficult? Do these labels really don't have a single hardcore fan, or at least poll those hardcore fans, of the artists they're trying to sell?

Vasilios and WhatKindOfKylie? like this.
  5. Do we know if this will be sent to streaming if it includes more remixes/is indeed different from the reissue earlier this year?

I would kill to have everything from Remixed Prayers on Spotify.

Future Lover likes this.
  6. Indeed, if Janet can do it, surely so can Madonna...

7. Tracklist I made from all the stuff that's out there

Disc 1
    Like a Prayer
    Express Yourself
    Love Song
    Till Death Do Us Part
    Promise to Try
    Cherish
    Dear Jessie
    Oh Father
    Keep It Together
    Spanish Eyes
    Act of Contrition
    Like a Prayer [12'' Extended Remix]
    Express Yourself [Local Mix]
    Cherish [Extended Version]
    Keep It Together [12'' Extended Mix]

Disc 2
    Like a Prayer [7'' Version] - the non-fade version
    Like a Prayer [7'' Remix/Edit]
    Like a Prayer [12'' Dance Mix]
    Like a Prayer [12'' Club Version]
    Like a Prayer [Churchapella]
    Express Yourself [7'' Remix] (!!!)
    Express Yourself [Non-Stop Express Mix]
    Express Yourself [Stop & Go Dubs]
    Cherish [7'' Version]
    Supernatural
    Oh Father (Single Version)
    Dear Jessie [Fade] (MAYBE?)

Disc 3
    Keep It Together [Single Mix]
    Keep It Together [12'' Mix]
    Keep It Together [12'' Remix]
    Keep It Together [Dub]
    Keep It Together [Bonus Beats]
    Keep It Together [Instrumental]
    + promo edits
    Like a Prayer [7'' Dance Edit]
    Like a Prayer [Instra Dub]
    Like a Prayer [Bass Dub]
    Like a Prayer [Dub Beats]
    Express Yourself [Remix/Edit]
    Keep It Together [7'' Remix]

Disc 4
    Demos and unheard goodies, 'cause fuck DVD lives

Disc 1 could be a good standalone, too, in line with what we got with the first remasters. The two CD edition could be just Discs 1 and 4, honestly.

AshtrayHeart likes this.
  8. Wasn't it suggested a few weeks ago that Pat's demo tape would be included? Maybe that's the reason he only released 3 tracks and not the rest, even though he said the rest were coming. And of course those were only released to devalue the auction of the tape.

Future Lover likes this.
  9. I want blond ambition on DVD/streaming period.

djmakemewet and Future Lover like this.
  10. That Disc 1 tracklist is very similar to what I had on my iPod for the album. I just added Supernatural after Act of Contrition and I think I used the 12" Club Version of Like a Prayer.

I keep thinking about the Tango in the Night reissue since that's also Warner. It'd be foolish to dream of an entire disc of outtakes, but I could see them putting HQ audio for the album on the DVD alongside the music videos.

11. Prince's 1999 box set is also Warner, so I am hopeful this could be worth it.

Secret likes this.
  12. Prince also signed off on re-releasing his WBR discography before he died, as long as he was able to oversee everything. It was part of his renewed contract with them.

I think it’s pretty obviously a financial issue, which we’ve heard for years. I think she wants to get the rights to her masters and leverage them for a new deal, either with Warner or another label willing to pay more for the rights while still giving her full creative control over how they are handled when it comes to re-issues. I’ll be very surprised if she signed off on putting anything genuinely new out for this.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  13. I have to laugh when people say "whoever remastered Purple Rain should be kept away from the 1999 remastering process", because, erm, that was Prince.

14. I saw a doc recently where Susan Rogers said Prince was a musical genius but he wasn’t too much interested in making things sound perfect or “better”. He was interested in his sound. That Michael was perfection..and he was just a feeling a captured moment.
    Princes original stuff is still all there. It would not hurt to have fresh ears review his stuff.
    I do hope she has her eye on What Prince / Kate Bush / George Michael and Janet’s estate are doing...and maybe because Prince gave the all clear while he was alive it changed her view on her own legacy.

Faceintheleaves likes this.
  15. Prince was too spontaneous to care about all that – he needed to capture his songs right as they came. I think if his death did anything, it’s making it clear to Madonna that she should be alive to handle things herself, which she’s said she has every intent on doing. If Prince was alive, he’d still be handling these releases himself. Lucky for Warner that he didn’t have a will and he’s not around to tell them what they’re doing wrong.

16. Yeah I think despite Princes genius Warner made some sensible decisions over the years. Record companies perform best when they are the curator of an artist collection. Which is obviously a double edged sword. It really did fall apart for Prince after Warner.

17. I agree in away, I always thought if one of my favs were to bring out a 3 disc album filled to the brim I'd be all over this, but looking at the track list for Emancipation, it's just so overwhelming.

johnoclock likes this.
  18. I think technically the person behind the horrid, brick walled remaster of Purple Rain was Joshua Welton who also was behind Prince's ham fisted dalliances with dubstep. That said, Prince supervised and approved of the final product, so...

AshtrayHeart likes this.
  19. With Madame X tour it seems like Madonna had Kate Bush's Before The Dawn in mind. Children being involved in the show and no phones allowed.

So, maybe there is a chance Madonna will pay attention to Kate's re-issues too.

P'NutButter likes this.
  20. Rhino are generally pretty great at reissues, so if they’re doing the Like A Prayer one I’m down

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.