General Madonna Discussion | Page 2746 | The Popjustice Forum

General Madonna Discussion

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by debord, Jan 14, 2009.

1. I low key want them issue it with a different cover a bit like the George Michael Listen Without Prejudice was.

[​IMG]

Some variation of the rear cover would be great. Be nice to have that iconic more in keeping image too.
    I pray the vinyl smells of Patchouli oil.

posted this a while back.
    Beaut
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. “Deeper And Deeper” was on radio 2 tonight on my drive home. Had a good old bop away to that and though it was an interesting choice - not one you hear everyday

3. The wooden box is perfect, but the design is so fug ddddd

push the button likes this.
  4. You'll get that purple tinted version that was used on Spotify and be happy about it.

Womanizer and Lioncourt like this.
  5. I also had some thoughts on Like A Prayer being inspired by Princes Purple Rain project.
    The purple feel of the era.
    The Prince collab.
    The Sly & The Family Stone nods Express Yourself & Keep It Together (which Prince based the Revolution on)
    The frenetic bass pace Til Death Do Us Part mimicking of I Would Die For You theme and frenetic bass.
    I can totally imagining her briefing Pat saying I want something like I Would Die For You feel.
    When Doves Cry about a couple arguing.
    The mother & father themes explored.
    Act Of Contrition being a guitar crazed prayer...not unlike Let's Go Crazy and it's religious existential feel. Very much like Like A Prayer.
    "What Do You Mean It's Not In The Computer Blue"
    The themes of death.
    The song Purple Rain was originally written for Stevie Nicks and there's certainly a touch of that vibe from Madonna during the album cover sessions. The goth element maybe

Madonna worked with Morris Day (The Time) who was in Purple Rain on Who's That Girl the year before the album was created.
    Dunno...it seems like there's some symbiosis there to me at least.

moorje likes this.
  6. It's designed as a confessions booth grill from the catholic church.

rav4boy and Future Lover like this.
  7. Only if its from the same era but still no.
    This is all kinds of wrong:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    push the button likes this.
  8. Nah, I said the box is perfect, grill and all, and meant it... it's everything else! That "burnt Madonna photos" mock-up is fug fug fug. It's like "Celebration", made worse.

Riise and push the button like this.
  9. If her team or Warner/Rhino had any sense they'd ask Jeri Heiden (Smog Design) who did the original artwork to create a beautiful box set edition filled with all those incredible unused Herb Ritts shots........never goona happen :-(

Faceintheleaves and SlowBurn like this.
  10. Stan
    Jeri Heiden was my 80s idol, a graphic design god. Her and Smash Hits definitely made me want to be come a graphic designer.

11. Such an underrated anthem this!

12. I’d kinda gag if the 4CD boxset came as a bible!
    The gospel according to Madonna

Womanizer, acl, Future Lover and 2 others like this.
  13. Like A Prayer with True Blue, Like A Virgin and Madonna

Four discs

[​IMG]

14. This still bothers me. Also the fact they randomly included the Older unplugged concert as one of the discs.

Vasilios likes this.
  15. Okay, but as someone who doesn't currently have any of these technically, I'd be here for this.

16. Bahaa!!!
    Disc 1: Like A Prayer
    Disc 2: You Can Dance
    Disc 3: Who’s That Girl OST
    Disc 4: I’m Breathless

A scam!

Cundy and Music Is Life like this.
  17. True but having that concert in HQ is worth it.

The reissued vinyl / box set both still used the original covers but yeah, the streaming cover is just... exactly what GM did not want that album cover to be.

18. RJF

RJF

The Herb Ritts shoot for Like A Prayer is... maybe the most beautiful she’s ever looked. Madonna is and has always been beautiful, of course, but it’s one of the few shoots that seems to dismantle what a force and presence she can be and she’s just... stunning.

I’m not sure I’m explaining myself well but like, y’all who get it will get it, right? When I see a picture of Madonna her beauty feels like the least important thing going on sometimes to the point where it gets rendered irrelevant. But then, why would divinity care about such mortal conventions in the first place?

19. It's actually one of the things I've always loved about Madonna. Maybe not so much in recent years but she would always surrender the beauty shot for the overall aesthetic so I completely get your angle on this.

20. Cute fact. The dub mix of Like A Prayer contains a sample of Princes Bob George which at the time was an unreleased track from his shelved Black Album. This mix is way more funk driven and reeks of Prince

There's also supposed to be two unreleased Shep Mixes.
    I imagine this is the sort of stuff we're more likely to get than demos.
    and hopefully that Cherish Shocklee & Castellano Remix mentioned before.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.