General Madonna Discussion | Page 2756 | The Popjustice Forum

General Madonna Discussion

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by debord, Jan 14, 2009.

1. I'm sure there are lots of people who prefer Like A Virgin to Madame X (myself included).

nebojsa, mcuk and Madame X like this.
  2. I’m not against people with bad taste or anything, I have plenty who are friends, but y’all don’t need to shove your questionable choices down our throats

JMRGBY likes this.
  3. I admittedly would not rank Madame X very high, but I also do an internal eye roll when I see someone rank all of her most recent albums at the bottom.

She doesn't have a truly bad album to her name though. Even MDNA - which is probably most generally regarded as her weakest album - isn't bad. So different strokes for different folks. If you've made 14 good albums, somethings gotta come in last.

myblood, HEARTCORE, relby and 2 others like this.
  4. I don't doubt that at all, but I just personally find it extremely hard to relate to. I can see why someone would find Like A Virgin more enjoyable, especially those who like pure pop. But in my mind, one is just so clearly more accomplished than the other and I generally think artistically rich albums are superior to straightforward pop albums.

I mean, I guess you could argue that Virgin's highs are higher since they're classics (I would disagree), but Madame X feels like it was just made with a lot more intention, artistic vision, and consistency. Like A Virgin doesn't really have those qualities. It feels like singles+album filler.

5. I mean, it was also her 2nd album when she was 25 and her priorities were completely different. Why are we even comparing them? I get comparing American Life and Madame X. But who Madonna was in 1984 and where she was in her career is so wildly different to now, it feels silly to compare. Of course she has more to say and more influences now at 61 than she did then.

Cundy, rav4boy, AllGagaLike and 4 others like this.
  6. RJF

RJF

I agree that both MDNA and Hard Candy, while weak, still have a good chunk of tracks that can be salvaged from them. When it comes to Like A Virgin... nah. I adore "Dress You Up" but hate the two marquee singles and nothing else is that essential.

Gang Bang
    Love Spent
    I'm Addicted (...sometimes)
    Falling Free
    Beautiful Killer
    I Fucked Up

Candy Shop
    4 Minutes
    Give It 2 Me
    Heartbeat
    Miles Away
    Devil Wouldn't Recognize You

All good to great. We love an evergreen legend.

7. I think MDNA is better than Virgin TBH. MDNA just seems worse because people expected more from Madonna in 2012.

Because @Madame X ranked Like A Virgin above Madame X and I commented on that. Yes, she had very different priorities, but that's the reason why ranking Virgin higher is really questionable. Virgin is the sound of an artist trying to break through and find herself. It is the production of an immature artist. Madame X is the sound of a mature artist very intentionally challenging the assumption that she's done everything.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  8. What I want to know is, why make your username after an album you obviously don’t think that highly of?

Meathook, myblood, Leis and 7 others like this.
  9. Like a Virgin was her first step into creating conceptual worlds within her albums, so I feel it’s essential for that alone, even if it’s not my personal favorite. However, she did this specific concept again and so much better/more fleshed out with True Blue; similar to what happened with MDNA vs Rebel Heart

10. I plonk Crazy For You and Into The Groove on Like A Virgin, and phew. A classic album.

Andy French and Madame X like this.
  11. Like A Virgin is her Spice. AKA essential.

Cundy and rav4boy like this.
  12. Yes, I know this, but this is exactly why Madame X is a superior album. I'm not arguing that Like A Virgin should be able to compete with it. I'm completely aware of why Virgin is the album that is and why Madame X is the album that it is.

13. Bad taste? Lol. Please post your own ranking that is supposed to be a fact and an example of taste.
    We have different opinions. Deal with it.

It is just an username. Does it really matter? I stan the era overall more than the album.

Daniel_O likes this.
  14. I hate YouTubers and reaction videos, but it's nice to see somebody hear these songs with fresh ears. Also I didn't know 'Inside Of Me' was about Madonna's mother until about a decade after I first heard the track!

bonnieetclyde, TomC and Mvnl like this.
  15. Rankings are stupid, first of all. And, second, my taste is immaculate.

Deal with it.

[​IMG]

16. Yeah, I'm thinking of reporting anyone who makes people go into five pages of nothing but lists.

JMRGBY likes this.
  17. I enjoy watching them too, but I find it funny listening to her try and interpret the song lyrics for Human Nature and Survival without knowing what they are actually about, it's really not a big deal, I just find it funny.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  18. I actually like rankings and don't find them stupid, but I do find the ranking Like A Virgin>Madame X kinda stupid.

19. Ranking Hard Candy last is a very...2009 way of looking at it tibbs. We’ve said it over and over dot mp3 but it really has aged well in the last decade

myblood, nebojsa, djmakemewet and 4 others like this.
  20. I think my main problem with Hard Candy, which more than delivers on its promise to provide the bops, is just that it feels too straightforward in execution. MDNA, despite a couple weird turns, also feels like Madonna is not challenging herself like we know she can. It's not until Rebel Heart that she started getting artistically spunky again, but even that album feels like it's kinda holding back and coloring inside the lines. As I've said before, it's a straightforward pop album with a kooky surface (whereas Madame X is genuinely one of the most left field albums she's ever done). I like Hard Candy a lot and love Rebel Heart (and I have time for a handful of tracks on MDNA), but I feel like they all continued a pattern of Madonna sticking too close to pop and dance that started with Confessions (as immaculately crafted and sonically adventurous as it could be) and started fraying around the edges with Rebel Heart. Madame X completely breaks that pattern, which is why I get kind of annoyed when some fans lump it in with her other recent records. Rebel Heart did lay a bit of groundwork for Madame X, but Madame X is just operating in a whole different dimension from all her work post American Life.

This is not to say that experimental Madonna is necessarily the best Madonna, but Madame X really was what I had been craving from her.

cheida and Anthboy1 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.