General Madonna Discussion | Page 2758 | The Popjustice Forum

General Madonna Discussion

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by debord, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Like a Virgin is better than the debut.

Cundy likes this.
  2. Crack.

acl, Lioncourt, Wired Life and 4 others like this.
  3. The first three albums are flawless masterpieces.
    Even Scooby-Doo, even Chimney Chimney, the tiny lows are made up for by the huge highs.

moorje and madgemad like this.
  4. Was Angel supposed to have a music video using footage of that shoot?
    Surely that can't have been just for the tour book

5. ........no

6. Fuck knows but the tour screens look like it’s footage in places and I’m sure she has a cine camera in some shots. Warner didn’t put one out for fear of over exposure but who knows if anything was filmed or intended for use.

7. Absolutely not

8. Ah, well then that's where we differ. I tend to prefer Madonna's more pop-leaning offerings. I think it's where she excels. Whilst I can appreciate Madame X as an adventurous and intriguing outing for her, I find the songs themselves (even those I like best from the album) rather lacking. And it's the songs themselves that I gain my enjoyment from.

Of course, American Life is my second favourite Madonna album, but whilst it's quite experimental in terms of its soundscape, I think it's a much stronger set of songs.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    nebojsa likes this.
  9. RJF

RJF

The debut is still... so good. It's a scrappy, energetic mess of a thing brimming with potential that she would fulfil and then some. I listen to it and hear the strands of the next thirty plus years; it feels correct in her musical history. She hit the ground running and... really hasn't stopped. Both the debut and Madame X would probably sit quite close to one another on my ranking.

Ray Of Light
    Like A Prayer
    Erotica
    American Life
    Madame X
    Confessions On A Dance Floor
    Rebel Heart
    Madonna
    True Blue
    Bedtime Stories

All at the very least great. Like... point me to the other artist in the game with ten great albums under her belt please.

acl, Mr.Arroz, Bangers&Bops and 15 others like this.
  10. I just don't really enjoy the debut outside of the singles. Like a Virgin is like a shot of girly energy and surpasses the debut, albeit with the inclusion of Gambler, Into the Groove, and Crazy for You.

Cundy, Music Is Life and Vasilios like this.
  11. Her debut is amazing and even though Like A Virgin was rushed out straight after it still has those massive singles going for it.
    I can definitely see a nice progression from the debut to Like A Virgin to the masterpiece that is True Blue.

Cundy, madgemad and Vasilios like this.
  12. My first couple of years of Madonna fandom are a bit jumbled. True Blue was the first album I bought with my own money but Like A Virgin must have been the first Madonna album I owned, via a (copied) cassette my auntie gave me for Christmas (sorry Madonna).

I love Like A Virgin/Desperately Seeking Susan era Madonna. The album, the videos, the Geffen singles, the Virgin Tour, the Wannabees.

Stay and Angel are my favourite tracks, and Material Girl and Like A Virgin are my least favourite, but I still love every second of Like A Virgin... Even Shoo-Be-Doo! It’s probably not an accident that the day childhood me decided there was no god I had a massive Virgin Tour poster above my bed (I’m mortified that my psychology is so mundane!).

And True Blue makes my heart grow three sizes. There are no words...

Cundy likes this.
  13. Shoo Be Doo is really wonderful.

14. The Debut is more essentially MADONNA in ways RJF and many others over the years have written about, but I almost never put it on. I far prefer Like A Virgin as a listen, and never really understood where the weak tracks were meant to be be. I don't adore the album cuts but they're full of life and fun and the whole package is fabulous. True Blue basically ran with it and made it better entirely (and is the best of that early 'scrappy' Madonna era), but LAV being treated like some unwanted step-child is a bit extreme. It comfortably sits in her canon for me.

Prayer/Erotica/Bedtime/ROL/American/Confessions = Perfect

Music
    Madame X
    Madonna/Virgin/Rebel
    I'm Breathless
    Hard Candy = All good to great at times, if not perfect

MDNA = Actively Poor with flashes of decency

There we go.

15. I don’t know if it’s a UK fan thing because of the roll out but the two albums are practically inseparable really. Together they beautifully set out the Madonna agenda for the future.

Most of her later stuff can hark back to the essence of those two records.
    Cool dancefloor synth bopps with a call to arms.
    Self empowerment .
    Unity anthems.
    Sex driven mood pieces.
    Female assertion.
    Attainment vs love.
    Unapologetic ambition and drive.
    Fantasy costume pop.
    Spirituality.
    Double entendres with a nod and a wink.
    The big ballad that she’s continued to knock out of the park since.
    Religious and sexual symbiosis.
    Upbeat pop with positive mantras.

Even the cover of Love Don’t Live Here Anymore feels like the first glimpse into her childhood traumas and themes she would continue to explore in later works.

It’s all there.

16. It's dire.

Raichu likes this.
  17. Like Material Girl? Queen of Reaganomics

It took me a long time to realize this was a typo dd

Cundy, djmakemewet, aux and 1 other person like this.
  18. I used to think Madonna would make a great president. Lol.

Mirwais Ahmadzaï likes this.
  19. I don't think we've ever disagreed before! The intro gives me goosebumps.

Cundy likes this.
  20. Last point.
    I also think the production is far superior on Madonna. It's club oriented and sounds way more alive. There's something muted about Like A Virgin. The bass doesn't have quite as much kick on any of the songs as Lucky Star, Burning Up, Everybody, Holiday, Physcial Attraction. There's a tinny quality. The drums also sound real on a lot of the Virgin songs too. I don't know if that was Nile trying to give it more of a Motown / 70's Disco vibe. Borderline would have been more at home on Like A Virgin (apart from the good solid bass) and Into The Groove on the debut.

I also think the basslines sit lower on the debut tracks or theyre double octaved down maybe with polysynth bass because they have much more weight that the slightly more bouncy less grounded betty boop esque basslines on Virgin.
    Just open Spotify and play Pretender or Stay or Like A Virgin (the album version) followed by Physical Attraction or Burning Up. The Virgin tracks sound like a potato.
    Essentially you FEEL the songs more on the debut. The groove is deeper. If the original songs were recorded slower or lower and were pitched up as per her voice that might explain this
    The versions defo come to life more on The Immaculate and You Can Dance.
    In short Like A Virgin is crying out for a good remaster and maybe even a re-mix.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.