General Madonna Discussion | Page 5 | The Popjustice Forum

General Madonna Discussion

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by debord, Jan 14, 2009.

1. to me, Music must be the peak point of her career - pop album as god intended it to be. fcuk the concept, give us singles - and it's indeed one perfect pop single after the other. it's like the whole of recent pop history and future compressed into 45 minutes. to me, all 00's chart pop (Madonna's own included) sounds like footnotes to that album.

my top 5:
    Music
    Erotica
    Madonna
    American Life (has its fair share of awfulness but, as someone mentioned, the Love Profusion - X-Static Process streak is among her best work)
    Like A Prayer

2. Music is way down on my list of Madge albums. I've always said that it had great singles but was a shit album and American Life had shit singles but was a good album. For me Music has too many boring songs like I Deserve It, Paradise Not For Me (no for me either Madge, ha!), Gone and some other one I can't recall. I do love Imprerssive Instant though.

3. I've never been that keen on Music and American Life - just that electro/acoustic stuff gets a bit boring after a while - both albums have some amazing highlights, but equally, some real low points too. I'd rather have a consistent album from end to start

4. Oh Madonna. She's easily the most interesting popstar ever, and her back catalogue speaks for itself.
    It's pretty difficult to pick her 20 best songs, for example, as even some of her album tracks [Where's The Party?, Physical Attraction, Til Death Do Us Part, Spanish Eyes, etc, etc] are just simply divine!

Her albums can be divided up like this:

Impeccable - True Blue [perfect pop, ]; Like A Prayer [pop meets art]; Ray Of Light [career rejuvenation].

Under-rated - Erotica [some iffy tracks, replace Did You Do It with Goodbye To Innocence and it instantly improves. Whoever said they didn't like Rain should be shot! A very interesting listen and her image at the time and the message she was putting forward was admirable]; American Life [this album and its themes are more relevant now than they were in 2003. The middle run from Love Profusion, Nobody Knows Me, Nothing Fails and Intervention is glorious]; I'm Breathless [I love, love, love this album. Vogue seems so out of place and is so obviously just tacked onto the end of it. He's A Man, Something To Remember, Back In Business and What Can You Lose are sublime].

Over-rated - Confessions On A Dancefloor [I'll probably be killed for this but in retrospect it's not quite as amazing as it could've been. Hard Candy's much more of a 'hark back to her roots' than Confessions. The singles were fantastic but for every Hung Up or Get Together there's an Isaac or Like It Or Not. I do love the record but it's not as amazing as people like to think, not to mention it clearly pilfered ideas from alot of retro songs yet people complain of Hard Candy being a re-thread of recent R&B albums]; Like A Virgin [It's a difficult record for me to warm to. Despite hosting iconic songs such as the title track, Material Girl and on the latter issues, Into The Groove, it's probably my least played. Dress You Up and Angel are all kinds of wonderful, though.]

that leaves me with Music and Bedtime Stories. I find both of them to be transitional records. With Music Madonna was very much moving into deeper elctronica and that was shown with American Life, where she experimented alot more. Music is basically Mirwais' Production album with Madonna's vocals and lyrics over it. Paradise is a gem though!
    With Bedtime Stories you have a quite dull album. Madonna was going from sexual to sensual in an effort to win back those shocked by the Sex era. The videos were cracking though. Besides the released singles, it's hard to imagine anything else being commercially viable at the time.

Oh i forgot Hard Candy....ummm, contractual obligation record it may be... but I still love 90% of the songs and they were even more impressive on tour.

As for her non-album songs then we have such glorious tracks as Into the Groove, Crazy For You, Gambler, the Who's That Girl songs, Justify My Love, Rescue Me [both Immaculated, though], This Used To Be My Playground, I'll Remember, the Evita songs, Beautiful Stranger.... I might've missed one or two, but it shows how bloody impressive that back catalogue of her's is.

5. vasilios

vasilios Guest

Yes but you saw it an english - speaking country, try watching it with subtitles with basic english knowledge... doesn't work. Happened with Moulin Rouge and Dreamgirls... people leaving in groups the moment they realised it was a musical. Stupid... I know.

6. debord

debord Guest

I think ‘Music’ is nigh-on perfect. It takes the template of ‘Ray of Light’ and runs with it. It’s hugely adventurous for a big mainstream pop record yet manages to make that hugely commercial. And ‘Paradise (Not For Me)’, ‘Impressive Instant’, ‘What It Feels Like For A Girl’, ‘Don’t Tell Me’ and ‘Gone’ all rank in my favourite Madonna songs ever.

7. you'd think the fact it was a musical would make it more univeral, no??

8. debord

debord Guest

Ha, to be fair my brother turned to me after the first couple of songs and said, ‘so is the WHOLE THING just songs?!’ He knew it was a musical but not that there was almost no dialogue in it at all.

9. Impressive Instant is my favourite from the album too, but i love the other 3 as well... guess you're just not soft like me , Booers :)
    PNFM just reminds me so much of Serge Gainsbourg, my first love. not even her laughable french accent can spoil it for me.

10. love you.

11. NO! How could you? Rain is gorgeous. Madonna's always been able to sing mid-tempo/ballads really, very well. Take A Bow I'm not keen on but songs like Live To Tell, Crazy For You and Rain are utterly brilliant.

12. multimediac17

multimediac17 Moderator

I must start out by saying that I really feel that without Madonna - her music, her videos, her image - I would probably be a bit of a different person.

Michael Jackson edges her out of being my number one favourite artist, but only very slightly.

My ranking of her albums:

1. The Immaculate Collection
    2. Ray Of Light
    3. American Life
    4. Music
    5. True Blue
    6. GHV2
    7. Like A Prayer
    8. Madonna
    9. Erotica
    10. Hard Candy
    11. Bedtime Stories
    12. Confessions On A Dance Floor
    13. I’m Going To Tell You A Secret
    14. Something To Remember
    15. Like A Virgin
    16. The Confessions Tour
    17. Evita
    18. You Can Dance
    19. I’m Breathless
    20. Who’s That Girl?

My favourite single is 'American Life'. Her best is 'Drowned World/Substitute For Love'.

'Frozen', 'Open Your Heart', 'Jump', 'Vogue', 'Bedtime Story', 'Secret', 'Bad Girl', 'Live To Tell', 'Music', 'Die Another Day', 'Hung Up' - some of the best songs I have ever heard (among many others of hers).

I could, literally, talk about Madonna forever.

13. Oh - Drowned World/Substitute For Love is gorgeous

And the video is really quite moving too, in a way

14. debord

debord Guest

Your ranking misses out Like A Prayer!

15. any love for Open Your Heart? It's so heart-wrenchingly powerful!

16. vasilios

vasilios Guest

IT SO IS!

17. "one is such a lonely numberrrrrr..... ayyy..... ayyy.... ayyy.... open your heart, I'll make you love me!"

18. debord

debord Guest

Yeah it’s brilliant. The chiming chords from it during Drowned World was a really powerful moment.

I love the stories in the tabloids today about Madonna getting counselling to be less ‘domineering’. Hahaha.

19. multimediac17

multimediac17 Moderator

How on earth did I forget that?!? And it was my very first Madonna studio album - bought for me on CD when I was nine after I wore out my aunt's cassette copy.

'Open Your Heart' is one of the most perfect pop songs out there. That tiny bit of it in the Drowned World tour was a little slice of of wonderful, cut out by the otherwise quite okay 'Nobody's Perfect'.

20. I wonder if much of the audience noticed it was even the chords of Open Your Heart? Even when watching the DVD it isn't that obvious.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.