General Madonna Discussion | Page 6 | The Popjustice Forum

General Madonna Discussion

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by debord, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Slow. News. Day.

2. multimediac17

multimediac17 Moderator

I doubt I would have noticed if I were a casual fan, or if I was not paying attention properly. It was very quick. I didn't see the tour live but I have the DVD and 'Open Your Heart' is listed on the back as one of the set list, so I never had a chance to be taken by surprise with it.

3. I didn't see Drowned World live either, but when I saw the song listed on the DVD I was so excited.
    Looking back, the idea of geisha Madge bopping around on stage to Open Your Heart would've been outrageously brilliant!*

*complete with the chair routine from Blond Ambition.

4. multimediac17

multimediac17 Moderator

It was definitely the cruellest moment of any Madonna show. Poor 'Nobody's Perfect', having to being the song that cuts out 'Open Your Heart'.

Geisha Madonna doing anything would be amazing. Geisha Madonna sitting on the toilet would be amazing. Geisha Madonna eating an orange. Geisha Madonna watching Ugly Betty. Geisha Madonna washing the dishes.

I see a webcomic forming here...

5. vasilios

vasilios Guest

The opening night of the Drowned World tour in Barcelona was my first Madonna experience... Goosebumps ahoy!

6. Hung Up @ Sticky & Sweet??!??

7. The only thing about 'Open your heart' is that it's obviously a song sung from a male point of view to a woman and it's been clumsily changed to be from a female point of view. It's all fairly phallic. It probably was written 'your heart is locked and I have the key', 'open your heart' being, I guess, to be crude, open your legs. Madonna's co-write credit of 'additional lyrics' is just changing the gendered viewpoint. But cracking song, despite this.

8. what's more terrifying is that a middle-aged bloke wrote Like A Virgin.

9. debord

debord Guest

I’m sure I read somewhere that it was originally intended for Michael Jackson, and Madonna changed the key of it and added the ‘Open your heart with the key, One is such a lonely number’ section.

I may have completely imagined this, however.

10. wasn't it originally for Cyndi Lauper, too? Hence it's slightly harder edge? I could be imagining this too...

11. multimediac17

multimediac17 Moderator

I haven't seen Sticky & Sweet yet. As soon as it was certain she wasn't coming to Australia (i.e. the moment she announced the tour) I pledged to wait for the DVD and not watch any youtube or anything. If I can't have the live experience I want the next best thing (no pun intended).

12. debord

debord Guest

Oh yes, you're right. It's 'La Isla Bonita' that was for Jacko.

13. multimediac17

multimediac17 Moderator

Which is weird, because I can't imagine him singing that at all. Maybe it was quite different when it was offered to him.

14. who wants to be the one who makes the joke about changing the opening lyrics from San Pedro to Young Pedro?

15. I can imagine Jacko singing a gons like this at the time. The style is a bit like Liberian Girl from the Bad album.

16. vasilios

vasilios Guest

Yes I think he gave La Isla Bonita up when he found Liberian Girl.
    In those 9-track album days, he had to be picky!

Luckily for us, cause La Isla Bonita is one of M's signature hits, 5th single from a multi-selling album, yet mostly a No 1 and a huge seller. In Greece it was bigger than all True Blue singles and DJs started playing it immediately when the album was out. I remember being baffled during 1986 as to why that Madonna song was not in any charts/didn't have a video until it got it's 1987 release!

17. I feel like putting 'sanctuary' on all of a sudden. I love that song.

I have high hopes that the next greatest hits collection (this year?) will produce some interesting limited edition formats with rare and unreleased tracks. I always remember thinking 'Your Honesty' came quite out of the blue with the Remixed and Revisited bundle - I'd never even heard of that song being a rumoured lost gem and it made me think at the time just how much more Madonna is there lying in those Warner vaults....

18. debord

debord Guest

Apparently Flaming Lips are covering 'Borderline' for a new Warner Bros compilation of Warner artists covering older Warner artists.

19. I love a good slowie and Madge has some amazing ones but those 4 tracks on Music (Nobody's Perfect is the other one) really bore me. I was quite disappointed with the album at the time and it's still one of my least listened to.

American Life took me a while to appreciate (I got into it just before Confessions came out) but I'm glad I stuck with it as I love it now. Intervention really is one of the most beaut songs ever.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.