General Video Games discussion | Page 1113 | The Popjustice Forum

General Video Games discussion

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Shockbox, May 4, 2009.

1. Added!

Might as well bump this

2. RJF

RJF

The plot for Tales of Vesperia

Maybe I’m just too used to shit getting gaggy every four minutes in Xenoblade but even Tales of Symphonia had backstabbing and twists and deaths. I’ve just spoken to Lady Gaga’s demonic chicken in the desert and I’m like... still waiting for something to happen that I haven’t predicted twelve steps before it happens. Does shit get gaggy, girls? Do Yuri and Flynn just fuck and get it over with?

bakerboy92 likes this.
  3. There are a couple of parts (I believe you’re rather close to them) that are supposed to gag you, but they’re ruined by being so obvious you wonder if they were even twists to begin with ddd

Now that I’m really thinking about it, aside from the typical “the world in DANGER” JRPG scenario, Vesperia lacks in dramatic moments.

bakerboy92, ohaimanabu and RJF like this.
  4. Well, it's a 11-year-old game, so back then I guess it would have been somewhat gaggy. Now, it's just aight.

5. RJF

RJF

Meh, I don’t think good storytelling is a sign of the times. Hell, if anything it’s something that current games fail on while older games excelled at it.

aux likes this.
  6. Guess the question is "are gaggy moments a sign of good storytelling?" then.

The first time I played Vesperia, it was already about 5 or 6 years old and by that time in my life I plaed most of the big and popular JRPGs, but I still got my life to it. I just loved the approach to characters here, especially with the skits telling so much about each and every one of them. Mainly because they made them not as one-dimensional and so much more alive.

soratami likes this.
  7. My favourite parts of the Vesperia story were actually the beginning/middle when it was more grounded and character driven. The character development/interactions are definitely the highlights for me, but unfortunately a lot of them happen on very easy to to miss sidequests. The story does ramp up later on though, but for me the most gaggy moment was relatively early when

Yuri straight up murders someone. I never expected that from a JRPG protagonist. I think the repercursions of him doing that are some of the best parts of the story as well.

evilsin likes this.
  8. When it comes to the latest Animal Crossing news im really glad this trailer was so much more informative and i loved the look and style of the game because the first trailer left me kinda on the meh side.

I know its a small thing but i love there's gonna be windy wether now. Here's hoping there will be actual windy storms and blizzards too!

9. It was good, but they didn't really show anything new, did they? They only expanded on what we already knew from E3.

I hope we learn about some new features, characters, species and whatnot soon.

10. Speaking of Animal Crossing im still playing my New Leaf one and today the very popular Marshal moved in. He was camping few days ago and i had a free space and no smug villager so i invited him

Right now i have Broffina, Erik, Cobb (originals), Lobo, Teddy, Marina, Flo, Stitches, Marshal. I still dont have a peppy one.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  11. RJF

RJF

I feel like y'all are misinterpreting what I said. I'm not after some nonsensical plot full of stunts, just maybe something where every move doesn't feel so heavily signposted. This isn't really helped by the fact that I find a lot of the dialogue between the characters repetitive (interactions with Rita/Karol/Raven literally... never change) and they'll labour points that are meant to be foreshadowing when in reality it ends up coming across as spoilers because they're going on about it so much.
    I also thought this was super interesting, but it doesn't seem to have gone anywhere outside of making Flynn even more of a sanctimonious asshole and giving some of the characters some fairly basic musings about law and crimes and justice. I actually thought they were maybe setting Yuri up to become a villain and they would eventually replace him in your party with Flynn, but now I'm more convinced that Flynn is doing to die.

Also, if it isn't revealed that Repede is an early stage Entelexaia I'll be very surprised. Even if Estelle has been healing him in battle for the entire game.

evilsin likes this.
  12. Has anyone been checking this GreedFall game? It seems quite promising, very similar to the Dragon Age/Mass Effect games, and the setting looks really interesting as well.

I had heard of it before but never really looked into it before today, and I have to say I am intrigued. It's out in a couple of days too, hope it's as good as it seems.

evilsin likes this.
  13. I guess the thing with Tales games is since the story is told both through cutscenes and skits, which are optional, the same topics being covered more than once isn't unusual. The skits are one of my favourite parts of these games, but I get how they could be too much for some people, especially when there are so many of them.

The law/justice thing is one of the story's main themes and it does lead somewhere later on, but as for your predictions, well...
    you would be wrong on both counts ddd

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    evilsin likes this.
  14. @RJF is going to be so disappointed with the Vesperia ending and I can't wait to read all about it.

Mr Blonde, evilsin, Rhombus and 6 others like this.
  15. So. As someone with a Switch who hates jrpgs and long exposition and menu-based battles, are there any FF games I might consider?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  16. Ddddd @ the clean-up that happened on this page

Leona Clarkson and soratami like this.
  17. The only trolls allowed in this thread are the non-human type.

18. Does anyone think global warming is a good thing? I love Animal Crossing. I think she's as interesting as a typical JRPG.

19. Is anyone playing Classic WoW? I'm considering, but also know that it's basically crack-cocaine and I'll be addicted pretty much instantly.

20. Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast isn’t getting a multiplayer option for switch aka the best part of the game....we will not be purchasing!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.