♡ GIRL GROUP #1s ♡ The Rate - ♛ FINISHED ♛ | Page 55 | The Popjustice Forum

♡ GIRL GROUP #1s ♡ The Rate - ♛ FINISHED ♛

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by Sanctuary, Mar 15, 2018.

1. 07. 2014
    [​IMG]
    Average Score: 7.299
    13. 8.337 - Mr. Mr. - SNSD
    21. 8.040 - Come Back Home - 2NE1
    35. 7.486 - Touch My Body - Sistar
    42. 7.148 - I Swear - Sistar
    51. 6.608 - Whatcha Doin’ Today - 4minute
    58. 6.175 - Darling - Girl’s Day

Highest Scorers:
    9.166 - @eccentricsimply
    9.000 - @Oleander
    8.750 - @eliminathan

Lowest Scorers:
    5.583 - @codecat
    5.500 - @Gintoki
    5.333 - @yuuurei

xx

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  2. Holy crap. Love this gif! Among the most memorable outfits in KPop history, I think.
    Just too bad LE slips out of the frame.

3. Slice of Life

Slice of Life Staff Member

As much as I love Electric Shock and Whistle, they really need to get eliminated now. Ok thank u.

4. Let's keep marching towards the Top 10....

12. Electric Shock
    [​IMG]
    Average: 8.472
    Highest Score: 10 (@Conan, @31entrance, @Salami, @evilsin, @ohnostalgia, @Oleander, @TABOO, @Coming Century, @elektricblue), 9.5 (@Kuhleezi, @ThighHighs), 9 (@He, @junglefish, @yuuurei, @Cotton Park, @Serg., @eccentricsimply, @Slice of Life)
    Lowest Score: 6 (@Dangerous Maknae), 5 (@codecat), 3.5 (Sanctuary)​

Not to be controversial and start #discourse, but… *whsipers* aren’t f(x) technically a noise group? ddddd

People usually get on boy groups (see: someone like Monsta X) for largely being a noise group and making music that’s a lot to take in for many and always so loud. And I’ve jus realized… isn’t that also f(x)? [Making it ironic personally that I don’t really love their early material since I’m a thot for noise music].

A lot of their songs still have silky, sing-a-long melodies associated with girl groups, but I think even their most diehard fans would acknowledge how much of their early production work could be very everything-and-the-kitchen-sink. I think many would even describe this - their experimental nature - as something they love about f(x), so it’s not an inherently negative thing, but just the tendency to sound like a racket being one thing to makes f(x)’s music possibly divisive. You know, you either love it or you hate it.

Even on the more rhythmic “Red Light” (which I would have thrown a 10 to if it was here), f(x) combine engine-revving synths with a more trap-lite bass. The song streamlines their sound but keeps the erraticness of their early work. From the perspective of a casual listener, it wasn’t until 2015’s “4 Walls” that f(x) traded in their off-the-wall erratic productions for the fluidity of house music.

Even with “Electric Shock”, the production in the chorus hits you from fifteen different directions, immensely layered with different little production nuances and effects. For some, it can be an amazing exercise in creative for production, while others may find any aim got lost in all the noise.

Still, given f(x)’s performance thus far, it’s clear they’re not only adored by the public, but respected by many-a k-pop fan for their signature sound and willingness to throw everything including the kitchen sink into their music.

For most of K-PJ, f(x) so much of what makes k-pop great:

@Salami - 10 - Perfection. Perfect example of why f(x) are the greatest K-pop girlgroup and why I will be forever bitter about SM pushing Red Velvet instead when f(x) are clearly capable of top tier material.

@31entrance - 10 - I still bop to this nowadays.

@ThighHighs - 9.5- I’m not sure how the sub feels about this one, but I fucking LOVE it. You can say the chorus is underwritten, which is is, but you can’t say it doesn’t fucking KNOCK! This is where I first truly fell in love with Luna.

@Kuhleezi - 9.5 - Even at their most straightforward electrobop f(x) are way more interesting than most.

@Slice of Life - 9 - Probably the most basic bop of f(x) and yet I still get my life? Yath. The verses are so hard-hitting in the best way. The chorus is a little undercooked but I can forgive it.

@He - 9 - My first f(x) song, just great and it’s everything. Sulli with that defibrillator is a look.

@HouLuis - 8.5 - Classic electropop song, just like I Am The Best, my first reaction was kinda mixed: fun catchy, somehow felt generic but the pre-chorus saves it and gives it a lil bit of melody.

@Squashua - 8.5 - My first f(x) song aww I remember all the jump-wiggling and never-ending use of Es well. The hand-clappy pre-chorus ramp-up into the HYPE chorus remains such a banger worthy moment. It still makes me laugh that for "electric themed props" they actually went and gave the girls a taser, toy lightsaber and a frickin' defibrillator.

@vague - 8.5 - i loved this SO much when it first came, but that love has kind of dissipated a bit over the year. it's still pretty great, but it doesn't really compare to every song they released after.

@BEST FICTION - 8 - Most of their early songs aged like dog poo, but this is still a bop through and through.

@Empty Shoebox - 8 - Chorus here really outshines the rest of the song.

@GeiPanda - 8 - When f(x) finally became interesting for me. It's clear they got a new creative director here who knew how to capture their uniqueness.

@Vixen - 7.5 - I don’t know where I stand with this one. The song’s structure is, admittedly, interesting… but I find the chorus boring. Like it doesn’t get me bopping as much as I feel like it should, if that somehow makes sense? It’s not bad, but f(x) offered better on multiple occasions, let’s be honest.

5. What song do you shady girls hope misses the Top 10?

[​IMG]

6. Slice of Life

evilsin, codecat, Kuhleezi and 7 others like this.

7. WHY DOES THIS FEEL LIKE JESSICA LEAVING ALL OVER AGAIN.

evilsin, ohnostalgia, Serg. and 9 others like this.
  8. I'm actually kind of hoping my last remaining 10 leaves before the top 10 so I can safely say that my highest score in this top 10 is an 8,5 and this rate is as mediocre as Tiffany's Eb5 on 'Mr.Mr' kii

So the song I would want to eliminate is... the perfect and glorious 'I Like That' - who probably deserves to win this rate considering what's left, but we all know you won't let that happen, so eh.

[​IMG]

Sanctuary and Slice of Life like this.
  9. Slice of Life

Ddddd sorry unnie but there is no way I Like That won't be in the Top 10. It rightfully won the Sistar Discography Rate too.

But I don't trust any one you, heauxs, so watch it leave next.

10. I mean...It's actually good, so it has to leave next no? Isn't that how it works? xoxo

11. Next elimination, taking us into the Top 10, coming in like ~30 minutes.

And all I can say is that I have no clue how to anticipate the reaction.
    [​IMG]

12. Can we get a quick round-up of what's left pretty please oppa xoxo

soratami, Sanctuary, codecat and 3 others like this.
  13. One of these:

2011: I Am The Best

2012: Alone / I Love You

2013: Rum Pum Pum Pum

2016: Rough / I Like That / Why So Lonely / Navillera / Whistle / TT

2017: Likey

will NOT be making the Top 10.

soratami, evilsin, HouLuis and 8 others like this.
  14. It's what they deserve tbh, this rate just served to remind me how boring or annoying most of their promo tracks are. Their album tracks and Japanese tracks are largely amazing though. I'm never going to stan SNSD as much as I used to after what happened to Jessica, but I still love a lot of their work. And also Tiffany. Y'all can leave her and her high notes alone!!
    Oh, I guess I really Did That.

Not much to say about Electric Shock, I like it and I'm glad it made it this far.
    I'm hoping for Why So Lonely, no offense to y'all WG lovers but I can't believe it's even still here. Wouldn't be sad if TWICE leaves either but I feel like it's unlikeylikely ... but then again ...
    Hmm.

Sanctuary, HouLuis, codecat and 2 others like this.
  15. Our last song to miss the Top 10 is....

A hard rough pill to swallow....

[​IMG]

11. Rough
    [​IMG]
    Average: 8.486
    Highest Score: 11 (@junglefish, @ThighHighs, @Squashua, @Artemisia), 10 (@Dangerous Maknae, @vague, @Oleander, @BEST FICTION, @Slice of Life, @Gintoki, @eliminathan, @GeiPanda), 9 (@He, @ohnostalgia, @Love Deluxe, @Empty Shoebox)
    Lowest Score: 6 (@Conan, @Salami, @evilsin, @HappyBirthday), 5 (Sanctuary, @Coming Century)​

Generation 3 icons GFRIEND finally lose a song and just miss out on having all of their entries in the rate make it into the Top 10.

Though some may feel like current k-pop doesn’t reach the same heights of former glories, be it in terms of quality or being an event, if there was a “New Generation TriFecta”, many would likely list GFRIEND in it alongside Blackpink and TWICE despite all three being largely different from one another.

While Blackpink aims for an edgy girl crush image and TWICE’s main concept is cosplay girl next door, GFRIEND somewhat pioneered the re-popularization of the school girl concept.

Maybe the changing financial prospects of the industry scared companies and too many Generation 2 mid-tier girl groups were finding their careers stall after experimenting with a sexy concept or two, but it felt like school uniforms were selling like hot cakes and cute was back in style. It was time to put down the mesh tops and pick back up the chemistry textbooks.

To be fair to GFRIEND, it’s not their fault that more romantic and cinematic songs and concepts seems in-style in Korea, while Western stans largely prefer something of a banger to pop their ass to - both styles of music can have validity to them.

Me Gustas Tu and Fingertip do both veer on being pretty traditional bops, though neither went #1 (though, unless I’m being lied to by Wikipedia, it seems Me Gustas Tu ended up being their best-selling song in the long-run, selling a bit more than Rough did in the end). Songs that sound like lush anime opening theme songs, yes, aren’t for everyone, but GFRIEND’s astronomical success prove they are for a lot of people.

Even as more girl crush concepts and groups appear and possibly sway the pendulum back in favor of edgy aesthetics, GFRIEND's latest release being another #2-peaking hit for them proves that there'll always be a market for soaring strings and anime theme songs.

Especially in many of your hearts and ears:

@Squashua - 11 - There were so many of my former 11s from other rates involved in this one (Mr. Mr., So Cool, I Love You) but honestly, when I step back and think which of these songs not only made the most sudden impact on me as it also did on Korea then it has to be Rough that comes out on top. Caught in a cherry blossom moment where the stars aligned, Rough is unbridled anime first love emotion wrapped up in a sea of snowfall, tears and sudden gusts of wind as the strings rise to a crescendo and you catapult to the galaxies of fear, love, hope, regret all the way back down to earth with your feelings shredded by the sound of a sudden electric guitar solo out of nowhere. It's all the schoolgirl K-Pop cliches you thought you knew except distilled with the hindsight of loss, not hope, the urgency of fleeting time and the impending nature of destiny. It's 2x choreo versions, it's clock-arm motions, it's one soaring Yuju vocal ad-lib after another, it's the teddy bear Gummy Yerin abused then abandoned at a bus stop despite its pleas like a Lifetime special of Roxxxy Andrews' life story in the most heartbreaking storyline in the whole video - what it is classic. Timeless. I firmly believe that regardless of where GFriend go from this point or what we think of their recent comebacks, this will forever go down as a South Korean anthem of a generation. It's just the perfect lightning storm moment for a group that deserved to be pulled out into the spotlight and I still get low-key emotional listening to it even now 2 years later in my mid-twenties.

@ThighHighs - 11- The best thing GFriend have ever done and the moment I officially knew they would have some staying power. There isn’t a single part of this song/video/choreo package that I would change. They all sound incredible, the chorus is explosive and emotional, and their choreography is next level. I knew from the first time I heard. That bit in the last chorus where the music drops out and you hear the ticking clock in the background before the strings come crashing back in? Snatched. Also, a fucking SENTIENT TEDDY BEAR ADDING TO THE DRAMA:
    [​IMG]

@vague - 10 - amazing life-affirming masterpiece

@Slice of Life - 10 - I'm gonna cry; this is still so, so perfect. What an absolute marvel of a song. Rough is proof that innocent concepts need not be beige. That string-heavy production, the fucking choreography, Yuju's vocals. This is a 10 on all fronts.

@BEST FICTION - 10 - 2016 was the year I checked out of K-Pop cause it seemed like all my faves were either gone or flopping and I was fed up. So catching up on Gfriend in 2017 was a RIDE. I went from being confused why they had such a huge following with Me Gustas Tu to being WAXED BALD'T with Rough. That was a classic.

@Empty Shoebox - 9 - It's at this point in the commentary where I have finally run out of things to say. That bit where the song just stops is inexcusable though. Drop it.

@He - 9 - Peak Gfriend. Great song, amazing choreo.

@Kuhleezi - 8.5 - I've started to warm up a lot to these girls in the past few months and it leaves me quite baffled to be honest. Maybe by the end of the year I'll be, not a full on buddy, but maybe a rosebud.

@Vixen - 8 - Look, I love me sum’ Anime opener realness from GFRIEND from time to time, but this is not one of my favorite offerings, even if sometimes their songs do all sound the same somehow dddd. I mean, this is not bad at all in any way, it’s just not all that good either, nor do I think it really deserved to be their first #1, but werk it ladies! Bonus points for all the meat that Yuju serves on every last chorus. We love a powerhouse vocalist!

@HouLuis - 8 - Sounds like an anime song, which is amazing. The production is quite dramatic which took me some time to get into, love the guitar solo in the middle 8. The choreography is killer just as every GFRIEND dance.

@31entrance - 8 - song's not bad but the choreography is the real highlight here.

Only a very small minority of you weren't feeling it:

@HappyBirthday - 6 - Anyone else creeped out by the “if I was older we could be together!” type lyric?

@Salami - 6 - So overrated. I don’t get the appeal really, it’s good but it’s not great. I have played it a lot though so maybe it’s decent background music?

16. something something see when you do clownery, the clown comes back to bite something something

(I'm actually sad because I gave it an 8 and I do like it a fair amount more than like 4-5 five songs in the top 10)

Sanctuary, HouLuis and yuuurei like this.
  17. I am gagged at how Navillera outlasted Rough... When Rough is the superior one!

I would've prefered Why So Lonely or the Sistar tracks to leave first honestly.

And I am going to take the opportunity to post here their best album track:

the late 90s feel is real!!

Sanctuary and codecat like this.
  18. GFRIEND died for our sins because y'all heauxs just wouldn't listen to me.

Sanctuary, Serg., codecat and 5 others like this.
  19. Slice of Life

20. Ok but Navillera is GFRIEND's best title track and I'm glad we all agree.

BUT IT STILL SHOULD'VE BEEN TOP 10!

Sanctuary, Serg., Kuhleezi and 4 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.