Girl Groups - what goes wrong

Hello,
I am interested in the history of girl groups, i wondered who people thought were the most important ones and why it is they seem to manage to loose members more quickly than men groups,
Supremes, Three Degrees, Banarama, Atomic Kitten, Spice Girls Sugababes, is it just women or is there something more to it?
JDS

L

Lady Agnes Holland

Personality/ ego/ friction . . call it what you will.

Eventually the same ingredients rise to the surface and ignite like a spark, boil over and things are never quite the same as before.

Generally girls do tend to outwardly "express" these things more than boys who tend to "repress" them, but despite whatever PR spin the label (and sometimes even the group themselves) put on events, the end result is almost always the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say the revolving door of members allows many of these groups to last longer than they otherwise would and certainly they tend to last longer than boy groups especially, who are more prone to just breaking up instead of rotating out members.

I

innamor.

When a producer favours one over the other (Shaznay)

When band members change (Mutya -> Amelle)

When band members leave (Geri)

When certain members have an ego (Diana, Nicole)

Countless things really

someones been watching that girlgroup programme on BBC2 tonight eh?

I think the reason girl bands seem to have more bust ups etc is simply (stereotypically) a females nature. Id imagine if there were all gay boy bands it'd be pretty much the same lol

Boys handle arguments much better than women generally - feuds between guys rarely last more than a week and if they last for long, they are likely to just get on with it i.e. their job.

Also with females there is more competition especially when it comes to image which could also cause friction especially when one of them is branded the hot one. Boy bands seem less concerned about that stuff. These are all generalisations though.

The competition for the spotlight. If some of the girls don't realise their place in the group and try and push for more attention it upsets the flow and thats when wigs start flying.

D

duckface

It all goes wrong when:

- The Beyonce leaves (see: Sugababes).
- The Kelly Rowland is placed in a leadership position (see: Sugababes).
- Label loses faith in girl group and starts placing it in direct competition with girl group (b), forcing the Kelly Rowland to develop an unnecessary inferiority complex and begin to hate the other members for not being Beyonce (see: Sugababes).
- Michelle Williams is put in charge (see: Sugababes).

Other cases:

- There are a pair of siblings involved (see: All Saints, B*Witched, Eternal).
- Solo projects begin to take precedence (see: Spice Girls).
- Group material starts to resemble solo material (see: Girls Aloud).
- There is nothing resembling a Nadine but one member thinks she could be a Nadine but really there is no way (see: Clea).
- The Nadine seems like a bit of a Jessie J (see: Solid Harmonie).
- Banjos enter the picture (see: B*Witched).
- There are two line-up changes within one year and fans have unnecessarily bought a re-recorded album that never needed to be re-recorded (see: Honeyz).
- The music all starts to sound the same (see: Atomic Kitten).

This post might as well be titled 'The Trials and Tribulations of duckface, a gentleman'.

D

duckface

duckface loves a good girlband.

And many shit ones too.

Hah, I should clarify that I have never and will never be a fan of B*Witched or Clea. I did feel bad for them when their success faltered/never started, though.

Women can sing, pose, plot murder and dance in heels all at once, whereas men can't multitask enough to manage backstabbery. Duh.

I disagree because I know if I was in a band, I would sleep with whoever, "accidentally" push whomever down the stairs, sabotage my bandmates outfits and microphones and still be scheming in my head whilst slaying the lead vocals and choreography centre stage, to ensure that I would be the Beyonce of the pack.

To add to Duckface's comprehensive list, there's also the scenario where the Beyoncé is the only real member and they just shove a few random backing dancers behind them for effect (one of these may or may not be a man). I like to call it the Single Ladies approach to girlbandery, made famous by a certain Miss Scherzinger.

To be honest I don't think there is that much of a difference between male and female groups really. I mean Duran Duran lost members in the eighties before Bananarama did. And the Three Degrees might be known for having a lot of members but during their commercially successful period, they only changed one member and both those line ups lasted about 10 years each... more than most male groups did back in those days. And the Drifters and the Commodores had members come and go much like the Supremes, like Diana Ross, Lionel Richie was replaced when it felt like his solo career was taking off.

I suppose pregnancy and children can be a factor as to why women may be more inclined to give up the career or leave a group.

She/her
Boys handle arguments much better than women generally - feuds between guys rarely last more than a week and if they last for long, they are likely to just get on with it i.e. their job.

Also with females there is more competition especially when it comes to image which could also cause friction especially when one of them is branded the hot one. Boy bands seem less concerned about that stuff. These are all generalisations though.

I agree.

With girl groups there's a lot of manipulation going on behind the scenes, which isn't as prevalent with boy bands.

An extreme example of this was seen with Destiny's Child. Matthew went out his way to ensure that the only 'uncommon' name in the group was his daughter's.

Anyone that has followed the group from the very beginning (i.e: booed at the NBA All-Stars Weekend) can tell you that Beyoncé was quite easily overshadowed by LeToya. Heck, she was reduced to being MTV's correspondent at their Award show back in 2000. The same year the group blew up with Say My Name, Jumpin' Jumpin' and Independent Women.

It's meant to be a Sisterhood but if a man get's involved that goes out the window...

Each member has a place but sometimes the backing wants to be the lead.

- i watched that Doc on BBC2 last night - made me want The Ronette's albums.