Girl Groups - what goes wrong | Page 3 | The Popjustice Forum

Girl Groups - what goes wrong

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by JDS, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Well Nicola was/is the one that gets a bit victimized in the press, by being Ginger and not smiling, plus she also generates a lot of support from some fans in her Little Nicola mode, whether she gets small parts in the middle 8 ("Helloooo did you call me?" and "Always were the dye in the wool....") or bigger parts in amazing album tracks (Swinging London Town).

The fact that the one who keeps them all together (Kimberley) is the least talked about in the press (at least before Strictly) and has such a level head also helps. She's the glue that keeps them all together. Also fan support for her spoken word sexiness in small doses ("Oh. Boy. I can't tell you how sad I'd feel....")

Are they the longest running girl group that has kept all it's members? Maybe The Andrews Sisters take the title, but they're certainly an anomaly.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  2. vasilios

vasilios Guest

Mark Owen.

Then Robbie, Howard, Jason and Gary.

Mark was 70% of the fan base's fave.

3. Consuelanono

Consuelanono Guest

When the most important member is a lazy fussbudget and another member in cahoots with the most important member is gay.

Wait.

4. What girl group is that?

5. Consuelanono

Consuelanono Guest

One where the only members who mattered were female. Same thing, right?

6. Oh, right. Boy-girl band Steps, I forgot about them. I was always more of an S Club 7 fan.

7. Consuelanono

Consuelanono Guest

Didn't S Club 7 have more of an even distribution as far as vocals go?

8. Jo was the main lead singer, but Bradley and Rachel also lead a lot of songs as well. Don't Stop Movin' was Bradley's shining moment. Overall though, they all got to sing (which is rare for a group with 7 members). On some albums, every member got to have a solo/lead song.

9. I'm still failing to see any evidence that this is the case any more than it is over male groups.

Girls Aloud (10 years), The Three Degrees (2 incarnations both about 10 years each) and Bananarama (9 years) have all lasted longer with their members intact than most male groups, including Take That, Westlife, 'n sync, Boyzone, Busted...

The only difference is there are more male groups out there hence more that might last.

10. I don't really see how it's any different between male and female groups. It's about personalities and egos but I do think the media are more interested in 'catfights' because it's somehow more titillating than one guy in a boyband kicking the shit out of another member.

11. I always wondered why it was that in Britain/Ireland, Boy "Bands" are more prevalent, while in the U.S. Girl Groups are (We've had loads of them, the 1960's alone is overflowing with Girl Groups)?

Maybe because we (Americans) have more of an R&B scene that usually had Girl Groups crossover to do R&B-Pop :?

12. Hitori

Hitori Guest

Girl groups need to be 100% controlled by a big company to achieve perfection! Kidding!

[video=youtube;YFbyh0wzTS0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFbyh0wzTS0[/video]

13. You need only look at Oasis, The Verve, The Stone Roses, The Smiths or Razorlight - just to pick five examples out of the air - to see that any suggestion of gender being the issue is complete and utter bollocks.

14. Ugh k-pop! who listens to that!

15. Koreans!

Girls Generation are amazing though, or at least Oh! is.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.