GIRL POWER! ✌️ The Spice Girls Discography Rate (RESULTS: WINNER! +) | Page 14 | The Popjustice Forum

GIRL POWER! ✌️ The Spice Girls Discography Rate (RESULTS: WINNER! +)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by P'NutButter, Apr 23, 2018.

?

Your favourite Spice Girl?

1. Baby

45 vote(s)
    27.6%
  2. Ginger

50 vote(s)
    30.7%
  3. Posh

35 vote(s)
    21.5%
  4. Scary

14 vote(s)
    8.6%
  5. Sporty

19 vote(s)
    11.7%
  1. I listened to it all the way through for the first time since it originally came out in preparation for this rate and the amount of forgettable RnB lite filler is unreal. Mel B’s shouty rap on Right Back at Ya is as hilarious as I remember it though - how did she manage to go from her laid back, sexy northern-inflected rap in If You Can’t Dance to this hot mess?

P'NutButter likes this.
  2. They do, but it's a heck of a lot harder to find. I forked out £72 on it a few years back - it's like my baby!!!

3. Sounds very rare then! Good find.

P'NutButter likes this.
  4. Two quite unexpected things with the scoring thus far - one song, is getting done so wrong (IMO) and another song is (surprisingly for me) dividing opinion.

andru, londonrain, Robert and 4 others like this.
  5. Intriguing! Thanks for the hints.

andru and Stopremix like this.
  6. Nice to see Emma and Geri getting the most votes in the poll!

7. Best Spice Girls for me!

andru, Robert and _Gru_ like this.
  8. Hello yes I'm doing this. The Spice Girls were my life when I was 9-10 years old and Spiceworld remains one of my favorite albums ever. Now I have to admit, I've never listened to Forever and I only vaguely remember the singles, so my scores for it might be a bit low. My commentary is probably also just going to be variations on "oh god my childhood" but I'll do my best.

9. Listened to Forever in full for the first time and apart from like 3/4 songs it’s just..
    [​IMG]

andru, Stopremix, Ray and 2 others like this.
  10. There's nothing wrong with Forever as an album but it's not a Spice Girls album.

andru, Ray, Mirwais Ahmadzaï and 2 others like this.
  11. I don't think Forever is that bad. Holler, Let Love Lead the Way, Goodbye and Tell Me Why are all fine, I wouldn't change a thing. If You Wanna Have Some Fun could have been shorter, while the original mix of Right Back at Ya is better so I don't dislike it anymore unlike in the past. Get Down with Me is a bop.

The only song that I didn't like is Wasting My Time. The others are b-side material, but I liked their lyrics.

12. Having listened to Forever now I can say I didn't hate or love it, there were some decent tracks and some I could have done without.

vague likes this.
  13. May or may not have to give Love Thing an eleven for being THAT terrific bop. “Come and have a go if you think yer hard enough” etc.

14. ^ Speaking of which...

- it's a shame the vocal isn't clear, but it's close to the live remix.

15. I get what you mean there. By another Girl Group, it be more respected I think. Just after the highs of Spice and Spiceworld, fell so short for many.

andru and londonrain like this.
  16. Indeed and I love their bond in recent years.

17. Yes, it's cute too see. #friendshipeverends

_Gru_ likes this.
  18. Loving the Forever era nod there!

andru and P'NutButter like this.
  19. [​IMG]

So, here it is my review of the ugly stepchild from the Spice Girls catalog.
    My feelings for this album are simple, I appreciate they wanted to mature and grow but in doing that they became generic and ultimately dull. But the album has some highlights!

'Holler'
    the first single from the Forever era is brilliant, it was a great transition for the girls yet had that fierce energy still intact. 9

Geri leaving the group obviously is touched upon on this album in a couple of places, one supposedly being 'Tell Me Why', I love that Victoria is the star of this track. 8.5

'Let Love Lead The Way' is a genuinely brilliant ballad, it sounds like a Spice Girls ballad but obviously having that R&B influence works a treat. 9

'Right Back At Ya' is a tricky one for me to rate, the pop version is a classic Spice Girls track (IMO) but the production of the album version seemed to suck all life from the thing. Shame. 6

'Get Down With Me'
    is a great album track, it holds up well almost two decades later. But it's still not that exciting. 4

Filler next with 'Wasting My Time', it confuses the hell out of me when I see fans hold this track as one of their best, it's so bland and just meh. 1

'Weekend Love' is quite cheesy, but it's also one of the few moments on this album that doesn't come across as cold. Also Mel B rapping with her northern accent is a joy! 5

Spice ballads are mostly a strong point for the group, but 'Time Goes By' is an exception. Though it's beautiful and the girls vocals sound strong (bless Vicky) it is one of the most boring songs, ever. 2

Hallelujah for the last three songs on this album - first is 'If You Wanna Have Some Fun', a pop/R&B track with an 80's vibe produced by Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, it is a real breath of fresh air on this sometimes stale album. 9

'Oxygen' is a gorgeous ballad, again immaculately produced by Jam and Lewis. 8

One of the best ever Spice Girl songs ends this album, and (surprise) again it's a Biffco song, 'Goodbye'. A little story from me with this song is that when my house was being badly haunted (or we believed it to be, boxes flying off wardrobes, lights switching on/off on their own, etc) I sang this song as a sort of exorcism to send the bad presence on it's way. 10

A couple of oddities from (before) this era, the covers of 'My Strongest Suit' 5 and 'Christmas Wrapping' 4.5 - both fun additions to their catalog.

So, the Forever era is a mixed bag. Some of these tracks may sound dated but are enjoyable while others are just a reminder of why this album kinda flopped on it's arse...

vague, SexyForever, andru and 10 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.