Girls Aloud - Call The Shots (17th Single)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like About You Now, but I'm not really impressed by it. I'm not necessarily impressed by Call the Shots either... neither records are groundbreaking by any means... but I feel that Call the Shots is less generic overall than About You Now.

My god Call The Shots is miles better than About You Know. But that's just my opinion, let's not start all that nonsense again. I can't believe some people are down on the album already, blimey!

V

vasilios

How is it miles better? About You Now is a geniune, pop smash, it wil be pretty big outside of the UK too. I can't see Call The Shots doing half as well.

Don't want to get into a fight but for starters, About You Know's lyrics are bland and predictable. The production is pretty dated as well.

vasilios said:
How is it miles better? About You Now is a geniune, pop smash, it wil be pretty big outside of the UK too. I can't see Call The Shots doing half as well.

Come on now, We all know that success in the charts does not necessarily equate to quality!

I get Call The Shots, I think it's beautiful, I'll probably shed a tear while listening to it if I'm feeling hormonal. But I don't get About You Now, it kind of washes over me.

aethyrsprite said:
popknark said:
This is the first single since "Jump" I believe has serious potential to be an international hit. Swedish radio would love this.

Yea. The real questio is wether British radio will. I think that's what Fascination is trying to do: produce a dead-mainstream -but nice- song, get a lot of airplay, bring audiences in, and sale lots of records. This single is not released as a 'statement of intent' (like The Show, Biology, Sexy, etc), but as an attempt to mass appeal. I really hope it will work. The only real danger is that the Suggababes have just done exactly that. so that the audience might be a bit saturated.

Their management always insisted on a cover single for each album so that it was mainstream and got airplay to restore interest of those who are not fans.

This song being so mainstream may be for that purpose, considering there aren't even any covers on the album let alone as a single.

I was being glib, and I wasn't referring to Mr PJ but PopJustice as a whole (aka PopJustice et al), including the posters. And how ridiculous is it to say that because PJ liked one mid-tempo pop song, it follows that PJ would like another?

And your standards are a bit high...an 80 page thread on SI_CANNOT_USE_REAL_WORDS_PROPERLY = cold shoulder? And Something Kinda Ooooh was nominated for the PJ prize. You can make the case that Girls Aloud are more valued and not overvalued, but to say that they are underappreciated here is bogus.

aethyrsprite said:
xenomania said:
I know PopJustice et al have a contractual obligation to find every Girls Aloud track to be a Pop Triumph (tm)(c) [...].

Non of my business, but that's a bit unfair.
PJ has actually given the cold shoulder to S!I_CANNOT_USE_REAL_WORDS_PROPERLY_; and the reception of SKO was not very enthusiastic either, if i remember well. We mostly interpreted such lukewarm-ness as symptomatic of PJ's 'link' to Fascination: to avoid being seen as 'advertising'.(As a matter of fact we don't know that a PJ-Fascination link exists at all: they've issued a compilation two years back. So?).
Alterativelly, it isquite clear that PJ has a tooth for well done mid-tempo pop songs. If they praised the recent Suggababes issue, it makes perfect sense to do the same with the Shots, since they both are of similar mould.

B

BachelorNo2

About You Now is a complete shitstorm of mediocrity, and that's putting it nicely. I've said it to people time and time again. I don't understand what's so special about it at all. It sounds like something that Hilary Duff would have released had she not discovered electro pop with Dignity, and if she, or one of her fellow Disney boppers had released it or something similar (which they do anyway) it would be heralded as the bland piece of shit that it is.

That's not to say that Call The Shots is amazing either, it's not. It plods along quite nicely, and has some lovely bits to it, but it's still bland. But Girls Aloud bland is MUCH better than About You Now.

Gosh, I think my three days of being very ill have pissed me off somewhat!

Why is their always the Babes vs. Girls?

Some people like About You Now and others don't. Some people like Call the Shots and others don't. Get over it already. I don't like a lot of Sugababes new stuff; I think it's run of the mill and a bit used (Kelly Clarkson x 3, anyone?). I'm going to reserve judgement for Tangled Up because how can you base an album off the first two singles?

So, case in point, this thread is for Girls Aloud discussion - not a battle of the two popular girl groups singles.

P.S.
Call the Shots > About You Now.

P.P.S.
The was a joke. Sort of. I prefer Call the Shots but let's leave it at that.

Well someone else started it *sounds like an eight-year-old in the playground*, I just fancied being a little provocative too (seeing I couldn't post all day!). I, too would prefer it if the comparisons would stop but they keep coming up and sometimes I can't resist putting my oar in.

But like I've said before, love and peace!

And another thing, I still love Sexy! No No No… but it's overshadowed now by the new single. Bit of a shame.

B

BachelorNo2

I still love it too. It's still getting very heavy rotation from me, much in the same way that SKO did last year, and I still play that quite regularly.

And you all have my apologies for the Babes outburst! I meant every word, but usually I keep these things inside, but I've been off work the last two days very ill with the kitchen fitters and electricians in banging through walls and whatnot. It's made me quite irritable!

I don't really mind the Sugababes and Girls Aloud comparisons but I just don't want to see it get out of hand. Let's not have any e-murder or anything like that.

Maybe we need an official Sugababes vs Girls Aloud thread to stop the same moronic off-topic postings happening in every thread.

This reminds me of a SAW track, but it appears somebody forgot to include the hooks. It's "noice", but I was hoping for something a bit more catchy. Favourite part is the wishy washy bridge though.

B

BachelorNo2

I try not to involve myself in comparisons usually, but when I'm as irritiable as I have been the last few days...well. I'll gladly say something is shit in the right topic, but when it gets dragged up in EVERY GA and Babes thread it's beyond tedious and we all snap sometimes!

Insane Platypus said:
Maybe we need an official Sugababes vs Girls Aloud thread to stop the same moronic off-topic postings happening in every thread.

As amazing as that would be to see, I can see several people getting banned off the back of it! Though that would surely clean up the GA and Babes threads from the people that feel the need to always bring it up.

popknark said:
This is the first single since "Jump" I believe has serious potential to be an international hit. Swedish radio would love this.

That funny because one of my first thoughts on hearing this sing was that it's 'Eurovision-y'. It does have a Euro sound to me. It's not always a sound that I like, but thiss song has grown on me a lot.

xenomania said:
I was being glib, and I wasn't referring to Mr PJ but PopJustice as a whole (aka PopJustice et al), including the posters. And how ridiculous is it to say that because PJ liked one mid-tempo pop song, it follows that PJ would like another?

And your standards are a bit high...an 80 page thread on SI_CANNOT_USE_REAL_WORDS_PROPERLY = cold shoulder? And Something Kinda Ooooh was nominated for the PJ prize. You can make the case that Girls Aloud are more valued and not overvalued, but to say that they are underappreciated here is bogus.

aethyrsprite said:
xenomania said:
I know PopJustice et al have a contractual obligation to find every Girls Aloud track to be a Pop Triumph (tm)(c) [...].

Non of my business, but that's a bit unfair.
PJ has actually given the cold shoulder to S!I_CANNOT_USE_REAL_WORDS_PROPERLY_; and the reception of SKO was not very enthusiastic either, if i remember well. We mostly interpreted such lukewarm-ness as symptomatic of PJ's 'link' to Fascination: to avoid being seen as 'advertising'.(As a matter of fact we don't know that a PJ-Fascination link exists at all: they've issued a compilation two years back. So?).
Alterativelly, it isquite clear that PJ has a tooth for well done mid-tempo pop songs. If they praised the recent Suggababes issue, it makes perfect sense to do the same with the Shots, since they both are of similar mould.

Something Kinda Ooooh was nominated for the prize two months ago, i.e. well post-festum. The complains i was refering to were made on the very time of its release (which was very un-celebrated in the PJ site -not forum).
Also, i do not think you imply that 80 FORUM pages on S!I_CANNOT_USE_REAL_WORDS_PROPERLY_ was written by the PJ staff? Oh, i see, you include every forum-poster in the equation. I.e. we ALL HAVE A CONTRACTUAL OBLIGATION WITH FASCINATION! Including you, of course.

Even if you didn't have these points completely wrong, you still need to show a PJ pattern of pushing Fascination products. I repeat: lukewarm welcome to SKO; cold-shoulder treatment to S!I_CANNOT_USE_REAL_WORDS_PROPERLY_; no trumpeting of the Greatest Hits; positive -but no extraordinary- reaction to SEB releases; similar with the Klaxons; GA away from the 'chart of truth pick for some years now; not ot say anything about Walk This Way and I Think We're Alone Now. The ONLY case of full-blood support on a Fascination product by PJ-proper is now, with Call the Shots. In the forums, the last case of unanimous approval of a GA release was with SKO.

In any case, you are making an accusation that either PJ HQ; or all of us circulate opinions informed by unconfessed material interest. It's up to you to show us some proof. Preferably something better than PJ said WOW!!! for Call the Shots.

G

graffitimysoul

To be honest, I think they've done what the fans wanted.
A lot of people complained because Sexy! No No No... was "a load of noise", the whole innovative thing didn't work well, and now people are complaining because Call the Shots isn't innovative.

I love both, but I would probably love anything Girls Aloud touch. Apart from their disgusting boyfriends.

Love the Xenomania mix too, btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.