Girls Aloud - General Discussion | Page 3664 | The Popjustice Forum

Girls Aloud - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by marknyc, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Life Got Cold was my immediate fave from the album, so I was glad it was single #3. We're lucky that Jump was almost a wake up call for them to go in that zanier direction @Runawaywithme described, but that short period of time in 2003 where they served bratty and moody with No Good Advice/Life Got Cold was a treat.

Sugababes had the brooding cool factor and sophisticated balladry on lock though, so we won in the end by getting both girl groups at their best. A decade <3

2. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Life Got Cold is immaculate and cruelly overlooked. Love the colour palette of the video too.

3. And Nicola gets a good sing on Life Got Cold. An early days rareity.

4. I finished Sarah's book yesterday... heartbreaking, but also so nice to get to know a bit more about her and her life.

I've been on a bit of a Girls Aloud binge around reading and realised that I never really got into the latter albums only the singles really, so it's been nice to hear some new to me songs.

The debut is still my favourite album from them though, which is probably a really unpopular opinion. It just transports me right back to when it first came out and has so many great bops on it, and Life Got Cold, which is one of my favourites of theirs.

I also watched the Ten tour for the first time last night and rather enjoyed the trip down memory lane (thankfully the version I watched on YouTube had cut Call Me Maybe and Beautiful...).

5. I'm glad they went back in and did a single mix for I Think We're Alone Now. I mean, it wouldn't be top tier Girls Aloud in any form, but the single mix is significantly better.

6. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

It only recently hit me how much of a Jump ripoff that single mix was.
    I also feel really lucky that the 2CD I ordered had the album mix and the 1CD had the single mix.

7. I'd be interested to hear What A Feeling. It would certainly have been a more inspired choice, considering I Think We're Alone Now feels a bit overdone. I mean even Tiffany's is a cover.

8. We got What A Feeling in the Chemistry tour so it wasn't a huge loss.

9. I’m glad they never released that cause I fucking hate that song.

10. It’s so odd that there are two instances (this and Wicked Game) where we know the songs were sat ready to go and at the last second pulled and yet they’ve never been included as a b-side or on a rarities disc etc.

11. Always figured this could be a rights thing? Why bother paying the licensing to the original writers etc. to just slap on a bonus disc somewhere.

Nephilim and ohaimanabu like this.
  12. Their only really inspired cover was 'Jump' which at least did something completely different to the song. The others were basically 'copy note for note' with diminished returns or 'copy but make it noisy' in the case of 'I think we're alone now'.

By the stages of See the day onwards they didn't need covers and I actually feel that they were to the detriment of the credibility they were building up.

13. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Jump still goes off.

14. Do you think the finished version would've sounded as karaoke-lite as this?

ohaimanabu likes this.
  15. Given the (lack of) label investment they had at the time, probably.

16. ADM

ADM

I know the Sugababes are a lot more sensitive/attached/whatever to the music, Team GA should definitely take notes from today! They wouldn’t have to get back in to the studio like the Sugababes done

(I am and I’m sure everyone else is very sensitive to the situation and how uncertain the times are for them.)

ohaimanabu and j267 like this.
  17. SBK

SBK

Yeah, Jump was great, I hated when the live band did it like the original. The Tangle Up tour version was pretty much a Pointer Sisters Karaoke version.

There wasn't really a lot they could do with the ballad covers.

I do like the rushed album version of I Think We're Alone Now. I know its not revolutionary, but the backing track is brilliant and basic.

I do wonder about this, did they have Brian just phone it in, or did they get him to do a Jump, I guess we'll never know... Until Polydor unlock the vault.

I just can't imagine what their cover of Wicked Game sounds like. I'm not even sure I ever want to know, I hate the original so unless Xenomania ripped it into a completely new song, I presume it sounds terrible.

18. To be honest I would be quite disappointed with something similar. A re-issue of the first album with some rarities/remixes thrown in? No thanks! At the very least I would want a new single to mark the anniversary and a big tour. (Of course this comment would only apply in a world where Sarah is safe - right now her health is the only priority)

ohaimanabu and actorandlyricist like this.
  19. SBK

SBK

Sure just the first album would be disappointing, but I think reissues and box sets are the best we can expect at the moment.

lushLuck and actorandlyricist like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.