Girls Aloud - Out of Control

Popjustice

Staff member
he/him
If this was about giving something back to the fans, the band (or, let's get real here, the label) would make the tracks free for download from their website.

True. But it doesn't justify illegally donwloading them. If you'r eonly going to listen to them once or twice then why not just watch them on youtube?

D

debord

Numerology said:
debord said:
Numerology said:
debord said:
Numerology said:
debord said:
But if you download it you still don’t know what you’re about to listen to and still have the excitement of a first play.

Well, yes, this is true. But for one thing, buying its legal, and for another, it just means more to me when I buy it, maybe because it's the complete package, something I can hold in my hands, and a nice little booklet with all the credits that I obsessively read. I can understand why people don't wait, I didn't used to until now, but after today I consider it a lot more special.

The 'legal' argument means zilch to me. I spent a shitload on records and gigs and have bought the album despite already having the music. I will certainly illegally download the demo snippets on the special edition without any guilt whatsoever.

But you wouldn't steal the special edition from the shop, so why would you illegally download it? If they've taken the time (however little time it may be) to satisfy the fans wants and gather together a load of goodies, I think paying for them is most certainly the decent thing to do.

Either that or just not buying the album and waiting until the special edition. I've downloaded music illegally before i'll admit, but it feels a bit hollow when you're spinning a record on you iPod that you don't own, that some retarded hacker 100 miles away probably masturbated over before ripping.

You get money from jobs for a reason, it's so you can exchange it for things you want. And if you want the special stuff, you should buy it with a tenner you're not likely to spend on anything really worthwhile.

Because I have already paid for the album, just like I have paid for every other Girls Aloud album and the Girls Aloud gig I've been to and the Girls Aloud dvd I own. They have plenty of my money. If they want to try and get more out of me by cynically releasing a 'special edition' a few weeks after releasing the original then I have no problem at all in illegally downloading the extra material. Just like I did for the extra singles on Rihanna's last album which I had already bought. You're right, I earn money from a job and I value that too much to throw money at cynical, cash-grabbing record labels who don't give a shit about 'fans'. If you think the 'special edition' is about 'satisfying fans' then we have a very different idea of what that means. I think it's about exploiting them.

Of course it's about exploiting fans. Pop music must be getting quite boring for you with such a cynical head on debored. Sometimes it's just nice to believe that they're giving something back to the fans. Of course it's a naive thing to think, but it's all just part of being a fan, part of the excitement and anticipation. I feel sorry for you if it's just been reduced to systematically downloading extras and other things you can't be bothered to buy.

Infact, everything i've just said is completley irrelevant. Illegally downloading makes you a theif. You're taking something that isn't yours. Bottom line.

You're not talking about pop music, you're talking about the music industry. Two different things. I can get plenty excited, inspired and moved by music without giving a shit about the cynical ploys record labels resort to in order to try and make more money. If this was about 'giving something to the fans' they would have released the special edition today and the fans could have opted to buy that. They know full well that hardcore fans will instead have to buy the album twice.

And you already said you had illegally downloaded, so where your indignant finger-wagging comes from I'm not sure. When it comes to morality I think my illegal downloading weighs up quite nicely against 'let's fleece some excited teens out of their money'.

Numerology said:
Sometimes it's just nice to believe that they're giving something back to the fans. Of course it's a naive thing to think, but it's all just part of being a fan, part of the excitement and anticipation.

That is very naive. If they had wanted fans to buy just one version they would have released the standard edition and the deluxe version on the same day, not a month apart. This deluxe edition is nothing other than a Christmas cash in on an album that has, as it is, only just been released. They haven't even really given fans the choice to decide, as no tracklist has been announced for the fan edition and most fans won't wait a month to buy the special edition, especially as they want to get Girls Aloud to chart well in the first week of sale. 'Clips and snippets' have been listed to be included on the new bonus disc but are 6 minutes worth of recording sessions really worth another £15?

debord said:
Numerology said:
debord said:
Numerology said:
debord said:
Numerology said:
debord said:
But if you download it you still don’t know what you’re about to listen to and still have the excitement of a first play.

Well, yes, this is true. But for one thing, buying its legal, and for another, it just means more to me when I buy it, maybe because it's the complete package, something I can hold in my hands, and a nice little booklet with all the credits that I obsessively read. I can understand why people don't wait, I didn't used to until now, but after today I consider it a lot more special.

The 'legal' argument means zilch to me. I spent a shitload on records and gigs and have bought the album despite already having the music. I will certainly illegally download the demo snippets on the special edition without any guilt whatsoever.

But you wouldn't steal the special edition from the shop, so why would you illegally download it? If they've taken the time (however little time it may be) to satisfy the fans wants and gather together a load of goodies, I think paying for them is most certainly the decent thing to do.

Either that or just not buying the album and waiting until the special edition. I've downloaded music illegally before i'll admit, but it feels a bit hollow when you're spinning a record on you iPod that you don't own, that some retarded hacker 100 miles away probably masturbated over before ripping.

You get money from jobs for a reason, it's so you can exchange it for things you want. And if you want the special stuff, you should buy it with a tenner you're not likely to spend on anything really worthwhile.

Because I have already paid for the album, just like I have paid for every other Girls Aloud album and the Girls Aloud gig I've been to and the Girls Aloud dvd I own. They have plenty of my money. If they want to try and get more out of me by cynically releasing a 'special edition' a few weeks after releasing the original then I have no problem at all in illegally downloading the extra material. Just like I did for the extra singles on Rihanna's last album which I had already bought. You're right, I earn money from a job and I value that too much to throw money at cynical, cash-grabbing record labels who don't give a shit about 'fans'. If you think the 'special edition' is about 'satisfying fans' then we have a very different idea of what that means. I think it's about exploiting them.

Of course it's about exploiting fans. Pop music must be getting quite boring for you with such a cynical head on debored. Sometimes it's just nice to believe that they're giving something back to the fans. Of course it's a naive thing to think, but it's all just part of being a fan, part of the excitement and anticipation. I feel sorry for you if it's just been reduced to systematically downloading extras and other things you can't be bothered to buy.

Infact, everything i've just said is completley irrelevant. Illegally downloading makes you a theif. You're taking something that isn't yours. Bottom line.

You're not talking about pop music, you're talking about the music industry. Two different things. I can get plenty excited, inspired and moved by music without giving a shit about the cynical ploys record labels resort to in order to try and make more money. If this was about 'giving something to the fans' they would have released the special edition today and the fans could have opted to buy that. They know full well that hardcore fans will instead have to buy the album twice.

And you already said you had illegally downloaded, so where your indignant finger-wagging comes from I'm not sure. When it comes to morality I think my illegal downloading weighs up quite nicely against 'let's fleece some excited teens out of their money'.

Yes i've downloaded before, but i've resolved not to now, and besides, your reasoning makes it okay for a murderer to say "Yeah, what i've done isn't wrong, everyone go and do it!" (a sane one anyway).

Besides, surely if you felt that way you could just wait until the release of the special edition. Unless your calling yourself an "excited teen".

For me it's about not having to listen to shitty versions of songs I can buy and have with better quality on my iPod. I downloaded Don't Stop and I regret that for a few reasons so I am proud to say I waited for today to buy the new Girls Aloud album. I enjoy getting the whole package in one go. Not to take away from just downloading the album and I do download albums off iTunes but I make an exception for groups I love.

Went into the huge HMV in Edinburgh (next door to my work) today and its been massively displayed! More than any album this week *thumbs up*, top shelf - 3rd shelf! And another section.

Went back at the end of the day and a fair good lot of copies had gone! Yay!

Popjustice

Staff member
he/him
Doug Aloud said:
Went into the huge HMV in Edinburgh (next door to my work) today and its been massively displayed! More than any album this week *thumbs up*, top shelf - 3rd shelf! And another section.

Labels pay to have their products prominently displayed in shops.

Popjustice said:
Doug Aloud said:

Labels pay to have their products prominently displayed in shops.

What a scandal!

D

debord

Let's not forget that home taping, burning and sharing cds, copyright infringement on Youtube ETC ETC are all also 'illegal', so if that is your sole barometer of morality then you should probably stay far away from technology.

I'm with Cleggar and irishdave at the moment with feeling underwhelmed and missing those big catchy choruses. But then I've had so many thoughts about this album today. My first and second listen was at work (doing a Photoshop clipping path around Nigel Havers while listening to Untouchable didn't seem quite right). Then the third listen started at the gym and I felt a bit bored with it. I've felt disappointment/oh I quite like this one/what the…?/*yawn*/then the need to find a helpline for disappointed Girls Aloud fans. Then I listened to some more walking home in the dark (the start of Revolution In The Head being compared to The Shining made me feel a bit spooked) and it started to make sense.

So I need to give this album a chance, before I go and find another band to love.

Can't seem to find a song worth putting on my iPod except the Pet Shop Boys one. Oh well, I did steal it so I don't deserve to enjoy it. But they don't deserve my money either.

Why the hell wasn't Girl Overboard a single? And why is there nothing as good as it on the new one? Meh.

I'd be more interested in the sales figures than the chart positions really. That's what matters ultimately. I love how well put together this album is and how in many ways the future for Girls Aloud continues to look more rosy as things go on. It's amazing how much they've come together as a band in the last year or two.