Girls Aloud - Out of Control

S

someboy0716

This album doesn't give you the rush Tangled Up does when you first listen to it, but I love it, some of the best of Girls Aloud is on this album, and there's only one track I skip (granted I start at The Loving Kind).
 
lisaj said:
I'm with Cleggar and irishdave at the moment with feeling underwhelmed and missing those big catchy choruses. But then I've had so many thoughts about this album today. My first and second listen was at work (doing a Photoshop clipping path around Nigel Havers while listening to Untouchable didn't seem quite right). Then the third listen started at the gym and I felt a bit bored with it. I've felt disappointment/oh I quite like this one/what the…?/*yawn*/then the need to find a helpline for disappointed Girls Aloud fans. Then I listened to some more walking home in the dark (the start of Revolution In The Head being compared to The Shining made me feel a bit spooked) and it started to make sense.

So I need to give this album a chance, before I go and find another band to love.
I think it feels rushed. The songs don't feel like they've had much done to them. It's not like they've been crafted to perfection like some other album tracks i.e. Graffiti My Soul, Black Jacks. If I'm honest, it all feels very bland and almost like they're imitating themselves. Their lyrics lack the punch they once did, and it all just feels a bit flat.

I think release The Loving Kind but then after that, I don't know.

It's basically an album, not a Girls Aloud album.
 
cleggar said:
lisaj said:
I'm with Cleggar and irishdave at the moment with feeling underwhelmed and missing those big catchy choruses. But then I've had so many thoughts about this album today. My first and second listen was at work (doing a Photoshop clipping path around Nigel Havers while listening to Untouchable didn't seem quite right). Then the third listen started at the gym and I felt a bit bored with it. I've felt disappointment/oh I quite like this one/what the…?/*yawn*/then the need to find a helpline for disappointed Girls Aloud fans. Then I listened to some more walking home in the dark (the start of Revolution In The Head being compared to The Shining made me feel a bit spooked) and it started to make sense.

So I need to give this album a chance, before I go and find another band to love.
I think it feels rushed. The songs don't feel like they've had much done to them. It's not like they've been crafted to perfection like some other album tracks i.e. Graffiti My Soul, Black Jacks. If I'm honest, it all feels very bland and almost like they're imitating themselves. Their lyrics lack the punch they once did, and it all just feels a bit flat.

I think release The Loving Kind but then after that, I don't know.

It's basically an album, not a Girls Aloud album.

Actually that is it, it doesn't feel like a Girls Aloud album, the ones that sound like Pet Shop Boys are all very well (and my god the phrase be careful what you wish for… has never felt more apt), but I want Girls Aloud thanks. I'm having trouble picking out who is singing what at times, it seems a lot of the usual vocal characteristics of the girls have been buried a bit. I'm all for them adapting their sound and it's good that it isn't Chemistry II or Tangled Up II but I'm not sure I like this. It does feel rushed, timed to benefit from Cheryl on The X Factor, Christmas, and then the girls do the tour next Spring.

I really hope I do come around.
 
There's criticism to be made, as always, but picking on the vocals seems to me the most odd choice of a negative. I think, most of all, it's their vocal work which has improved on this album. "Sometimes, I watch you when you're sleeping" is the best bit of singing Sarah's ever done, perhaps pared with "I remembeeeer living the dream". And the other girls as well come into their own as individual voices.
 
I'm not saying the vocals are bad at all, on the contrary, they're very good, it's just that I can't seem to pick out the individual voices as well as I usually do.
 
lisaj said:
I'm not saying the vocals are bad at all, on the contrary, they're very good, it's just that I can't seem to pick out the individual voices as well as I usually do.

Don't force yourself to like an album, Lisa, if you don't like Out Of Control then that's okay. I don't like most of What Will The Neighbours Say. Not every fan of Girls Aloud like every song or album they do. I personally think Out Of Control is superb. I'll give my full verdict tomorrow night but right now I really do like it. If Tangled Up was a side step away from Chemistry then I think Out Of Control is a sequel or continuation to Chemistry. And Chemistry is my favourite Girls Aloud album. Last week, anyway.
 
lisaj said:
But if I don't like Out Of Control it's the end!! *is being over-dramatic*

No it's not. You might love their next album. Personally, I screamed like a girl when I saw Johnny Marr's name on the credits. Johnny Marr on a Girls Aloud album. Alongside the Pet Shop Boys. It's like...God loves me and he gives me things that I want. This is one of those instances.

I'd like to add I was shocked at my dislike for some of Annie's second album and you know how much of an Annie fan I am. However I take comfort in knowing that what I heard wasn't the final album but a prelude to Paul Epworth/Annie greatness.
 
Kirkland said:
lisaj said:
But if I don't like Out Of Control it's the end!! *is being over-dramatic*

No it's not. You might love their next album. Personally, I screamed like a girl when I saw Johnny Marr's name on the credits. Johnny Marr on a Girls Aloud album. Alongside the Pet Shop Boys. It's like...God loves me and he gives me things that I want. This is one of those instances.

Well those are good reasons for me to love it. Anyway, a few people have told me the album is a grower, so we shall see.
 
lisaj said:
Kirkland said:
lisaj said:
But if I don't like Out Of Control it's the end!! *is being over-dramatic*

No it's not. You might love their next album. Personally, I screamed like a girl when I saw Johnny Marr's name on the credits. Johnny Marr on a Girls Aloud album. Alongside the Pet Shop Boys. It's like...God loves me and he gives me things that I want. This is one of those instances.

Well those are good reasons for me to love it. Anyway, a few people have told me the album is a grower, so we shall see.

It's not as instant as Tangled Up. Not by a million miles. But it does have some of the best of Girls Aloud on it.
 
This is a good album, but it's not a good Girls Aloud album. Shame.

I want to skip to the next album: more punchy tracks, fun lyrics, big intros, quirks, hugely catchy powerful choruses. If only Sexy! No no no... had been as big as Call the Shots, maybe then they would have used that as the template for this album.

Maybe it will grow...
 
This album got me instantly, much more quickly than Tangled Up. I just feel it's closer to the majority of what I listen to outside of GA, which is indie rock/pop/electronica and the like.
 

Mvnl

Staff member
Am I alone in thinking Untouchable would be so much better if it actually builded up a bit more?
Apart from the intro, the beat's the same all the time, all the choruses seem identical and even the instrumental bits are the same 2 times.. I was expecting much more buildup from a 6 minute-song, with extra bits of instrumentations, vocals and beats added with each verse.. The beautiful robot-bit is great, but it takes a bit long to get there, and before it I don't necessarily hear anything that couldn't have been achieved within a 3-minute-song.
 
N

nnnumb

I got it this afternoon. My GOD! How good is Untouchable?! And that's without mentioning The Loving Kind, which is clearly one of the best things ever commited to CD.

Pop is indeed very much alive!
 
For me, OOC, like Tangled Up and the Promise itself - i liked them from first listen but while they didn't as much 'grow' on me - it took a few listens for me to properly 'get' them. Maybe it's just personal preference but the more melancholy, mature feel of this album really does it for me. These songs really move me in a way only Call The Shots really did before. Everything just feels richer, deeper, more full - and i think that's testament to everything: the Girls vocals, the production and instrumentation, the writing, all of it.
 
I think, mostly, I'm just glad that each album is different. When I go back to Tangled Up I'm surprised, "oh, so it's THAT good." Same with Chemistry. Then I go back to OoC and keep on loving it. Not to sound like a raving lunatic because there are definitive weaknesses with all of the three albums, but they compliment eachother and contribute to a rich, deep discography.
 
RedOne said:
This is a good album, but it's not a good Girls Aloud album. Shame.

I want to skip to the next album: more punchy tracks, fun lyrics, big intros, quirks, hugely catchy powerful choruses. If only Sexy! No no no... had been as big as Call the Shots, maybe then they would have used that as the template for this album.

Maybe it will grow...

Ahem... The Promise, Rolling Back..., Love Is The Key, Turn To Stone, Revolution In The Head. All have intros I heart.

Midweeks tommorow.. ahhh!!
 

Top