Girls Aloud - Out of Control

So I'm two-thirds through the album now and here's my verdict:

The Promise - sounds so much better in the context of the album. I've never thought it was a bad song, just that it could have been sung by various other people and it was a bit cheesy (key change, hello!). If it was an album track I'd have quite enjoyed bopping along to it but choosing it as the lead single just made it so hard to digest. 6/10

The Loving Kind - not quite a retread of CTS but certainly trying to create something similar because of its success. If this had come before CTS we'd have all probably preferred this but it never, so for now its just a nice song to me. A nice song with nice vocals and a bit more dancey than CTS. 7/10

Rolling Back the Rivers - Urgh, not much needs to be said here. Boring song which may well be 'nice' but its dull. Admittedly the Cheryl vocoder middle 8 is good but thats all its got going for it. Three tracks in and all this slushy cheese is making me a bit dizzy. 3/10

Love is the Key - When people say its 'Waiting' meets 'Boots Are Made For Walkin' they are totally right. Its quite a good song I guess but nothing about it really grabs my attention. I do love the 'oh ohho oh ohho' sounds though, very catchy touch. 6.5/10

Turn to Stone - I like how its electro-tinged and quite dark. The chorus is catchy but my god, how many times is it repeated?! This song goes on far too long, something I could say for quite a few songs on here. 5.5/10

Untouchable - now this is one song I was really looking forwards to. We were told it was 6 and a half minutes of electro madness but I'm left a bit disappointed. Yet another ethereal mid-tempo song. Don't get me wrong, it is nice and Nadine's bit is very emotional. But there's plenty other songs on here that tick the 'nice' box so couldn't they have just sacrificed it for one song and went for a full rave-up? *sigh* 7/10

Fix Me Up - I love the male intro! 'this is v promising' I think to myself, then 20 seconds in Sarah starts screeching all over it. Its SO good hearing Nadine in this song, she should have had more vocals here. It has a very old school sound which kinda works but it doesn't totally cut the mustard for me. At least they used the intro voice through the song. 5.5/10

Love is Pain - this song makes me very, very upset. It starts off without really having much impact on me, a bit samey to songs before it (like Turn to Stone). The 'walk away, walk away' bits are quite catchy. Then for the last 40 seconds the song is saved, Cheryl's 'love is pain oh oh oh oh' is amazing! Such a catchy hook, WHY couldn't they have used this through the whole song? Better yet, imagine this being the chorus/hook for a stomper SKO style. Oh me, what a waste. *cries* 6.5/10

Sadly quite disappointed so far. Miss You Bow Wow better be good. Or else.

People's responses seem about on par with how I felt when I heard the album last thurs for the first time, and essentially still feel.
The songs are massive, but almost in a rushed, needed some editing up, kind of way.
The vocals seem different to me as well. More auto-tuned tbh on many of the tracks, and I think that is the reason some voices are less distinguishable.
Also you really do want a break down and dance moment like CTL or Sexy! somewhere in there. I guess Chemistry didn't really have a massive dance pop stomper either though, I just grew to expect that from them later. There are some great upbeat numbers but none have that CLICK that forces you to dance uncontrollably.
Someone also said they feel like they're imitating themselves and I am getting a weird feeling of that too. Seeing the Tangled Up Tour DVD even, something in them seemed different.
(Cough LACK OF NADINE Cough)
I don't know why but for some reason now they feel more manufactured than ever to me.
Oh, Miss You Bow Wow just came on. This song is fantastic.
I think it's a great album I guess it just doesn't top their last one to my ears, although quality-wise it does...except for the whole Sarah's "Get loose Footloose!" type sound throughout.
Maybe I just need to see more of the new material live. Maybe I need to ignore the awful editing in the DVD. They'll recapture my love, but I do think there is a different taste in the soup of girls aloud lately. Can't put my finger on it, but something in the recipe seems off.

Im glad more people feel underwhelmed by it.

For me it comes in behind Chemistry and Tangled up. It feels more complete than tangled up did, but the tracks don't seem as impressive as previous tracks.
when i first listened to it I felt a lot of the tracks were repeating themselves

peachonice said:
Love is Pain - Then for the last 40 seconds the song is saved, Cheryl's 'love is pain oh oh oh oh' is amazing! Such a catchy hook, WHY couldn't they have used this through the whole song? Better yet, imagine this being the chorus/hook for a stomper SKO style. Oh me, what a waste. *cries* 6.5/10
I never really thought about it but if that were the hook, i'd probably like that song a lot more. It's the thing i look forward to when I'm listening.

Dial-999 said:
peachonice said:
Love is Pain - Then for the last 40 seconds the song is saved, Cheryl's 'love is pain oh oh oh oh' is amazing! Such a catchy hook, WHY couldn't they have used this through the whole song? Better yet, imagine this being the chorus/hook for a stomper SKO style. Oh me, what a waste. *cries* 6.5/10
I never really thought about it but if that were the hook, i'd probably like that song a lot more. It's the thing i look forward to when I'm listening.
Maybe they could re-jig it for a radio edit... if they were to release it.

Irishdave2 said:
I messed up with my earlier post but I agree wholeheartedly with everything Cleggar said.

Something seems to be missing for me these days with Girls Aloud. I like Out Of Control but it does not come near to the standard set by previous albums. The excitement factor for me has diminished with this album.

As someone said earlier,I really dont know how these album tracks will generate excitement/buzz at a live concert.The attitude/adrenalin rush of their previous songs seems to have vanished.

Maybe we're just getting used to listening to them. Rarely does anything sound as fresh as the first time. I can clearly remember where I was when I first heard Biology. I know they'll never bowl me over again in quite the same way. Which is kinda sad...

Pen Expers said:
ElectricPlatypus said:
I do think there is a different taste in the soup of girls aloud lately. Can't put my finger on it

Them actually selling well.

This is what i find so funny is that they are going through their best sales/public awareness with what is probably their most experimental album. I think with Out Of Control, time will tell what this era has to give though - people's opinions might change by the time the third/fourth single is out/the tour

V

vasilios

I bet the other considered title for the album was Swimming With The Sharks.
It have an amazing swimsuit cover, too.

Hmmm. I think if Tangled Up was a sidestep from Chemistry, Out Of Control was a sidetep in a different direction. I think this diagram demonstrates it best:

Out Of Control Tangled Up
\\ //
guitars/synths \\ // bonkers rave pop
\\ //
Chemistry
||
What Will The Neighbours Say?
||
Sound Of The Underground

Numerology said:
Hmmm. I think if Tangled Up was a sidestep from Chemistry, Out Of Control was a sidetep in a different direction. I think this diagram demonstrates it best:

Somehow this makes a lot of sense. Not bad.

Numerology said:

I'd have said it was more that Chemistry and Tangled Up presented two very different sides of Girls Aloud and that Out Of Control not only joins these two sounds together but is also a progression

I feel some of the the "argh! it's not as good as Tangled Up or maybe Chemistry" vibes, but i've only had the album for a few hours. It'll need a good week before I can decide. Tangled Up bounced up and down on me for ages.

And there are some golden moments on Out Of Control. And not to want to sound repetitive, but the entireity of Untouchable is one of them. It's possibly the best they've ever recorded.