Girls Aloud - Out of Control

Numerology said:
I feel some of the the "argh! it's not as good as Tangled Up or maybe Chemistry" vibes, but i've only had the album for a few hours. It'll need a good week before I can decide. Tangled Up bounced up and down on me for ages.
And there are some golden moments on Out Of Control. And not to want to sound repetitive, but the entireity of Untouchable is one of them. It's possibly the best they've ever recorded.

Filth!

Catalyst said:
Irishdave2 said:
The excitement factor for me has diminished with this album.
Maybe we're just getting used to listening to them. Rarely does anything sound as fresh as the first time.

But some artists who've been around for ages still generate a lot of hype and excitement when they release an album. My opinion is that the album was rushed out to cash in on X Factor and Xmas sales. Year after year, GA release an album in time for Xmas and its just a formula thats getting old, to be honest. Their music isn't formulaic but their release pattern is the exact opposite. They never take time away to work with Xenomania on refreshing their sound, so when they come back they've hardly been away and theres not much hype.

poploz said:
Numerology said:
I feel some of the the "argh! it's not as good as Tangled Up or maybe Chemistry" vibes, but i've only had the album for a few hours. It'll need a good week before I can decide. Tangled Up bounced up and down on me for ages.
And there are some golden moments on Out Of Control. And not to want to sound repetitive, but the entireity of Untouchable is one of them. It's possibly the best they've ever recorded.

Filth!

That's nothing Tangled Up had it's wicked way with me and didn't even call the next day *cries*

I agree with Numero. There are traces of Chemistry here that were nowhere to be seen on Tangled Up, and similarly very few traces of Tangled Up. I think their discography is a fork and no-one knows where the next tine will sprout from.

As for this being a cash-in, I don't see it at all. It's too eclectic and, yes, fresh for that accusation to stick. As for the 'hype and excitement' I think there's PLENTY of that around.

I actually find some of the parts in the songs embarrassing. They've gone one step too far with the randomness. The chant at the end of Love Is Pain, Nadine's shocking rap in Revolution and the majority of Live In The Country is like a producer said 'Now, how can we be like Girls Aloud? I know, let's talk rubbish and chant things'. And it just doesn't work.

cleggar said:
I actually find some of the parts in the songs embarrassing. They've gone one step too far with the randomness. The chant at the end of Love Is Pain, Nadine's shocking rap in Revolution and the majority of Live In The Country is like a producer said 'Now, how can we be like Girls Aloud? I know, let's talk rubbish and chant things'. And it just doesn't work.

It's funny, the three things you've mentioned were the three things I was dreading being too gimicky, and I actualkly find that they're the ones that work.

It's mainly bits on Love Is The Key and most of Fix Me Up that have me cringing.

Well, firstly id like to say how ecstatic i am that its now #2 on itunes!!!

And now that i've got the album (i'll keep this brief cos i have to get up for work tomorrow), Quite like the new edit of the Promise, The Loving Kind is the first GA song to make me weep (in a good way), like Spice Girls ballads do, Live in the Country is just all kinds of amazingness, i love Untouchable and want it as a single, Miss You Bow Wow is fun and i really like We Wanna Party as well. At the moment, i'd place this above Chemistry but slightly below Tangled Up. Mainly cos Chemistry there was tracks i instantly skipped, where i can't do this here.

Looking forward to tomorrows midweeks! Though i probably won't be on here until late in the evening so good luck girls!

And what is with the lack of attitude? Girls Aloud are known for being strong and powerful women and all these songs are so pathetic, lyrically. The subjects, I mean.

Call The Shots is tender and beautiful but underneath there's the message of 'I am my own woman and I do what I want', but a lot of the songs are just like 'Oh please love me!' It's quite desperate and not what we're used to from the girls. The Loving Kind is a prime example, as is The Promise, and Untouchable. Where has their bite gone?

Do you know, part of me really wants to be a random casual fan for a day just to see what it would be like to listen to the album with very little pre-conceptions or over-analysis. It is this audience which has swelled considerably in the past year and that needs to be converted so i am concerned that OOC is too experimental for those coming to this album looking for good simple pop.

When i listen to OOC, it is still the same Girls Aloud i know and love from before, but something has changed in their sound and it's something i like. I've said it before but the maturity to the album is still surprising me.

I love the lyrical craziness of Live In The Country, it's the last thing people would expect a band like Girls Aloud to sing. I wouldn't fancy it as a single but I'd love to see a video for it. *will have to imagine own*

cleggar said:
And what is with the lack of attitude? Girls Aloud are known for being strong and powerful women and all these songs are so pathetic, lyrically. The subjects, I mean.

Call The Shots is tender and beautiful but underneath there's the message of 'I am my own woman and I do what I want', but a lot of the songs are just like 'Oh please love me!' It's quite desperate and not what we're used to from the girls. The Loving Kind is a prime example, as is The Promise, and Untouchable. Where has their bite gone?

I think honestly, the bite is still there in certain songs, but they're not feisty teenagers anymore. They've matured, and so has their outlook. There's plenty of attitude on tracks like Love Is Pain and Live In The Country, but apart from that I don't think the album needs any.

Whereas Tangled Up is in your face, Out Of Control is understated.

cleggar said:
a lot of the songs are just like 'Oh please love me!' It's quite desperate and not what we're used to from the girls. The Loving Kind is a prime example, as is The Promise, and Untouchable.

Yes, a lot of the songs do have this sentiment, but it is done in such a beautiful way that instead of coming across needy and weak, it's more on the side of an independence and sadness gained from experiences in the past.

If Chemistry and Tangled Up were the tales of wild flings and parties then Out Of Control is the cold realisation of the day after - the grim reality tinged with the possibility of what the future holds

who is their competition cause i don't think razorlight are in with a shout and snow patrol have already had one week of physical release....

peachonice said:
Catalyst said:
Irishdave2 said:
The excitement factor for me has diminished with this album.
Maybe we're just getting used to listening to them. Rarely does anything sound as fresh as the first time.

But some artists who've been around for ages still generate a lot of hype and excitement when they release an album. My opinion is that the album was rushed out to cash in on X Factor and Xmas sales. Year after year, GA release an album in time for Xmas and its just a formula thats getting old, to be honest. Their music isn't formulaic but their release pattern is the exact opposite. They never take time away to work with Xenomania on refreshing their sound, so when they come back they've hardly been away and theres not much hype.

But SKO aside, they had a large creative gap in between Chemistry & Tangled Up. It's been almost 18 months since we've had any new material from them, and I think they'd have been FOOLS not to have cashed in on the X Factor. More money and public intrest that's been gained from Cheryl's position on the X Factor is welcome by me and hopefully will allow better videos, tours (as faultless as Tangled Up was) and possibly album covers?!
Look at Rhianna for example, you get Pon De Replay, SOS, Umberella then a video like Disturbia... Huge difference due to success.

D

debord

likeapen said:
who is their competition cause i don't think razorlight are in with a shout and snow patrol have already had one week of physical release....

Perhaps you should wait for the midweeks tomorrow before getting over-excited.