Girls Aloud - Out of Control

I would just issue a word of caution to those that have just bought the album: it's a grower. I've had it for about a week now, and at the start I thought there were one or two stand-out tracks, then eventually liked the first half and could do without the rest of the songs, and then in bed with my boyfriend Saturday morning everything clicked (not a metaphowar I swear...) I cannot stop playing it now, and I'm really surprised! It's a great little album, but certainly not as instant as Tangled Up.

Feltano said:
Do you know, part of me really wants to be a random casual fan for a day just to see what it would be like to listen to the album with very little pre-conceptions or over-analysis. It is this audience which has swelled considerably in the past year and that needs to be converted so i am concerned that OOC is too experimental for those coming to this album looking for good simple pop.

When i listen to OOC, it is still the same Girls Aloud i know and love from before, but something has changed in their sound and it's something i like. I've said it before but the maturity to the album is still surprising me.

I think this may be the problem when you love pop music so much, and maybe the problem with this site (not that I'm critising popjustice). I first came on here to talk about pop music that i love, not disect it like a frog in a science experiement, but thats what it seems to have become. Before the internet, i would get excited as i still do, about an new pop release (only then it was Spice Girls/Steps/B*Witched etc...), now everyones a critic and the way we listen and view pop music has changed dramatically.

I try not to go into detail with my thoughts, because i've only just heard it, time will tell whether i will love it or not, and i just want to take pleasure in listening to a new record, without thinking "Oh dear, there's not a Girl Overboard, they've lost their spark, etc)

All i can right now is that i love what i hear, and its not gonna be an album thats played once and never thought of again.

I can't listen to Revolution In The Head. It's the cringiest(sp?) non-cover song of their career. It makes me heave.

I'm happy that this album is (hopefully) shaping up to be a big success, I just wish the success could have come with Tangled Up instead. There are a couple of really good tracks on Out of Control, but a lot of sub-standard Girls Aloud. Sad face.

D

debord

Why are you all writing off Razorlight? They have two UK million sellers behind them. I would have thought top 2 at least would be a given.

debord said:
likeapen said:
who is their competition cause i don't think razorlight are in with a shout and snow patrol have already had one week of physical release....

Perhaps you should wait for the midweeks tomorrow before getting over-excited.

am not that arsed to be honest, just reckon they are going to number 1 and was wondering who their main competition was

Feltano said:
cleggar said:
a lot of the songs are just like 'Oh please love me!' It's quite desperate and not what we're used to from the girls. The Loving Kind is a prime example, as is The Promise, and Untouchable.

Yes, a lot of the songs do have this sentiment, but it is done in such a beautiful way that instead of coming across needy and weak, it's more on the side of an independence and sadness gained from experiences in the past.

Considering what Cheryl, Nadine and Nicola went through with their dumb boyfriends/husband, it wouldn't surprise me if Xenomania had gearted their lyrics towards 'that area'. It's nowhere near as bad as Britney with Born To Make You Happy. Ugh.

debord said:
Why are you all writing off Razorlight? They have two UK million sellers behind them. I would have thought top 2 at least would be a given.

You're right. I might loathe them as everything I hate in music but they've got a huge fanbase.

Feltano said:
cleggar said:
a lot of the songs are just like 'Oh please love me!' It's quite desperate and not what we're used to from the girls. The Loving Kind is a prime example, as is The Promise, and Untouchable.

Yes, a lot of the songs do have this sentiment, but it is done in such a beautiful way that instead of coming across needy and weak, it's more on the side of an independence and sadness gained from experiences in the past.

If Chemistry and Tangled Up were the tales of wild flings and parties then Out Of Control is the cold realisation of the day after - the grim reality tinged with the possibility of what the future holds

Lovely.

debord said:

I'm not writing off Razorlight, i'm just pretty suprised at the amount the Out Of Control is selling. #2 already on iTunes, a feat I think it took until Tuesday for Tangled Up to achieve (or maybe even Wednesday, can't remember), and I had to visit three different stores before I found a copy in stock.

I think those three are likely, although Pink and Razorlight are interchangeable.

I can see this charting in the top 3.

I don't think it's better than Tangled Up but it is amazing.

Great news on #2 on itunes though.

After loving every Girls Aloud album in a huge way, this is the first time I have listened through an album of theirs and not liked anything other than the lead single. Im in a panic. Im on my 9th listen through and still... it's all so meh to me. What is wrong with me???

Disco Ponies said:
After loving every Girls Aloud album in a huge way, this is the first time I have listened through an album of theirs and not liked anything other than the lead single. Im in a panic. Im on my 9th listen through and still...

Your ninth listen? If you don't like it after that then you don't like it!

I honestly think this album could be massively improved with more Nadine. Nadine belting the chorus of Miss You Bow Wow would completely change it, for the better. I have no idea why she's practically hidden on this album. It worked for the 5 before!

Kirkland said:
Feltano said:
cleggar said:

Considering what Cheryl, Nadine and Nicola went through with their dumb boyfriends/husband, it wouldn't surprise me if Xenomania had gearted their lyrics towards 'that area'. It's nowhere near as bad as Britney with Born To Make You Happy. Ugh.
It doesn't suprise me but I don't come to Girls Aloud for that. Every other girlband (no names mentioned) does that. Girls Aloud are known for being innovative and twisting their themes and subjects. But just singing about things in a way we've heard before is just so unlike them.

I hope I come to like/accept it.

I'm really pleased that this album provides a diversion from the relentless energy of Tangled Up. In the early days of GA, I worried that if they maintained any kind of career, they'd become a kiddies and mums band - especially after Love Machine took off... (Yuck).

I guess that now I'm and old man at 25, I don't really want Girls Aloud to always be so in your face. I like the fact that there's a vein of wistful, thoughtful sounds and lyrics that runs through this album. Maturity is hard for any pop group to achieve without becoming either self-indulgent or fucking boring - and they've done it!

I can see why the absence of a raging electro disco biscuits banger is disappointing for some...but why not just listen to Girl Overboard instead!? Everyone's a winner!

Just having a quick look over the lyrics, it struck me how negative and cold a lot of the lyrics are - a fair few of the songs on this album are real shivers down your spine moments for me and i found the emotion behind some of these lyrics really quite chilling

starting to fade

But you turn away
love we left behind
Monday morning/rush hour (dreary monotony of day to day life)
am i not the Loving Kind? (self-doubt)
lost our way
dreaming of yesterday (longing for something in the past)

i was getting lonely/needed you to hold me
shadow in my heart
what could have been
gone are the days of magic/rolling back the rivers in time (again, longing for the past)

i get into debt
used to go for guys that made me cry

don't turn away/just don't leave me now/moving in circles
i stand alone
Turn to stone
did we let it go?
kisses you've stolen
standing in the way of the love we made

it don't matter to me
turning cold
walk away, what a waste

The first time I listened I very much enjoyed it but it's so easy to straight away compare to previous albums and I thought it fell a bit flat but the more I'm listening, it's all coming out of itself. I'm very pleased with it.

Seriously, when they do 'The Loving Kind' on tour I can see TEARS EVERYWHERE.

cleggar said:
I actually find some of the parts in the songs embarrassing. They've gone one step too far with the randomness. The chant at the end of Love Is Pain, Nadine's shocking rap in Revolution and the majority of Live In The Country is like a producer said 'Now, how can we be like Girls Aloud? I know, let's talk rubbish and chant things'. And it just doesn't work.

You think singing 'Love Is Pain Oh-Oh-Oh-Oh' in a song called 'Love Is Pain' is embarassing? And how is the randomness of the lyric of 'Live In The Country' any more rubbish than 'But if I thought I had a shocker, all the folks would say go'.

It's funny the way that 'Tangled Up' is spoke of like 12 instantly catchy and melodic pop songs. Play 'Sexy! No No No','I'm Falling', 'What You Crying For?' or 'Damn' to someone that has never heard those songs before and I'm sure you'll hear them humming along instantly (<<<<< sarcasm).

This album is business as usual for Girls Aloud - ie. a good mix of straightforward, big catchy chorus pop songs and more random, mental and ultimately hard to get into concept tracks.

I think you should try and live with the album a bit longer before you start throwing words like 'embarassing' around, otherwise come 6 months when you love the album the only person that's going to be embarassed is yourself.