Girls Aloud - Out of Control

S

someboy0716

Kirkland said:
Or Lisa, as I did, listen to Chemistry and then this. I threw Tangled Up off my iPod for Chemistry which is fortuitous for me.

This sort of works. Half the album is heavily Chemistry-influenced, but the other half is very Tangled Up!

In all, i reckon there are four albums in serious contention this week: Pink, Snow Patrol, Razorlight, and GA. So, no chance OOC will chart outside the top-5 (or lower than #4 at that).
I "feel" GA will somehow outsell Razorlight; and would vaguely bet that it will also outsell one (at least) of last week's top-two (Snow Patrol look vulnerable -as much as an album with over 100k can fit such description). So, most possible spot is #2 or #3 -preferably the former. Yet, there us serious chance that the other three prove to strong and it finishes at 4. Or that it goes berserk and does a Promise.

It's #3 in Amazon -with Razorlight at#7. This, while Amazon seems to be an 'indie' stronghold (#1 Kings of Leon; #2 Snow Patrol).

The lyric of 'Live In The Country' is quite intentionally matter-of-fact to create the sense that the person singing us has a naivity and lack of understanding about country life.

The story teller is a city dweller that has fetished the country lifestyle in their mind due to stress of city life. To them it feels as glamorous as London did when they first moved there, but their picture of country life is based in fantasy rather than reality - hence the listing of countryside stereotypes.

lisaj said:
Numerology said:
I actually think Live In The Country, a song which could have gone horrificly wrong, actually turned out brilliant. I love the way it starts as quite dark drum and bass, and then becomes very upbeat, and then starts singing about the country! The juxtaposition works very well, but what I love most is the desperate hopefullness in the lyrics.

"Everything will be okay if I live in the country" just aches of someone stuck somewhere they don't want to be, whether literally or in a relationship. It's the naive hope in it that, for me, sometimes even creates a moving moment.

Then of course, the animal noises come in and it's just like waking up from a dream.

That's that the kind of thing Neil Tennant would write about, escaping to a better life. Pet Shop Boys influences are all over this album. I've had six listens today and I'm definitely warming to it now. I have to disregard previous albums and view this independently.

That reminds me, yeah - the PSB influences ae everywhere - from the actual sound of the tracks like Love Is Pain to the lyrics. Escaping to a better life obviously brings to mind Go West (even though it's a cover) and something like I Don't Know What You Want But I Can't Give It Any More (which i still think is one of the best song titles ever) seems to strike a chord with the themes of relationships and stuff on display in OOC.

U

usernametaken

We Wanna Party has grown on me a lot, anyone else finding themselves liking it a lot more than they did initially?

Kirkland said:
The same could be said about...well, Britney. Her comeback last year seems to have heralded another comeback this year. And many would say Britney is a brainless pop puppet whose music is totally throwaway.

That, with all due respect, is a terrible example. Your only using Britney as a point because my avatar tells you I'm a fan. Everyone knows when she 'came back' last year she was in a very unfit state mentally. She was unable to perform, do interviews or make videos very well. It wasn't the Britney people were hoping to have back after 4 years. The music was all there but she wasn't so it was a failed attempt at a comeback. This year she isn't having a comeback in musical terms but instead she is coming back, which could be argued is what people wanted more than her music.

As for a 'brainless pop puppet', she perhaps once was but shes grown artistically. Britney to In The Zone was a growing up transformation. Blackout was dark and represented that time of her life, not to mention she was the Executive Producer so obviously has quite a hand in putting the album together.

Anyway, I don't wanna go on about Britney too much in a GA thread. I just wanted to point out that was a bad example.

D

DiscoWenchy83

It makes me sad to read so many lacklustre responses, or negative ones, or meh ones - because I love the album. I felt more so-so about Tangled Up than I have about OOC, so when people say they feel TU is their best work, I feel that's where I differ. But reading so many pages of, "More Nadine! Where's the quirkiness? I don't feel excited!" is almost making me feel like a bad fan for loving this album. I don't know, it's hard to explain.

DiscoWenchy83 said:
It makes me sad to read so many lacklustre responses, or negative ones, or meh ones - because I love the album...so when people say they feel TU is their best work, I feel that's where I differ. But reading so many pages of, "More Nadine! Where's the quirkiness? I don't feel excited!" is almost making me feel like a bad fan for loving this album. I don't know, it's hard to explain.

That's exactly how I feel :(

Overall, I think I prefer OOC to TU for a few reasons but we'll see if that changes in a few months.

peachonice said:
Kirkland said:
The same could be said about...well, Britney. Her comeback last year seems to have heralded another comeback this year. And many would say Britney is a brainless pop puppet whose music is totally throwaway.

That, with all due respect, is a terrible example.

I think it's a great example actually.

peachonice said:
Your only using Britney as a point because my avatar tells you I'm a fan.

You're right. But I'm doing so to emphasise how wrong you are.

peachonice said:
Everyone knows when she 'came back' last year she was in a very unfit state mentally. She was unable to perform, do interviews or make videos very well. It wasn't the Britney people were hoping to have back after 4 years.

But a comeback was still made. That's the point. Britney's people can't just choose what comeback is her 'proper' comeback. She came back. She released an album. She's 'churned out' another one this year just like Girls Aloud and the Sugababes.

Do you now get what I was trying to say to you?

peachonice said:
As for a 'brainless pop puppet', she perhaps once was but shes grown artistically.

Dear God...

I don't think Britney is a brainless pop puppet. So what if people other than her write her songs and control her fortune? Britney is still an amazing pop icon and I can forgive her much. Well, I think Womanizer is piss poor but still, she's Britney and I love her. However, I don't think she's grown artistically at all. When would she get the time to 'grow artistically' when she's been in the middle of a breakdown? Perhaps she's become more assertive but that's a totally different proposition.

peachonice said:
Anyway, I don't wanna go on about Britney too much in a GA thread. I just wanted to point out that was a bad example.

It's not though. But I agree, we shouldn't discuss this here. But it was worth pointing out.

D

DiscoWenchy83

Pen Expers said:
This thread has mostly been raving, though.

The last few pages really haven't felt very positive at all, not to me anyway! I suppose it's because if you shout the loudest, you get heard, and when you hate something, it shines through all the more.

U

usernametaken

I actually love Out of Control and think it is their best album to date.

The Loving Kind
Turn to Stone
Untouchable
Love is Pain

are the four stand out 'wow' tracks for me, the rest are very good apart from 'Fix Me Up' filler rubbish which we could really live without.

8/10!

D

DiscoWenchy83

And I feel alone loving Fix me Up! Only one I can't listen to (yet) is Rolling Back the Rivers. It's too twee.

S

someboy0716

peachonice said:
Kirkland said:

That, with all due respect, is a terrible example. Your only using Britney as a point because my avatar tells you I'm a fan. Everyone knows when she 'came back' last year she was in a very unfit state mentally. She was unable to perform, do interviews or make videos very well. It wasn't the Britney people were hoping to have back after 4 years. The music was all there but she wasn't so it was a failed attempt at a comeback. This year she isn't having a comeback in musical terms but instead she is coming back, which could be argued is what people wanted more than her music.

As for a 'brainless pop puppet', she perhaps once was but shes grown artistically. Britney to In The Zone was a growing up transformation. Blackout was dark and represented that time of her life, not to mention she was the Executive Producer so obviously has quite a hand in putting the album together.

You forgot to quote the rest of his post, in which he specifically says, "Those comments, however, aren't really accurate and I say that for Girls Aloud as well."

DiscoWenchy83 said:
It makes me sad to read so many lacklustre responses, or negative ones, or meh ones - because I love the album. I felt more so-so about Tangled Up than I have about OOC, so when people say they feel TU is their best work, I feel that's where I differ. But reading so many pages of, "More Nadine! Where's the quirkiness? I don't feel excited!" is almost making me feel like a bad fan for loving this album. I don't know, it's hard to explain.

I love the album, the fact that there isn't a really Nadine-athon makes me a little upset, but it's hardly the end of the world.

As for Britney growing artistically, can we talk about that in the Circus thread, because it's actually an interesting topic!

Mvnl

Staff member
The silly thing is: when TU came out I was very dissapointed (it was kinda impossible not to after the masterpiece Chemistry was) but I ended up thinking: it won't be like this with the next album, cause my expectations are much lower after TU..
Now we're here and somehow all TU-tracks have found a way to become classic GA-tracks, and OOC once again feels like a dissapointment..
I fear I'll only start to really apreciate them once album 6 drops..

Kirkland said:
If someone mentions the word 'stomper' I'll choke them with my shoelaces.

Well I hate to say it then, but I think there are plenty stompers on this album. Granted, they're not similar to previous ones, they're more dance oriented, songs of love and heartbreak and that's a good thing. It shows the experimentation and growth that has come from these album session. 'Miss You Bow Wow' however seems like a sorry excuse for a 'stomper' to me, the odd good lyrics but I don't find the track at all enjoyable.

Whenever i listen to RBtRIT i always imagine the video looking something like this:
fragonard-the-swing.jpg

and on the tour they can perform the song ON SWINGS.

DiscoWenchy83 said:
And I feel alone loving Fix me Up!

Do not feel alone for I am absolutely bonkers about it, as is my GA BFF. It's probably Kimba's moaning, but...

Dial-999 said:
Whenever i listen to RBtRIT i always imagine the video looking something like this:
fragonard-the-swing.jpg

and on the tour they can perform the song ON SWINGS.

That would be AMAZE, but in a way it's too similar to the styling of CSF.