Girls Aloud: Sarah Nicole Harding (1981-2021) | Page 3710 | The Popjustice Forum

Girls Aloud: Sarah Nicole Harding (1981-2021)

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by marknyc, Nov 16, 2007.

1. I thought perhaps I was being over sensitive because there was another journalist from the Times who was defending it saying obituaries are always written this way. But I’m glad others feel the same way. I don’t recall other obituaries giving such a litany of people’s personal struggles without balancing it out with successes and the positive impact of someone.
    Except maybe for a politician whose policies had a negative impact on people. But certainly not for pop stars.

Wishlight, Jacques, Elysium and 7 others like this.
  2. That explains a lot, because their effort wasn't much better.

The Michael Craggs Guardian piece was SO much better than the obituary.

Wishlight, Jacques, Elysium and 8 others like this.
  3. I agree the tone in that so-called “obituary” is plain nasty. You can let the journalist know exactly how you feel as she tweeted it - I certainly will:

Wishlight, Jacques, Elysium and 6 others like this.
  4. There seems to be a conflict between the tone of her tweet and the content of her actual article. From just reading the tweet I would expect a heartfelt tribute, not the nasty tabloid like article that followed. I find that a bit puzzling.

5. I’m tempted to travel to the UK only for this. The emotion it will be…

6. I found that surprising, if only because The Guardian always supported Girls Aloud.

7. I’m so devastated by this. I’m from the states so I discovered GA thru Perez Hilton (barf) circa Call the Shots … but they were such a formative part of my adolescence and coming out and acceptance/eventual celebration of myself. I’ve been thinking a lot about Sarah these past few days. She’s singlehandedly responsible for some of the most iconic moments in the GA canon: “Here I am, walking Primrose.” Her solo on Miss You Bow Wow. The intro to Sound of the Underground. “Take a walk on the wild side of life.”

Such a tremendous loss. Sarah will never be forgotten.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
  8. ADM

ADM

I should be my first gay club experience.

9. It’s so bittersweet seeing this thread at the top of the main forum. I really wish it was because of the girls reuniting not because of this horrible news.

Jacques, StratusJM, Elysium and 11 others like this.
  10. Sarah added a specific ingredient to Girls Aloud which will be sorely missed if they ever were to do a reunion. She was a major contributor to the sound and style of Girls Aloud. I feel proud that she raised me through many of my formative years. She will be missed.

11. This was so well done. Especially with Sarah’s own words at the end. So well put together.

I’ve been in a bit of a trance about Sarah all day at work. As someone else said, for us of a certain age (I’m 34) it’s easy to remember where we were or what was going on in life with each of their releases and tours because they were my formative years. I was lucky enough to meet them in the Chemistry days and they were all lovely, but Nadine & Sarah took extra time and I’ll never forget the interaction my brother and I had with them.

They’ll always, always, always be my favourite musical act of all time. I’ll miss Sarah so much and I can’t believe we’ll never get to see the five of them performing together again. I can’t imagine what the other girls are going through.

12. It bothers me that Pete Waterman, who was involved in about 3% of Sarah’s career, has been interviewed a number of times since her death.

Pleased, however, that King Brian and Queen Miranda have been doing the rounds.

13. I agree. It’s probably too raw though for Peter or Hilary to speak yet, though.

14. I opened the link thinking it wouldn’t be that bad, but you’re right - that “obituary” is horrific. It’s brutal to the point that it sounds personal. Just awful.

15. OMG... Just seeing the title made my heart drop, I was hoping she would make it. Omg I don't even know what to say. Sleep Peacefully Sarah you were truly a gem

upu, Elysium, MusicalMelody and 2 others like this.
  16. This was such a moment.

17. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

18. Oh, of COURSE it's fucking Caroline Sullivan. I can't stand her. (@kaushik arguing with her in the comments on her Make a Scene review was kind of a classic moment of the Sophie thread, though.)

Wishlight, AndrewX, Elysium and 10 others like this.
  19. I don’t know if it’s the right thing to say or not, but there’s something gratifying about how she’s on the cover of literally every British newspaper today. It really shows just how iconic and beloved she was, and how much of a massive stamp her and the girls had on the music industry for a while. I hope her Mum realises just how loved she was by the entire nation.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
  20. HMD

HMD

Rest in peace Sarah :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.